“Beautiful guesthouse and garden in the heart of Phnom Penh”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Phnom Penh
Boddhi Tree Guesthouse
Ranked #163 of 325 Phnom Penh B&B and Inns
Melbourne
“Beautiful guesthouse and garden in the heart of Phnom Penh”
Reviewed October 6, 2010

Excellent guesthouse and gardens set in a colonial building. The staff were friendly, the rooms had character, and the food was excellent. The only disapointment was a basic shared bathroom for one night. Otherwise it was an incredible start to our trip.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Vicenza, Italy
Reviewed October 6, 2010

Boddhi Tree Umma: it appears as a superior accommodation in Phnom Penh but at the end it is a delusion. One big advantage is to be real at the front gate of Tuol Sleng Genocide Museum and to be next to the Russian Market (nothing remarkable). Our room was spacious but rather basic. Note that the shower had no hot water. It's real that in Cambodia the weather was hot and humid but sometime also if you have the hot water for shower you will appreciate better that time.
The thing that really disappointed us was the organization of our departure. We booked in the hotel our trip from Phnom Penh to Chau Doc in Vietnam by slow boat along the Mekong River. The evening before the departure they gave us the ticket and they assured us the pick up at 7 a.m.. In the morning we were ready at 6.45, but at 7.15 we had not seen nobody and only after our request they called at the boat company with the result that there was no pick up at the hotel. At this point the staff of Boddhi Tree Umma completely disappeared and they left us without assistance. We reached the boat company by ourselves and only with a lot of luck we had not lost our booking.
Heartily not recommended.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Phnom Penh hotels

Nelson New Zealand
Reviewed September 4, 2010

There seems to be quite a few bad reviews of this accommodation so heres mine!

When visiting Cambodia you see and experience the poverty daily. On my arrival at Phnom pen our first visit was to the cities dump where we experienced something out of this world. There were families living on shacks right on top of the dump and children riffling through the truck loads of dumped rubbish searching for plastic and metals that they can recycle for there income.

To experience this and then go to stay at the Boddhi Tree that is run by children that were once living in such die poverty was fantastic. It gives you a great appreciation for the efforts that have gone into the giving other people a chance in life and to know that the money that you spend there will be used to help other children.

Yes the accommodation wasn't 5 star but who wants to visit a poverty stricken country and live a life of luxury. The staff are TREMENDOUS and the experience UNBEATABLE.

I RECOMMEND STAYING HERE!!!

• Stayed January 2009
2 Thank Kstar1990
Toronto
Reviewed September 1, 2010

We made the mistake of choosing this place due to the Lonely Planet recommendation and didn't check Trip Advisor first. Lesson learned.

The restaurant is not bad at all...but we were a little irritated that they let in some young teenaged tout to pester us as we ate. He was trying to sell us guide books.

We stayed in Room # 2 on the first floor. It's right next to the shared bathrooms, so you get to hear that all night long. The room itself was very cute, with a huge bed, rattan furniture, and a little patio. For some reason, there were 2 bathrooms = 1 gross one and 1 clean one. As previous posters noted, you cannot close the bathroom window (just install a screen, that's all we ask) so I kept the bathroom door shut to keep out any wildlife that might have crept in. That said, nothing did creep in, and there was no sign of any rodents or insects as some posters have said.

But there was no hot water, and no A/C. They put a large fan next to the bed that makes sleeping just about bearable...but I'm Canadian, I don't do very well in a warm bedroom. We passed a very fitful night.

There's a sign on the wall to tell you not to light any fires, since the 'fire brigade does not work'. There is also a note on the table from the local police warning you about how dangerous the city is. It totally freaked me out, even though I felt perfectly safe every time we went out.

The service was hit or miss. Sometimes very friendly, sometimes kind of cold. Having free internet was nice.

It wasn't THAT terrible, but we just didn't feel like it was good value.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
London
Reviewed July 19, 2010

I have been thinking and rethinking if to write this or not, and how to write it. Maybe because I’m back in Phnom Penh and it happened to be in Del Gusto few days ago, and it was quite unpleasant.

I stayed at Boddhi Tree from the 18th Feb to the 11th March, one week at Umma, three at Del Gusto. Originally I was supposed to spend the month at Umma, but as consequence of a intense skin rush due to insects bites (flees) I moved to Del Gusto. Due to the last minute booking they couldn’t offer me the same room for the whole stay, so I moved in within the guesthouse three times. Hence I never really unpacked/packed, and everything was a bit confusing. However, during week 2 I discovered that the bag with my dirty lingerie was gone from my room. Now, I thought this was quite funny, and weird. If it was my camera or glasses to disappear, knowing myself, they would have probably been sitting in some café somewhere in the town...but dirty lingerie? I mean, I don’t go around with my dirty laundry. I complained, quite shocked, then the guesthouse staff literally interrogated me “it never happened before here” “when was the exact minute you saw it last” “where” “the exact colour of the bag” etc etc. but nothing really got sorted. For me that has really sad and difficult, I was new in Cambodia and Del Gusto staff was like my family.

