“Great value for money, friendly staff, good food”

and 1 more site!
Grand View Guest House
Ranked #211 of 318 Phnom Penh B&B and Inns
UK
“Great value for money, friendly staff, good food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2009

Not sure about the reviews below but we stayed 3 times in this hotel (we used Phnom Penh as a base from which we travelled to Siem Reap and Sihanoukville, staying 3 nights the first time, and one night on the second and third time).

The first and second occasion we stayed in a fan room. For $5 I thought it was really good value, the room was spotless and the private bathroom was clean also. Staff were friendly and helpful.

A bonus with this hotel is internet usage is free if you're staying here, which is obviously useful for keeping in contact with people back home. The hotel also offers a range of tours and can help organise buses for you. We used them to book our bus to Siem Reap and Sinhanoukville and had no problems and at just over $3, a bargain!!

The third time round we asked for A/C room which again was clean, tidy and bathroom spotless. Although a little old, the A/C worked fine and the room even had cable tv.

We ate a few times at the restaurant which was also good value for money, esp breakfasts!! Again, staff in the restaurant were courteous, friendly and helpful.

So personally I would recommend this place for the solo traveller or anyone who doesn''t have a massive budget and doesnt mind basic rooms.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank acyasm

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Polish first
random
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2009

Welcoming reception.
Stinky stairwell.
Grubby room.

Problem with no water avaliable (hot or cold), and air con unable to turn off, when this was brought to their attention they were angry with us.

There are better places to stay.

• Liked — the check in was ok
  • Disliked — customer service
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bob123Random

Travelers are raving about these Phnom Penh hotels

Bangkok
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2008

I guarantee that my review is not in favor of the place. As I rated above, it is terrible. The room I stayed cost 5 US dollars with fan. The room is awfully small. The bathroom is not in a usable condition with broken facilities. The place is also dirty, especially the bed sheet and pillow case. I minimized my physical contact with the bed. I spread my shawl over the sheet before lying down. I washed the bathroom before using it. The light is dim.

I urge you to look for another place. What you see on the website is not what you see in reality.

Stay away!

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — i like nothing.
  • Stayed October 2008
1 Thank nightmareBangkok
Wellington
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2008

Do yourself a favor and run away from here. I had the impression I paid 5 dollars when I checked in for one night. On an e-mail they told me it was four. Then, the next day they tried to charge again and asked me for a receipt (I never asked). Ok, my fault.
Food is really bad, the will try to sell you all sort of things, and location is crap. Try guest Number 9. And the place, by the way is not clean.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Dusseldorf, Germany
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2008

This Place was good for the money. The lake is very nice and the staff was very helpfull with our trip to siem reap and the visa for vietnam.

• Stayed November 2007
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Arlington, VA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2008

Whatever you do, don't stay here! My husband and I had reserved a double room with A/C based on previous reviews and lonely planet and were seriously disgusted! The towels weren't clean, the A/C fan broken and the TV power cord didn't work. Granted, this room was on the first floor, but it was awfull! Do yourself a favor and look elsewhere. We ended up going to Spring Guesthouse and were quite pleased.

Note that this isn't just another raving review from someone who hasn't traveled...we've been to India, Thailand, Laos, etc...

• Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple