“Great location, comfortable rooms, wonderful restaurant”

Bougainvillier Hotel
Ranked #65 of 267 Hotels in Phnom Penh
Phoenix, Arizona
“Great location, comfortable rooms, wonderful restaurant”
Reviewed February 21, 2013

I've stayed at the Bougainvillier several times over the years, most recently in January 2013 when King Sihanouk was cremated. It's expanded considerably since my first visit. It's the hotel I choose when I'm in Phnom Penh. Rooms are very comfortable, restaurant is quite good (if a bit expensive compared to the competition), the location is perfect and the internet is amongst the speediest I've had in Southeast Asia. The staff is quite professional and even when I was having a bad day (I was pickpocketed and lost cash an iPhone and in a foul mood) kept their cool. As other reviewers have noted, there are no elevators so prepare for your aerobic workout climbing stairs.

My only complaint is that rooms are cleaned late in the day. My schedule had me working on the street early in the day and editing in the room in the afternoon (I'm a photojournalist). I repeatedly asked to have the room cleaned early but it never happened and I went without a room cleaning a couple of days because I was working in the room when they came to clean. This is a problem I've had before in Asia and I consider more of an annoyance than a deal breaker. For my purposes, the hotel's outstandingly fast internet service more than made up for the minor cleaning problem.

Room Tip: Rooms on the riverfront are more expensive but have a much nicer view. The restaurant and lobby is i...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank kurtzjack
bluelove168, Manager at Bougainvillier Hotel, responded to this review, February 23, 2013
Dear Value Guest,

Warmest greeting from Bougainvillier Hotel & Restaurants!

Thank you very much for staying with us at Bougainvillier Hotel and thanks for your times with kind recommendation on Trip Advisor and for sharing all of your observations and impressions of great location and comfortable room on riverfront.

We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back to Bougainvilier Hotel - Phnom Penh's residential sanctuary.

sales@bougainvillierhotel.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed February 16, 2013

Hotel Bougainvillier is a series of charming townhouses that comprise one hotel across from the waterfront promenade in Phnom Penh. There are no elevators, so if you aren't willing to climb the beautiful polished wood staircases, this hotel isn't for you -- as a veteran of the fourth floor, I can attest to this!

Rooms are furnished with old-style Khmer furnishings, but also have WiFi and air-conditioning and other modern conveniences. You pay a premium for rooms facing the street/river.

There is a lovely rooftop bar that allows you to relax with a drink or a meal and watch the action on the promenade.

The breakfast is extensive, although dining room service isn't the friendliest; ditto, the front desk: some staff are lovely, others curt.

I loved my room and the location, too -- the promenade is always full of strolling tourists and locals, and the Royal Palace and National Museum are only a couple of blocks away. In fact, the funeral procession for King Norodom Sihanouk passed right by the hotel!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Elaine S
Dear Value Guests,

Warmest greeting from Bougainvillier Hotel!

The entire team at Bougainvillier Hotel is humbled by your praises of a old world charm overlooking the 3rivers. The rooms are spacious and boutique style.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back to Bougainvillier Hotel 'Phnom Penh's Oasis for the Well Travelled'!

Sydney
Reviewed February 15, 2013

Hotel is on the river front and really central to everything. Nice and clean. Breakfast is ok, nothing special, but meals you end up having at the local market, which is nearby or other restaurants.
Laundry is cheap, which is good when you are travelling.
Staff friendly and helpful. It's not a Hilton, but then again, you won't pay Hilton prices.
Overall, good hotel to stay at, especially given its location, general standard and the price that you pay.

Room Tip: Get a window room if possible.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Krzylo L

Warmest greeting from Bougainvillier Hotel & Restaurants!

We would like to thank you again for staying with us at Bougainvillier Hotel. It has been a pleasure having you with us and Every colleague at the hotel is thankful for such and very much motivated to continuously striving for high levels of guest satisfaction.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Bougainvillier Hotel & Restaurant, Phnom Penh, Cambodia.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed February 12, 2013

i stayed here mid 2012 they were very helpful . few hotels have a greater staff . however they must get to know you . they were great , the rooms were very very comfortable . one of the best hotels for the price

Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank flexibleaustralia
Dear Value Guests,

Warmest greeting from Bougainvillier Hotel & Restaurant!

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences on Trip Advisor. It was a pleasure having you with us at Bougainvillier Hotel. We truly appreciate your comments as rating to great (great location, very comfortable room and one of the best hotel for the price) our colleagues were delighted about your commend.

We hope to have the pleasure to welcoming you back to Bougainvillier Hotel in the near future.

Shanghai - China
Reviewed February 12, 2013 via mobile

As it seams the sales manager (Lak Sokchan) replies faster on tripadvisor than the hotel manager on a complaint, I write this review directly on tripadvisor.