Comes the day to leave, a week after, (I now work on and off in Phnom Penh so I was moving into my flat), and one of my T-shirt is gone again from my room. So I decide to pay only half of my bill until the thing is sorted, I give them my number and wait for them to do something. Time pass and it’s me the one keep calling them, organizing meeting with various managers...but still their point is, “if it was an Iphone, or a camera missing, I would get a refund, but because Its my lingerie, I am obviously ling”. The Spanish owner trys to convince me that, traditionally, is bad luck for Cambodian to use other people clothes. So I asked my Cambodians colleagues and they tell that these are a grandma believes. And still, I don’t care about tradition, there is a fact, and the fact is: my lingerie is not in my possession anymore.

At some point I discovered that they took the other half payment from my credit card without even a call or an email, even if we ‘ve been in contact every week for two months. So I got very mad and the guesthouse owner finally agrees to look personally into the problem and let me know in few days. So when I don’t hear anything for 10 days, I call him and I suddenly get accused, FOR THE FIRST TIME, of not having paid a coffee during my stay at Del Gusto. So, therefore, I am obviously a dishonest person and a liar. The conversation end with him shouting and hanging up in my face. Now, this is crazy, because, even if they should, staff never ask you to sign for what you order at the café, so I’m not sure which coffee he had to prove I didn’t’ pay. And why the never mentioned it before. So, not only I get personal, very personal, stuff taken from my room, I go through endless arguments with the staff, the assistant managers, the cleaners, for two moths, but, at the end, I even get accused to be a thief myself.

So yeah, I went back to UK and it ended in nothing...but please, don’t go there.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 30, 2010

My wife and I were supposed to stay here in June 2010 but unfortunately had to return to Australia for a sudden funeral. I informed Boddhi Tree as soon as I knew (2 days in advance) however they charged me 50% of the total cost of our (4night) stay! They have a hidden 7-10 day cancellation policy which is ludicrous when most hotels have a 24hour or 48 hour cancellation policy at the most!

I explained my situation to the Boddhi Tree and even tried to rearrange the booking for when I will be returning to Phnom Penh but was still charged.

So beware everyone (although if you are reading this you will have read the other reviews regarding rats, cockroaches etc) and would not touch this place anyway….

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Duns, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 14, 2010

Once again, Lonely Planet condemns us to a truly ghastly place with its misplaced gushing reviews. I only wish that we'd consulted TripAdvisor before booking!
Like so many others we encountered the giant cockroaches, not, thankfully, the rats - but I'm sure they were never far away.
The first room we were shown was cell-like, directly above the kitchen with all the attendant noises and smells. It had no wardrobe space, not even a hook from which to hang clothes. No fridge, no safe, in short, precious little in return for a not insubstantial rate of $37 a night.
Weary after a lengthy bus ride from Siem Reap we were very disappointed that the Boddhi Tree Umma clearly had no intention of living up to its Lonely Planet description
and we asked to be moved to another room. After a few phone calls, we were indeed moved.... to room 12, the one we'd asked for on booking some months earlier which on arrival we'd been told was unavailable.
Room 12 was definitely bigger with a curious 'bathroom on the terrace' arrangement overlooked by local apartments which required us to dress before using the loo in the middle of the night. This was also where we encountered the giant cockroaches.... not a pleasant prospect when barefoot!
Again, no wardrobe (although this time there were a few hooks), no fridge... so the complimentary bottled water was rendered undrinkable and no tea-making facilities or any other little touches we'd come to expect at the moderately 'flash' packer level we'd opted for. Decoration was dingy and pretty shabby all round. The 'oasis' of a garden was cordoned of with rusting corrugated sheeting, some of which was loose and fairly dangerous.
Also, because of its proximity to Tuol Sleng Genocide Museum, it attracts squads of tuk tuk drivers who hang noisily about outside the hotel all day long. This, together with 12 hours of building work per day next door , does little to contribute to the so-called oasis-like atmosphere Lonely Planet had promised us.
Food was average or below - and I'm pretty convinced that my subsequent food. poisoning - which lasted for nearly a week, ruining what was left of our month-long trip - was a result of eating here.
I can think of absolutely nothing good to say about the Boddhi Tree Umma other than that the staff, to our faces at least, were reasonably helpful. The free wi-fi was small consolation for all the other hideousness that is the Boddhi Tree Umma
I wouldn't recommend this hotel to my worst enemy!
Do visit the FCC though...it was one of the (very) few highlights of our trip to Phnom Penh.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple