“Great location, lovely hotel - let down by service”

Bougainvillier Hotel
Ranked #65 of 267 Hotels in Phnom Penh
Brisbane, Australia
“Great location, lovely hotel - let down by service”
Reviewed January 14, 2013

This hotel is superbly placed on Sisowath Quay, right on the riverfront and in the heart of the action. The hotel itself is over five levels, accessible only by stairs. Being on the top floor (as I was) can be a bits daunting. The rooms are quite simple but lovely. All in all, this should have been a great experience.

However, the service let the hotel down badly. My friend's room had no hot water and this was not fixed properly during our five day stay, despite complaining politely each day. Despite a late model flat screen TV, I had no reception and this was not fixed either.

Annoyingly, the rooms were not serviced until late afternoon each day, which was precisely the time we were returning from our day's activities and wished to rest before dinner.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
bluelove168, Manager at Bougainvillier Hotel, responded to this review, February 3, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Warmest greeting from Bougainvillier Hotel & Restaurant!

I would like to thank you very much for staying with us at Bougainvillier Hotel and rating your stay on TripAdvisor as superbly placed on Sisowath Quay, right on the riverfront and in the heart of the action.

It has been a pleasure having you stay with us and regarding to the service and room had no hot water I have shared with our colleagues to take seriously actions look in to it. but all our hotel's rooms are with hot/cold water and our maintenance is stand by 24hours a day.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Bougainvillier Hotel, Phnom Penh's "Oasis for the Well Traveled".

With kind regards,

sales@bougainvillierhotel.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed January 12, 2013 via mobile

We were quite disappointed with our stay. The hotel was a little dated and the rooms need to be renovated. For the price im sure you can find a better deal elsewhere. The view from the room was terrible (city view), the bathroom floor had hair all over and the standard was generally sub -par. The location was good with walking distance to markets and lots of riverside restaurants. The staff were ok and the breakfast staff were great.

• Stayed December 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Warmest greeting from Bougainvillier Hotel & Restaurant!

I would like to thank you very much for staying with us at Bougainvillier Hotel and rating your stay on TripAdvisor as good location within walking distance to the tourist sights

It has been a pleasure having you stay with us and regarding to the bathroom had hair I have shared with our colleagues to take seriously actions look in to it.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Bougainvillier Hotel, Phnom Penh's for the Well Traveled".

With kind regards,

Greater London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 4, 2013

I had a mixed experience here. The only reason I haven't given 5 stars for everything was because my 'deluxe' room with a city view was a gross let down. Everything else was perfect.

My first night was incredibly disappointing. I felt so cheated! My confirmation said "Deluxe Single (queen size bed) with window city view back side". There was indeed a queen sized bed, and there was a window. The 'city view' turned out to be a window that looked straight onto the wall of the neighbouring building. It was a very nice room, but it was dark and most people would consider the 'city view' claim to be misleading advertising. I wouldn't particularly recommend one of these rooms. The location is good and the facilities ok, but I think you could do better for the same price.

Fortunately I pointed out my disappointment to management the next morning. They obviously care about their customer's happiness, because I was then upgraded for the rest of my stay -- to a garden suite on the top floor of their other building, just two doors down the street (note that reception is in the main building, as is the door-man, though security seemed good in both buildings).

The rest of my stay (3 nights) was fantastic. They moved me to a suite which took the whole top floor of the building. It was a huge room, with a comfy bed, tv, fridge, etc. It had a little balcony overlooking the river, and a comfortable sitting area. Outside the front door was a garden -- bear in mind this is on the roof, but under cover -- and then the elegant bathroom. All this was behind a security grill, so I felt very safe even as a woman travelling alone. It was very luxurious and I loved staying here. My only hesitation in recommending it to anyone would be that it was up several flights of stairs. Staff carried my 20kg suitcase up the stairs like it was a feather, but you mightn't want to be negotiating the stairs if you weren't in good health.

A wonderful buffet breakfast (with eggs cooked however you want them) was included and was excellent! You get hassled by tuk tuk drivers every time you leave the hotel -- but that's Cambodia for you. If you're not interested, just smile and say a pleasant "no thanks" as you walk away. If you want a tuk tuk or car, the hotel can help you organise this. They booked my airport transfer when I arrived and, although my plane was 3 hours late and the humidity was extreme, my poor car and driver were still waiting for me, sadly standing there in the burning sun holding a card with my name on it, when my plane finally landed and I got out of the airport (bear aware that clearing immigration isn't necessarily a quick process). He was so obliging and helpful, so I'd definitely let the hotel arrange your transfer rather than trying to sort it out yourself on arrival.