The hotel is situated on a gorgous place and has great colonial style when you have a room with river view. Despite some smaller issues on the first evening of arrival we were pretty happy with our choice of hotel in PP. However when we wanted to start our first day (today Feb 12th) with a breakfast at 8:45 (open untill 10:00) we found the buffet in a terrible state. There was no coffee, no fresh juices, no fresh fruit, no milk or yogurt for the cereals, no plates, no cups nor glasses. At the table half of the cutlery was missing, tale cloting was stained like the pillow covers on the chairs and the waiters clothes. We were upset. We asked the waiter for the manager, but it seemed he did not understand or wanted to. Then I went to the reception and asked again to see the manager. After a phone call I was told he had no time. I pointed out my table but even after waiting over an hour no one showed up.

Fresh food was refilled, fruit juices were brought in (2 pitchers with the same taste that came from factory and had long forgotten that it had been a fruitjuice if ever), the coffee dispencer was put out of balance so the last dops of old coffee would be able to flow. Etc.

Just to get things clear, we live for 5 years now in Asia and traveled all over the place. We stayed in 5 star hotels and simple guesthouses, but even when the buffet in this "Oasis for the Well Traveled" would have been timely replenished there would have been a meager and poor choice in comparison with all other places. The only plus this morning was the egg station where you can have boiled, scrambled and everything else you can think off, but that is absolutely not special in a place with this price level and pretentions.

Please mr/mrs Lak Sokchan do not reply with a polite answer, but start today talking to the staff and improve your choice of breakfast so that we can have tomorrow a much better experience and be able to revisited this review.

Your guests from room 101,

Hedzer

Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Warmest greeting from Bougainvillier Hotel & Restaurants!

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences on Trip Advisor. It was a pleasure having you with us at Bougainvillier Hotel. We truly appreciate your comments as it relates to our gorgeous place and great colonial style room with rivers view.

Regarding to your breakfast were not your satisfy, We will take serious action look into this issue and we would really very sorry that it was not your satisfy but we are delighted to inform you that, our daily buffet breakfast we had over 40 kinds of different foods to serve our value guests.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Bougainvillier Hotel in the near future.

vavuniya
Reviewed January 24, 2013

Mediocre hotel centrally located with rooms worth the price and extremly helpful staff who goes the extra distance but poorly trained.Though on a busy road fronts the hotel, its a peaceful haven and provides a satisfying breakfast with excellent coffee.

Reception is very helpful to weary travellers but not skilled to provide any insights of the city.

Maintains standards adequete for a exacting customer but nothing more except the friendliness of the staff.

Much room for improvement and young lady manager may turn it around as she is bubling with enthusiasm.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
bluelove168, Manager at Bougainvillier Hotel, responded to this review, February 3, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Warmest greeting from Bougainvillier Hotel & Restaurants!

we would like to thank you very much for staying with us at Bougainvillier Hotel and rating your stay on TripAdvisor regarding to central located with good room and helpful staffs.

It has been a pleasure having you stay with us and regarding to the room improvement I have shared with our colleagues to take seriously actions look in to it to reach your satisfy on your next return stay with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Bougainvillier Hotel, Phnom Penh's "Oasis for the Well Traveled".

With kind regards,

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 18, 2013

Ok, so after 3 weeks of staying in places costing from $20-$44 dollars, my last 2 nights where rather more expensive after booking a Superior Suite at the Bougainvillier, and I have too say I loved the place.
The suite itself contained a nice bed room with safe, tv, bathrobes rather dated looking bathroom but clean and contained a bath (a first during my stay), a sitting area, writing desk, another tv, and a balcony overlooking the river. A/C and fans throughout the suite. A very nice place to be.
I was on the second floor, and there is no lift, not to much of a problem for me, but glad I was not any higher.
I also used the roof top bar, nice food and cocktails but those blue lights did seem to attract the bugs. The restaurant down stairs is where you go for breakfast; which was probably the best selection that I had in my stay in Cambodia, I also used this to eat and drink a couple of times, the businessman's lunch is very good value, and the chocolate/cherry soufflé (15 min wait) is fantastic, again excellent cocktails.
I only wish I could stay in places like this all the time.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Dougie O
Dear Value client,

Warmest greeting from Bougainvillier Hotel & Restaurants!

We are delighted that your stay with us was memorable and enchanting. All of your praises will be shared with my team since such are of exceptional means of motivation to everyone.

I am very glad that you enjoyed your stay recently at Bougainvillier Hotel and would like to sincerely thank you for recommending us on Trip Advisor.

The entire team at Bougainvillier looks forward to welcoming you back to Phnom Penh's 'Oasis for the Well Travelled'.