Bougainvillier Hotel
$49
$41
Agoda.com
  • Breakfast included
G Mekong Hotel(Phnom Penh)
$45
Blue Lime(Phnom Penh)
$40
$36
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsno liftrooftop barthe riverroyal palacewater festivalrooms are hugebuffet breakfasttop floorjunior suitelocation is excellentfour nightsnational museumtuk tukbalconyriverfrontcambodiafurniture
Reviewed November 25, 2013

While the balcony rooms are nice and quite large with a great view of the street and riverfront below, and the staff are super friendly, that is the only positive I can find.

The rooms are noisy and the elevator, which has been discussed for years on here, is still not working. It was 70 steps up to my third floor room, which I am sorry but they get very old after a while. Every evening after being out touring all day I would return to the room to rest and shower. Every evening I would get a call about an hour later to come down and move my car for whatever reason. That was ridiculous! After the third day I had had enough!

This place charges an ultra premium price by Phnom Penh standards, over $100 per night. When I asked if my driver could use the facilities after touring they added an additional $16 per day for the costs.

While cute and decorated in traditional Khmer style there was a gross lack of attention to detail. They provide bottled water for free, but it is the cheapest you can buy. The bath was done in blue tile with a dark green sink and toilet. The seat on the toilet was white. Sure everything functioned but this to me represents a lack of caring by the hotel owners. The bathroom sink faucet was so loose you could spin it around and there is no hot water at the sink for us yanks who prefer to shave with hot water. The shower had scalding hot water that would definitely burn you if not careful.

The breakfast provided in the morning was poor. The first day I went to the restaurant and sat down. There was only one employee in the room and I was never acknowledged. I saw that it was buffet style so went to get some food. The one employee did make sure I did not eat without providing my meal ticket however. There was an omelet station but nobody to cook and the huge coffee urn was empty in spite of the fact that breakfast had only been open an hour. As I ate, without coffee, I watched the big urn erupt in steam from being run dry. Still there was nobody around. I was surprised to see the coffee out the next day but it was pretty horrible. Wonder why? LOL!

All things considered I would never stay here again and would find it very difficult to give a recommendation to fellow travelers. You can do much better in Phnom Penh for much less money.

I am allowing a rating of two only because the desk staff and security out front were so nice.

Room Tip: Street noise from balcony rooms is very high.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Bernard M, Owner at Bougainvillier Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 1, 2013

Dear valued customer.
Thank you so much for your review.
The room you had is the Superior suite overlooking the MEKONG RIVER and 56 sqm size.
All rooms are charged single or double. If you make reservation for single and bring a friend for the night we will charge an additional $16 as per double room ( hot water , towels, breakfast ...) We never charge for a short visit in your room.

All bottles of water on the market have the same price except you take import ones like Evian, Perrier, San Pellegrino...Our sealed bottles we offer for you are free charge but you can have some in our minibar like big brands that we charge.
Our buffet breakfast have 38 different items who can please every palate as westerners, Asians etc. Sorry we cannot match your taste. We will check more carefully our staff and train them to take more attention to our dear valued guests.
Sorry everything was so bad for you. Rarely have guests who don't like anything. The furniture and decoration are bought at the antique market to give a special vintage felling to our hotel like you could find in the past when Cambodia was the most beautiful country in South East Asia.However we have the last technologies in terms of security wifi etc. We will check more carefully about the small details.
Thanks once again for your feedback.
Sincerely yours.
Bernard Matter. Owner

Reviewed November 17, 2013

We stayed at this hotel twice in Junior Suites with River View, on second floor in main building and first floor in annexe 3 doors away. The rooms were huge, clean, comfortable and quiet; the balconies had interesting views over busy road & waterfront. The lack of lift (under construction in main building) did not bother us but is a problem for some ( the hotel has 4 floors). The staff were very friendly and helpful. The buffet breakfast was very good apart from the coffee. We enjoyed easy access to the swimming pool in another hotel 2 mins walk away. The location is great, 5 mins walk to the Royal Palace. Would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: We recommend Suite with River View
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Bernard M, Owner at Bougainvillier Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2014

Dear Maddy,
Thank you so much for your review and your precious time to write it. We appreciate you came back a second time and liked our Bougainvillier hotel and services. We will continue to train our staff to make your stay even more unforgettable.
Kind Regards,
Bernard

Reviewed November 9, 2013

I've stayed at the Bougainvillier Hotel four times now and each time have had a good and comfortable stay. The rooms are huge and the bathrooms are a reasonable size too. Beds are comfortable and the staff have always been pleasant and friendly. The breakfast buffet offers all you'll need and I recommend getting there earlier rather than later.
The hotel has free wifi and when there in October this year, was busy installing an elevator.
There's plenty of tuk tuks out the front happy to take you anywhere and everywhere.
I've stayed in rooms at the back of the hotel and in rooms overlooking the busy street outside, and both are nice and quiet.
As the hotel is situated on a busy strip across the road from Tonle Sap river, there's plenty of restaurants and bars to choose from and some great people watching opportunities too. It's also easy walking distance to the Royal Palace.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Jane,
Thank you so much to come to Bougainvillier Hotel and take your time to write us a review. We appreciate you like our hotel and services and come back to stay with us several times. We will continue to train our staff and improve our quality to make your journey with even more comfortable.
Kind Regards,
bernard