The location is great, right on the river. It's just 5mins down the street from the palace and other tourist sites. I took a tuk tuk to Cheoung Ek (the Killing Fields) and the Tuol Sleng Genocide Museum (the old school), which was a dusty longish ride -- my darling tuk tuk driver even stopped to buy me a mask to cover my mouth at one point. But I was glad I'd gone that way because it gave me more of an insight into the city. We stopped at the Russian Market on the way back and it was a really interesting day. So this hotel is a good central location for getting around to tourist spots. It was 15mins walk (5 mins by tuk tuk) to the Central Market, which is next door to the Sorya Shopping Centre where there are safe ATMs to use and lots of shops to interest visitors.

I'd recommend the Bougainvillier Hotel. Just make sure you get a fabulous top floor suite :-)

Room Tip: Splash out and get a roof top garden suite. They're gorgeous!
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
bluelove168, Manager at Bougainvillier Hotel, responded to this review, January 12, 2013

Warmest greeting from Bougainvillier Hotel & Restaurant!

we would like to thank you very much for your staying with us at Bougainvillier Hotel and thanks very much for your time to rating your stayed as Wonderful location & Fabulous top floor suite on tripadvisor.

we look forward to chance welcoming you back to Bougainvillier Hotel, Phnom Penh soon.

Best regards,

Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed December 23, 2012

I have stayed in bougainvilliet hotel all times i come to cambodia i really enjoy my stay in here the staff are helpful breakfast is good with friendly staff my room is large with over look to rivers only short hotel no left but it ok for me. I would higtly recommend this hotel to every one.

• Stayed December 2012
bluelove168, Manager at Bougainvillier Hotel, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Dear Value Guests,

warmest greeting from Bougainvillier Hotel & Restaurant, Phnom Penh!

I was delighted when reading your review on TripAdvisor, Everyone at the hotel works very hard to consistently deliver heartfelt and personalized service to our guests. Your illustrations will certainly be shared with everyone within the hotel since such are of greatest motivation.

We look forward to have the pleasure of welcoming you back hopefully soon to Bougainvillier Boutique Hotel!

Lak Sokchan. Mr
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed December 15, 2012

We stayed in a suite on the top floor with views over the river.
Good points: The room was large and clean with a separate outdoor (shaded) lounge area. A/C powerful enough for the height of summer. Reasonable breakfast selection, including some live cooking (eggs, noodles). Great location, close to attractions and sights, helpful and friendly staff.
Bad points: Bathroom was not ensuite the sleeping area, accessed only via outdoor lounge area. Privacy issue as there is another suite next door and only a bamboo fence (i.e. with gaps) between the respective lounge areas of the two suites. No lift.

Room Tip: Top floor suites are nice, but note that there is no lift.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Lee K
bluelove168, Manager at Bougainvillier Hotel, responded to this review, December 24, 2012
Dear Value Guest,

Warmest greeting from Bougainvillier Hotel & Restaurants!

We are delighted that your stay with us was memorable and enchanting. All of your praises will be shared with my team since such are of exceptional means of motivation to everyone.

I am very glad that you enjoyed your stay recently at Bougainvillier Hotel and would like to sincerely thank you for recommending us on Trip Advisor.

The entire team at Bougainvillier looks forward to welcoming you back to Phnom Penh's 'Oasis for the Well Travelled'.

Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed December 12, 2012

It is a 4 storied hotel without an elevator. Just hope you don't get the 4th floor rooms(we did!). The reception is a little gaudy with animal print furnishing & over the top lighting.
Rooms are clean but basic. The view from the standard room is bad. No faucet in the bathroom either. Rooms also too small with tacky oriental decor.
The air con in our room wasn't working so we luckily got a free upgrade to the suite room.
These rooms were large, with a great view of the Mekong. The wooden ceiling, oriental dark wood furniture & comfy bed were a delightful change from the standard rooms. Huge drawing room. Large bathroom with a tub & hand shower.
Service was just about ok. We had to wait for a good 15minutes before we could check into our room. Calls to the reception went unanswered a couple of times. Buffet breakfast was ordinary.
As long as you pick the suite room on one of the lower floors, this is a good option. Else, skip it.

Room Tip: Suite rooms
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank ShilpaNayak
Bernard M, Owner at Bougainvillier Hotel, responded to this review, August 6, 2014
Dear valued customer,
Thank you so much for taking some time to send us your review. We are very happy that you liked our hotel, restaurants and services. Hope to see you again with us during your next trip to Phnom Penh.
Sincerely yours,
Bernard
San Francisco, California
Reviewed December 10, 2012

We arrived at the Bougainvillier a day before our reservation by mistake. Not only was the hotel incredibly accommodating they also made sure we were comfortable and relaxed during a potentially stressful situation.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Crystal Y
bluelove168, Manager at Bougainvillier Hotel, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Dear Value Guest,

Warmest greeting from Bougainvillier Hotel & Restaurants!