Cambodia Photo Tours by Michael Klinkhamer
Open today: 12:00 AM - 11:59 PM
Review Highlights
Great learning the art of street photography

Reviewed March 21, 2020
Will_M_78NZ
Auckland, New Zealand
I got some great pictures!

Great experience! Michael gave me an expert tour of the Ounalom Pagoda, a local market and some... read more

Reviewed March 11, 2020
Max_Bxl_Belgium
Brussels, Belgium

Recommended experiences in and around Phnom Penh
from $59.00
from $19.99
from $122.06
More Info
See what travelers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed March 21, 2020

Spent the day with Michael and had a great time learning about street photography - something I have never done before.

Particularly as I was taken to areas you wouldn't normally see, but meant I could really see and photograph the reality of daily life in Phnom Penh. These are areas I would not have otherwise seen or have had the confidence to go to.

We had a brief chat on settings to use and Michael advised a few times on what settings he was shooting with, but it was really about how to spot those moments and engage with people to be able to take their photo.

Have some great shots and enjoyed my time with Michael.

Date of experience: March 2020
Reviewed March 11, 2020

Great experience!

Michael gave me an expert tour of the Ounalom Pagoda, a local market and some very picturesque parts of Phnom Penh.

The ferry boat ride is fascinating especially since it crosses where the Tonle Sap River and Mekong River meet.
In Areyksat Village I could photograph different types of houses, the charming chapel and the local communities' way of life.

Michael has been living in Cambodia for a long time and he provided me with very useful tips for my stay.

I Highly recommend this tour.

Date of experience: January 2020
Reviewed March 3, 2020

$75 for for 3.5hrs (8am to 11.35am) - 1hr of which was passed in 2 coffee shops, one of which involved drinking coffee with no conversation, although we did go to the two sites we agreed upon by email.

Unfortunately, Michael showed no enthusiasm and even less interest during the time we were together. We did have a useful conversation about the camera settings (in the first coffee shop) but he made no effort to look at anything I shot or make any suggestions about composition or what to consider when framing a photo even though I did say at the beginning that it would be good to discuss things like this as we moved around.

I felt more of a burden / inconvenience than a client. He walked ahead of me most of the time and never with me - while I was looking for interesting opportunities he seemed in a rush. There were a few other things that I felt uncomfortable with but I don't have time to mention here.

I got much more interesting and engaging photos walking around on my own after our session. .

Overall a very expensive (even by international standards) and disappointing couple of hours.

Date of experience: February 2020
1  Thank vincentdI1646ZI
michaelkH8841MA, Owner at Cambodia Photo Tours by Michael Klinkhamer, responded to this reviewResponded March 15, 2020

I am really sorry that your experience with us was not to your satisfaction.
The same week I had two other photo tours and the contrast between your attitude and the people before you and after you couldn't be more opposite. They thanked me, they loved the tour and fully enjoyed our time together and one guy booked me for another session the next day!
Regarding our price for a half-day photo tour, you forgot to mention that we traveled all over Phnom Penh and I paid for all your transportation.
In reality, you paid USD 60 for my services. That's USD 15 per hour. That is very reasonable for a private tour.

I believe the most important objective for my customers is to find special hidden locations, meet wonderful local people and get off the beaten path in order to make interesting pictures in Cambodia.
That is what I offer since 2013 and that is what I delivered also to you in spades.

In regard to your complaints:
We did not hang in coffee shops at all. We met up at a cafe at 8 am, you had coffee, not me.
We discussed your wishes and I gave you some tips and advice on how to set up your camera for your street photography tour for around 20 minutes.
In honesty within 5 minutes, after I met you, I realized that I would have to work hard to please your demands and kind of standoffish and demanding attitude, to begin with.
I was right about that!

After that, we walked through some amazing streets and alleyways full of local faces in the heart of Phnom Penh.
Yes, after one hour or more I had a coffee and water at a local outside coffee place and that took perhaps 10 minutes in all. Pretty normal and nothing wrong with that.
From there of I was walking with you and pointing things out and was just as open and friendly and open as to all my customers.
What I did notice was that you did not seem to listen or respond at all and sometimes walked away from me while I explained or showed you something. Pretty rude, but I don't mind that really but after this happened, again and again, I decided to I just back of a bit a let you have it your way. I am always open for talk and assisting but when I have the feeling people rather not listen, what's the point then?
With some photographers, you have a bond and an engaging experience and with some, not.
No problem for me, live and let live is my motto. I learned here not to be judgemental.
The whole tour is about making images, not becoming lifetime friends. But even that happens, but clearly not with us.

I did bring you as agreed to very special of the beaten path places unknown to you and walked with you near the fishing village. By the time we traveled all over town and to the next location the abandoned railway yard, we had spent 3.5 hours.
I am offering a photo tour and experience and when people are just so critical to me or Phnom Penh there is not more than I can do than give my best to please them but I will only go to a certain level. The interaction should be engaging and fun. With you it was none. I have to admit.

Our photo tour is in a total of 4 hours and before we finish there are also 15 minutes or more designated to look at your pictures and give my take on them, perhaps in the shade with a cold drink. I can't do that for you in the blazing sun in 35c heat in the slums.
Unfortunately, you decided to cut our session short by 30 minutes so in your case you didn't even allow to finish the session in a proper way.

Thanks for your review anyways.
I hope your pictures from your tour with us prove a different visual story.
At the end that is what really matters in photography.
All the Best!

Reviewed January 25, 2020 via mobile

This tour almost felt like a photography workshop. I am trying to learn how to use my camera in other than automatic mode and Michael gave me lots of tips on how to improve on this skill. He took us off the beaten path and we were able to experience the other side of Phnom Pehn we would otherwise not have gone our own! Highly recommended!!!

Date of experience: January 2020
Reviewed December 30, 2019

First of all this tour is not only for photographers. Anyone who wants to learn about the daily life of Cambodian people and wants to get an inside view and feel of how this lovely city breathes, anyone who wants to get away from the beaten path and the industrialized tourist flows, anyone who is ready to experience the stunning and harsh contrasts the city is built on, should spend a day with Michael in Phnom Penh. Take at least your smartphone though, as you will probably make some photographs along the way, which you will cherish for a lifetime. I had the luck of having Michael all for myself for about ten hours and although I have traveled the world with a camera for most of my life, the day was an unforgettable experience. Michael knows the city, knows its people and knows a lot about photography. He will lay the perfect motives at your feet in and around the city and will take you to street photography paradise. He is sensible and professional and has a unique feel of how much guidance you need, and gives you just that. He is also great company and fun to be with. We had a long day with a lot of footwork in the dust and the tropical sun, but when we finally sat down for a cold drink at the end of the day at the riverside , I could not be happier. I really fully recharged my „visual batteries” for quite some time to come and will definitely be back for more time to explore Cambodia with Michael.

Date of experience: December 2019