“Tiny rooms, good rooftop restaurant”

and 1 more site!
Grand View Guest House
Ranked #211 of 331 Phnom Penh B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 28, 2011

This was our first hotel in SE Asia and we weren't expecting much. When we arrived, we were actually pleasantly surprised. For $5, the room was okay, the staff was friendly and the food was really good.

I do understand why some people give this guesthouse a bad review. If I were travelling alone, I wouldn't be comfortable in the room we were in. It was really basic, and only fitted one bed. The shower was over the toilet, which made showering a difficult operation. Also, our fan stopped working multiple times the first night. We didn't sleep well at all, trying to fix the thing every hour. The next day they gave us aircon, for the same price as a room with a fan. You do want aircon here, the fans suck.

Another negative aspect was that we were overcharged for our Vietnam Visa. I think the guy at the reception asked 38$ at first, and when I actually went to book it, he asked met $42. I ended up paying the 38$, but that was also way too much. We didn't really care though. They did it for us, we didn't have to do anything. Let us pay a little more then :).

Overall, I did like our stay here. I guess I didn't mind a few things going wrong while being in cambodia. I'm quite tolerant :). We had breakfast on the rooftop restaurant every day. I always found it very tasty! Nice omelets, pancakes, orange juice. Best we had in Cambodia!!! Relaxing area too!

We often ate in the ground floor restaurant at night (it's the same kitchen). We really liked the curry's. Also, the people serving us were always very friendly.

One of the guys asked us to help him with his English. I enjoyed his dedication to improve himself. He always treated us with a lot of respect.

So yeah, in conclusion, the rooms weren't that good, but the staff and the great food made up for that.

I'm not sure whether the place will survive because the lake next to it is bought by chinese investors. They might make the grand view guest house leave. I hope not, the place has a lot of potential.

Room Tip: Ask for airconditioning.
  • Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank san_aira
There are newer reviews for Grand View Guest House

Reviewed September 21, 2010

Awful, awful, awful. Go anywhere but here. Staff is rude. Lied about having wireless. Room is disgusting, not to mention tiny!! Bathroom door doesn't close. Shower drips 24/7. Bars on window make you feel like you're in a jail cell. Sheets were stained and had hairs on them. Got one towel for two people. Cigarette ashes under the bed even though there was a huge no smoking sign on the back of the door. Were awoken every morning by staff stomping up and down the stairs and singing and talking loudly to one another from different floors. No hot water. Chain on the toilet broke after one flush. Air conditioning is a joke. Barely blows any air and what it does is warm. Every time you walk out the front door they want to know where you're going so they can push their tuk tuk drivers on you. Needless to say we would never go back here! Avoid it at ALL costs!!!!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 3, 2010

Stayed there because we didn't have time to pre book or pre choose any other place. Please, don't believe people who say this place is alright - it's not! For the price that we've payed $8 a night you can find a nice hotel in Phnom Penh.
Anyway, the guest house is in the backpackers and hippyish area of "the lake" (in brackets, because there is no lake anymore, it's been excavated to build some houses in the area). The room was dingy and dirty and could barely contain the bed. The sheets were threadbare, the top bit was like a large bath towel with no blankets at all (made me think of all the people who used the cover before us. Ants were crawling on the floor, bathroom didn't have a door, only a curtain, no toilet paper, no towels, no soap, the curtain fixture was broken. The fan was working and the air-con could only be switched on manually and was so dusty, we had to take the screen off to make it work.. You can see the picture.. All in all, it was proper ---- hole!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank eva24
Reviewed February 11, 2010

We booked into the Grand View as a few other places we were told about were full. We looked at the room first and although it was small and dirty, we were very tired after a bus journey from Battambang so we took it.

The reception was nice but that was about it. The room was extremely small, we had to put our backpacks on top of each other as there was no floor space! The bed took up 90% of the room and there were large gaps in the windows where the mosquitoes could enter.

The roof bar did have a stunning view of the sunset over the lake but as the lake is being drained and is only half full the spectacular sunset lost a bit of its magic. This is hardly the fault of the guesthouse though!!

Overall, ok for 1 night but we moved to the Good Luck Hotel on Street 115 (I think!!) for $7 a night you get a TV, hot water, slippers (!!) and a really large, clean room!

Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 30, 2009

Not sure about the reviews below but we stayed 3 times in this hotel (we used Phnom Penh as a base from which we travelled to Siem Reap and Sihanoukville, staying 3 nights the first time, and one night on the second and third time).

The first and second occasion we stayed in a fan room. For $5 I thought it was really good value, the room was spotless and the private bathroom was clean also. Staff were friendly and helpful.

A bonus with this hotel is internet usage is free if you're staying here, which is obviously useful for keeping in contact with people back home. The hotel also offers a range of tours and can help organise buses for you. We used them to book our bus to Siem Reap and Sinhanoukville and had no problems and at just over $3, a bargain!!

The third time round we asked for A/C room which again was clean, tidy and bathroom spotless. Although a little old, the A/C worked fine and the room even had cable tv.

We ate a few times at the restaurant which was also good value for money, esp breakfasts!! Again, staff in the restaurant were courteous, friendly and helpful.

So personally I would recommend this place for the solo traveller or anyone who doesn''t have a massive budget and doesnt mind basic rooms.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank acyasm
Reviewed January 29, 2009

Welcoming reception.
Stinky stairwell.
Grubby room.

Problem with no water avaliable (hot or cold), and air con unable to turn off, when this was brought to their attention they were angry with us.

There are better places to stay.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
1  Thank bob123Random
Reviewed October 28, 2008

I guarantee that my review is not in favor of the place. As I rated above, it is terrible. The room I stayed cost 5 US dollars with fan. The room is awfully small. The bathroom is not in a usable condition with broken facilities. The place is also dirty, especially the bed sheet and pillow case. I minimized my physical contact with the bed. I spread my shawl over the sheet before lying down. I washed the bathroom before using it. The light is dim.

I urge you to look for another place. What you see on the website is not what you see in reality.

Stay away!