“has to be seen”

$110.00*
Phnom Penh Full-Day Small-Group City Tour
Ranked #1 of 123 things to do in Phnom Penh
More attraction details
Owner description: These were the execution grounds for the Khmer Rouge.
Reviewed February 27, 2014

We came to Phnom Penh last year and didn't have the emotional strength to visit Choeung Ek after the horror of S21 so our return visit had us braced for this. The trip from town with our driver was so bumpy and dusty, we were glad not to be in a Tuktuk. We were very moved by the audio tape that leads you round the site, the killing tree had me in tears. My one criticism is that people can take photos everywhere, including the central Stupa. I'm not sure this is appropriate, others may disagree , but I for one don't need pictures to remember.

There are newer reviews for Choeung Ek Genocidal Center

Reviewed February 27, 2014

This is one of the best museum I have visited so far that provides audio tour for tourist to have a better understanding of the killing fields. There's about 129 mass graves that bears testimony to the unspeakable crimes. You will also see victim's clothing displayed, bones and teeth fragments, graves,etc.

Reviewed February 27, 2014

The audio tour is nice. I suggest going early to avoid the crowds and the heat. It is a very sad memorial but a necessity to visit when in town.

Reviewed February 26, 2014

This is a must see in Phnom Penh. You can arrange a Tuk Tuk driver to take you there and back, entrance fee was about $6 and we also got an audio tour which was absolutely marvellous. You can take your time listening to the audio, sit under a tree and take it all in. It is very sad, and I found it very emotional, especially because it was not that long ago. Heads up, there are beggars that look very well fed asking for money in a teary manner and when you are feeling emotional it is very easy to give in, but I would recommend to give that money to the Red Cross or to the museum to ensure it continues. Everybody must go, it was so worth it.

Reviewed February 26, 2014

This is a very hard place to visit but very important to gain an understanding of this recent history. Really good audio tour that gives you a lot of necessary information (the place wouldn't make much sense without it). We got a tuk-tuk driver to take us from the riverfront to here and S21 return for 13 USD.