Reviewed October 30, 2013

This just happened to me on Tuesday 29 October 2013. I was staying in the room G102, which is on the second floor at the back side with bad view. I slept around 1am when I woke up at 6:15am. I found out that my iPhone5, iPad Mini and all of my money were gone. The door was still locked only the windows were open. But there was a a blockage of which the biggest whole is of only 30cms x 30cms - must be a very small person or even very young child to come in. I didn't drink alcohol and slept alone and I never touched the windows at all. But they were unlocked in the morning. My iPhone5 and iPad Mini and more than 700USD was stolen - 2,500USD in total all gone. Staff came to check and seemed not to believe me how possible it was but I still have the chargers connected to the plug. I placed my iPhone5 and iPad Mini on the table, which was located next to my bed. So, the thief must be really inside the room while I was sleeping because that person had the time to check my bag and took all of my money and one of my credit cards and left it on the floor. Weird thing was that person didn't take my Mac and my iPad2 and other valuables. While I use the program find my iPhone and iPad, there were both deleted from the system. I tried to file a report to the police but the police said I should come to ask the manager to report it. What she did was changed me to another what her-so-called more secured 'luxurious' room and said she would inform the police but eventually she said that she couldn't and I had to file a report myself. I considered myself lucky because if I woke up during the time that there was a person in my room, I wouldn't get a change to write this review. And of course, the hotel was not offering any assistance expect moving me to another. But I have a colleague who stayed above my floor and we asked the manager to move him as well. "SHE PROMISED" but she didn't do it. When we get back to the hotel, the staff said that we cannot contact her and we had to wait until the next morning. So, we just checked out because I couldn't trust this hotel anymore.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Rapeepun J
Bernard M, Manager at Bougainvillier Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2013

Dear valued customer.
Thank you to give us your report.
You report to us that a lot of money, your I pad and your I phone 5 was stolen in your room. We checked all our cameras with our security company but never nobody entered your rom. We keep recording one month and have cameras at each floor as well as outside. In front of your windows we have fences and flowers. So impossible to come in from outside. Anyway nobody could climb up the walls. Our windows cannot be opened from outside. The fence are so small even a new born baby could go trough. We suggest costumers to put all valuables in the in room safe. I think nobody would put everything near the window. We have special stand up hanger for the clothes office desk for computers I pad etc safes for the money bed side tables for the phone ( recharge etc..). The office desk is very fare away from the window. You ask us the make a report for your insurance that everything was stolen at our hotel . We cannot do this because we don t know what you exactly had. But our General Manager Ms Rindy suggest you to go to police station or touristic police so you can report it to them. In the same day we prepared for you the superior suite ( upgrade for free) but in the evening you decided to check out with your friend.
I hardly understand your situation Sir and this never happened before at our hotel. Sorry for that.
Sincerely yours
Bernard Matter Owner of Bougainvillier Hotel

Reviewed October 22, 2013

I'm reviewing two hotels in Phnom Penh. Bougainvillier and Monsoon hotel. Extended stay for another week, so change hotel for a difference visit experience.

Bougainvillier Hotel
Bougainvillier is the larger hotel I initially stayed at. It has a nice basic lobby. Friendly staff and helpful although they were quite disorganized. Had to walk up 4 story flight of steps only to walk in to a room that was already taken. It was sorted that I would stay two doors down in another building but still owned by Bougainvillier. The room given was wide and spacious but, to have basic tv is a bit dated, as was some of the furnishing. No view period! It was a big dirty construction site outside the window But again, great friendly staff. Good location as its a walk to most things. Nice breakfast selection. Their restaurants are nicely decorated and more contemporary then the hotel itself. They should spend some effort to update the rooms.

Monsoon Hotel
Came here away from main river side hotel, but still in main tourist spot. A smaller hotel but more ambience. The room doors are just glass sliding doors. They were expanding in the adjacent building to include more rooms and a spa. So construction was happening. They did give me the top floor so as to not have to endure the rattling of construction. Rooms smaller then bougainvillier. But more ambience and nicer contemporary furnishings. Nice friendly staff again. View to street, restaurant, bars and businesses. Breakfast was the same list of 5 things. Kind of a let down.

Like the spaciousness and functionality of Bougainvillier, but prefer the updated contemporary style of Monsoon.

Room Tip: With only limited riverside view, you should request for that if you do not wish to stare at empty dirty construction lot.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo

Dear valued customer,
Thank you so much to take you time to send us your review and stayed with us a few days. Your review is always helpful for us. The furniture in the rooms is mostly antiques that I purchase around the country. It is the signature of our hotel and we don t like to give them a new look. We just take care about the bugs and give them a new polish. Most of them are very expensive. Most of our customers like them but everybody have own style and ideas and feelings. Thank you.
Sincerely yours,