“This place makes me angry!”
Review of Tonle Sap Hotel

Tonle Sap Hotel
Ranked #172 of 338 Phnom Penh B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 5, 2013

I have eaten in here (Pickled Parrot Pub) and the English breakfast was okay if not the best price in town.
I also stayed here for 2 nights some time ago, my sleep was not the most restful as I could hear tuk tuk drivers outside yapping to each other.
But this place makes me angry, it has no food menu outside, and no prices on display outside, it has dark windows, many people don't know it has food, it fails in this way.
Also it has a large ATM machine outside and a pile of motos parked outside, it could have a nice seated area, outside, but no, too much clutter there instead.
And finally, the entrance of the Pickled Parrot Pub is a rest area for tuk tuk drivers, they use it as abase to harass people, why the owner does not ask them to leave is beyond me.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank wking12

Reviewed January 9, 2013 via mobile

I was first given a room where the AC did not work. They gave me another room and they even moved my gear over (+). On the other hand there were a distinct smell of sewer on both rooms and the rooms in general had a low standard(--). I only stayed one night.

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed September 27, 2012

The hotel is nice, great location, and the staff is very nice but the room doors are poorly secure and you can get access with just a credit card. A bunch of drunken Aussies drink and stay there every night and I'm sure one of them had an extra key made, entered my room and stole $400US. The staff assured me the cleaning staff has worked there 10 years and are very honest and I believe them that's why I think it's a low down down under drunk.

Be careful. Never leave anything valuable in your room.

Room Tip: 3rd floor is best and way from the street noise.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank KathmanJeff
Reviewed August 26, 2012

This was my second trip to Phnom Penh this year and decided to stay at the Tonle Sap Guestouse for this trip 3 July for 2 weeks. I had a Delux room for the period and also a great time. The staff are first rate. Extremely helpfully and always greet you with a smile. Thank you Sonny for organizing a car to take me to Siem Reap. Much better than a bus trip. The room was serviced each day and always clean and tidy. The bar downstairs was great to relax in with a mix of expats and locals enjoying the atmosphere. Food was varied and lovely. Location, location, location. A few bars in the street and only a short walk from the guesthouse along the river to all the othe great eating places. Thanks again to all the staff. Wonderfully.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Ray G
Reviewed May 31, 2012

I've done a lot of travelling in Asia and I've stayed in my fair share of averagely priced accommodation. I have to give Tonle Sap and the Pickled Parrot crew 5 Stars at $18 and would still give them 5 if it was $30, theck out their newest venture addition "The Splash Inn" if you wan't something more upmarket, quiet and private still close enough to walk to riverside. (Oh, it's also got a great pool and spa)
On this trip I spent 3 weeks at Tonle Sap and could not complain about a single thing. Never got a bill wrong, the food was great, there was nothing the staff wouldn't do to help if I needed it 24/7. When in Phnom Penh and don't need to spend a fortune, my best advice is "STAY AT TONLE SAP"

Room Tip: Best views from the 3rd floor 307 but all the rooms have everything you need.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank Laurence A
Reviewed April 11, 2012

I and 6 friends went to eat at the restaurant at the pickled parrot, We had 7 beers which 3 of our group paid for theirs straight away, when we got the bill we were still charged for 7...possibly and honest mistake. We were given 7 menus to order food from, when we got our bill we were over charged for all of our food, The manager came over and said one of the staff gave us the old menu and then pulled out 1 brand new menu with all new(HIGHER) prices on it and said we had to pay the new higher prices. We obviously weren't happy and told her she couldn't do this....she got very angry and told us that "okay you pay old price"!!! We were 7 ex-pats from sihanoukville and i asked for the australian owner as i had been there a few times before and thought he could solve the problem better, We were told that he was in australia, poor bloke is having his reputation ruined while hes away as this seems to be a way for the khmer staff to make a bit extra money for themselves!!!Why they would still have loads of old menus but only 1 new one struck us as very strange if it was the genuine truth!!Won't be going back there!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank stuartjv
Lucky228, Manager at Tonle Sap Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 13, 2012

I have just returned from Australia and was very suprised to read this review. We definitely do only have ONE menu and the reason you were given old menus will be investigated. In our defense we tragically lost our Food Manager recently and we are still recovering from this. A new Food Manager has been appointed to ensure this does not happen again. Apologies to all concerned

Reviewed March 27, 2012

Stayed here for 3 nights in mid march,$18 for a double with fan A/C ,Hot shower, TV and fridge!Tonle Sap Guest House ST104 above Pickled Parrot location just off Sisowath Quay riverfront, minutes from boats to Siem Reap, Wat Phnom, central market, Sorya shopping center, Royal Palace and National Museum,
Its above The Pickled Parrot but we didn't hear any noise at all. the room was cleaned , clean towels and two free bottles of water left in the fridge every day.
ST 104 does have a number of Hostess Bars in it but they didn't impose on us.
We ended up here by chance as we were booked into the Velkommen Inn also ST104 who collected us from the airport , but when we got to the guesthouse they told us they had given our room to someone else!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple