“Excellent Budget Hotel”

Meng Goldiana 282 Hotel
Ranked #234 of 277 Hotels in Phnom Penh
Reviewed September 22, 2009

I stayed at the Goldiana Hotel with my husband and 13 year old son. We had a great time in Cambodia, and enjoyed our stay at Goldiana Hotel. We liked the location, it was walking distance from the Royal Palace, the river, the central boulevard and central market. There is a big supermarket down on the main road which is rather cheap. Just around the corner from the hotel (take left outside the hotel and walk to the corner of the road. Take another left and up on the corner there is a restaurant with a grill outside. Food is good and cheap and they do chicken wings and satay chicken to die for.
The service at the Goldiana was professional, the rooms had everything required and they also provide free internet service. I loved all the wood in the reception, especially the chairs. The breakfast was rather tired, even though the selection wasn't bad, the food was cold and unappetising. On the whole, we enjoyed our stay at this hotel and thought it was excellent value for the price we paid. Loved the swimming pool on the third floor!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family

Reviewed June 28, 2009

I had previously looked up on this site about this hotel so when I arrived on a group tour I wasn't shocked. The breakfast is not to write home about but overall the hotel was better than I had expected for the basic accomodation. Close to shops to buy the coffee or tea as you get a jug in the room but not the ingredients to go with it. This was a bit weird but our tour of Cambodia was so great the small issues in the Hotel was just a minor issue. We were there only 2 nights so wasn't a major drama. Cambodia is still recovering from the Khmer Rouge days and to venture around the country was our main aim and if we had a room at night to sleep with basic comforts was good enough. It is a basic low rate accomodation so you are going to get just that. We enjoyed around the Pool in the afternoon with our drinks and enjoyed our short stay in Phnom Penh. Wouldn't recommend this hotel if your not able to handle 3 star accomadation. P.Flesser Queensland Australia.

• Stayed: June 2009
Reviewed May 1, 2009

The location is the only reason I stayed here on three occaisions. Apart from being close to where I had to work, it is in a quiet and pretty part of the city and is close to lots of smaller bars and good quality cafe's and restaurants.
I have stayed in a three in different grades of rooms (one on the 5th floor and two on the third floor). The room on the 5th floor was good because I could sit outside on the balcony and have a beer, but I agree with other reviewers that the rooms are looking a bit shabby, but then again, so are the rooms at the way more expensive Cambodiana.
I never had any problems with the air con, TV, fridge or theft (but then again, I'm not foolish enough to leave cash in my room). The shower and the toilet worked and they were clean. The beds were fine. The staff helped where they could (the lent me a their personal mobile phone charger).
The breakfasts are miserable. For a decent barang breakfast and excellent coffee go to the Garden Centre or for a longer walk to Al fresco.
The pool is on the 3rd floor. It looked a bit cloudy but in the mornings I could smell chlorine (a good sign!). I didn't want to push my chances so I didn't go for a dip.
Next time I go to Phnom Penh I might look for a different hotel in that area, but if I cannot find one I wouldn't object about going back.
For making "recommendations to a friend' I could recommend it, but I'd warn them to lower their expectations first.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank pc_holiday
Reviewed March 4, 2009

This was probably the worst hotel we stayed at during our one month trip. Since it was only for one night, I booked in a hurry without doing any proper research.

The only good thing about the hotel was the location. There were lots of stores, supermarkets, restaurants, etc. nearby.

The room was really dated and felt dirty. The first thing we did after checking in was look under the mattress for bed bugs. Luckily there weren't any, but the whole place had a very dingy old mouldy smell to it.

The front desk staff were quite helpful in helping us book tickets for the bus to Siem
Reap, so we appreciated that.

Breakfast was pretty bad as well. Overall this is not a hotel I would recommend.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Teenab79
Reviewed February 14, 2009

Stayed here in January 09 as part of a tour. Hotel is clean just very run down and in need of a major refurbishment. Air con in room did not work and lifts broke down every second day. The rooms are a good size and has a good size pool too. Staff do their best within their limited means. Breakfast is poor and it is much better to go to one of the many local cafes around the hotel to eat. Location is ok with some interesting stores and pleasant restaurants/cafes around.

• Stayed: January 2009
    • Check in / front desk
Reviewed February 5, 2009

The Goldiana was a dark, tired hotel with out-dated decor, plenty of problems (some of them unforgiveable), but just the odd small saving grace.

Our rooms were dreadful! On our second stay (we stayed there for one night, twice, on our holiday), our friends' room was unclean. And I mean really unclean. Suffice to say that the previous inmate had clearly had a touch of Delhi-belly - there was plently of evidence of this both inside and outside the toilet bowl. We had arrived at around 3pm, so there was no excuse for not having cleaned up this horrible mess.

On entering our room, we found our windows open, without the mosquito blind having been closed. My brother was bitten at least 10 times during the night. What's more, our window would not close properly, and we were kept awake most of the night by barking dogs. Our air-conditioning squeaked like a thousand cicadas. The bathroom was small, not helped by a dark burgundy suite, although it was functional.

The view from our room on the first night was a spectacular pile of plastic bottles and rubbish in the courtyard below.

The swimming pool was "out of order" on both occassions when we stayed. Not sure if they were using some chemicals in it, but it was cloudy and green, and you couldn't see the bottom.

There was no real bar, but you could get a beer and sit at the breakfast tables.

Breakfast was just adequate, very little choice from the buffet.

We only ate in the hotel once, in the afternoon. Service was slow, but the food was OK, as I recall.

The location was ok, with bars and restaurants just around the corner, and within easy reach of the river by Tuk-Tuk. Expect to pay 2 dollars to get to the riverside restaurants and bars by Tuk-Tuk.

One or two of the reception staff were courteous, friendly and helpful, and spoke reasonable English. I feel sorry for them.

There was usually one out of the two lifts working.

Were it not for the the cheap price, and the nice demeanour of one or two of the reception staff, I would have rated this hotel 1/5.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with friends