“Nice rooms, overpriced food”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Phnom Penh
Boddhi Tree Guesthouse
Ranked #164 of 327 Phnom Penh B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Nice rooms, overpriced food”
Reviewed January 29, 2012

Social enterprise guest house ran by Europeans. Very nice rooms, good atmosphere and service. The management offered us a free dinner. Main downside: everything is very overpriced. Just an example: a bottle of water costed 2 USD in the restaurant and 0.50 USD at the stall just outside the door. So sleep there but eat somewhere else! Another tip: visit Tuol Sleng the day you leave, it's a harrowing experience.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a courtyard
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Watlington, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 28, 2011

I'm really not sure if I have been staying at the same hotel as all the other reviewers. I am about to stay for the seventh night of 10 and have been perfectly happy with everything. I am in room 2 which has excellent air-con with a thermostat and a bathroom with a power shower that gives out tepid water, and who needs boiling water in this heat. The room is clean and the bed is comfortable. I am next to the shared bathroom, but am not being kept awake by it.

The food in the cafe is excellent and I have eaten here every night; my breakfast is included in my $30pn.

The staff are happy and efficient. No, there isn't a fridge in the room, but this is not a characterless international hotel chain. No, there is no safe in the room, but every morning when I have left (I am volunteering at an orphanage on the outskirts) I have put my laptop in their safe.
There is free wi-fi and I have been travelling a while in the east now and it is the first time that when it has been free it has been available in my room and in the public areas.
It is away from the main tourist area, which means that the nights are quiet and it has a personality of its own. There are a number of tuk-tuk drivers outside because of the museum and they will run you into the main area for around $3 - I have actually walked and got to know a bit more about the city. You can always get a tuk-tuk or motorbike taxi back.
I came here on the recommendation of a friend and would come here again as well as recommend it to others.

Maybe some of the earlier reviews have been read and acted upon.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank Kate C
Horsham
Reviewed November 10, 2011

We stayed at the Boddhi Tree Aram recently for just one night as we were moving on to the coast the next day. The hotel was very well organised and hotel staff met us at the airport as agreed. They also arranged return transport to take us to Kep and back. They would also have organised flights for us to Siem Reap but in the end I booked with a local agent.
The hotel is set in a residential street with a few food and market stalls but once inside the hotel it is peaceful and quiet. It is a very individual hotel, a real find and the staff couldnt' have been more helpful. We stayed in a beautiful colonial style house which was very tasteful furnished. Breakfast was served on a beautiful terrace surrounded by various tropical trees and palms. Not for those who like large anonymous hotels with plenty of chrome and glass.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank wandaHorsham
Cologne, Germany
Reviewed September 8, 2011

While on a trip through Asia, we loved our stay in Phnom Penh and that is especially because of the stay at Boddhi Tree. We found Boddhi Tree Umma after visiting the museum across the street and had lunch there. The food was delicious and the atmosphere warm, welcoming and special. We ended up staying at Boddhi Tree Aram for five nights and it felt like a home away from home. Good quality rooms, nicely decorated and comfortable. The houses are beautifully restored. The manager is very involved and empathic! Really nice and helpful staff!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank melanie m
Petra - Wadi Musa, Jordan
Reviewed April 2, 2011

After traveling for 3 months in SE Asia and mostly on the cheap, I decided to end my time in a nice boutique hotel and I ended up going to Boddhi Tree - Del Gusto. After a long and hot bus ride from Otres Beach, I checked in at Del Gusto and when I was settling into my room, they brought over a cold drink and that hit the spot. It is these little touches that made this a pleasant 2 night stay. I enjoyed the ambiance at the restaurant and thought the food creative and good. The staff were more than helpful. This place has wonderful sitting areas too.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
uk
Reviewed March 9, 2011

clean bright rooms with artistic touches. very comfortable beds. some quirky outdoor bathrooms.
everything works, helpful staff, excellent restaurant with very good food, perhaps slightly pricey. Location is a bit away from the centre, opposite Tuol Sleng. Quiet at night but you will need to sue transport to get to riverside area. Increasing number of interesting fairtrade shops are opening up in this area.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
Thank caroline.nixon
British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed March 6, 2011

I stayed here for 2 nights. It was directly across the street from S-21 prison (Tuol Sleng). Booked in advance, and the room was ready for me when I arrived. My room was on the 2nd floor, overlooking restaurant and garden. Nice clean room with double bed and fan. was $15/night. Shared bathroom with 3 other rooms AND hotel staff (during day). Beautiful lobby on 2nd floor. Good food in restaurant, but it is overpriced! I had very good service from all the staff. Lots of tuk-tuks right outside hotel, and they are always looking for work...

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo