“Just about Ok, but just for a night over.”

Angkor International Hotel
Ranked #58 of 269 Hotels in Phnom Penh
Barcelona, Spain
“Just about Ok, but just for a night over.”
Reviewed December 24, 2012

I spend 1 night in this Hotel which looks cheap-new as they are renovating the floors. I paid 35$ for a room (Deluxe) which was not that fantastic and really not that deluxe.

First the positive points: The service was excellent. The girl at the reception went out of her way to help me with some issues. The location is pretty good as you are very close to nightlife, markets, bar and restaurant. Walking distance from Royal Palace and other sites.

Negative points: The all hotel just looks cheap. My rooms was new but already all falling apart. My shower holder broke when I took the first shower. The towels smelt very dawn and really felt already used. The shower gel dispenser never worked. They say wifi is available in every room but it wasn't. After changing room about 3 times (again customer service was really accommodating), the wifi was just not functioning in any room. I gave up and used it on common areas but still sooooooo slow that it was impossible to be used. As well I understood that breakfast was included. When I can down for breakfast, they told me it wasn't. Only free breakfast for people who booked via booking.com or similar, not to traveler just pupping in like myself. I though that was really cheeky a I did ask on check in and they told me yes. As well the bed was big but sooo unconfortable...Really bad choice of mattress.

I did saw many " old" foreigner with "young" girls in the hotel and some where just not a very nice site. It felt very wrong to me and I really did not want to be part of it, but somehow it was right in my face.

Conclusion: I think there are much better values for the price I paid. My previous stay was in Bougainvillier Hotel, I paid 22$ and was way much better. Somehow I felt ripped out despite the service being really friendly, maybe a bit too much.

Overall I'm not sure I would recommend that place, or maybe jut for a night and really not worth 35$.

Room Tip: If wifi is important for you, forget about this place. Check if wifi works before accepting any room...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Alexpaiva
victor R, Directeur général at Angkor International Hotel, responded to this review, December 25, 2012
Dear Customer,

Thank you for your review about our hotel.
Reception and I are always available to help you if you encounter problems.
Our rooms have luxury bedding, hard mattress, which certainly
you have not agreed ?
At your request we would have to change rooms, no problem.
Our internet was being tested, but this problem is now solved.
Our price is good value at $ 35 for a new room of 38m2
with A/C inverter technology and a sofa lounge.
Hotel Bougainvillea offers $ 67 for basic rooms, no elevator.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
Macau, China
Reviewed December 13, 2012

Tis hotel is well located in the center city. Renovated rooms with all the comforts for an international hotel, but no kettle in room for tea !The restaurant is okay with $ 8.00 for meat
very cooked.The reception is smiling and has a safe for your security.Good value for $ 32.00 room, without breakfast

Room Tip: room 5 th floor
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed December 12, 2012

Boss and staff very helpful, organised bus tickets, hotels reservation, currency exchange.
Large superior room, very clean , right price, Good breakfast but not included ! Excellent location
for National Museum, Royal Palace, Riverside and shopping immediately surrounding the hotel were fantastic.
Good food at reasonable prices 2.5 to $ 6.0. Would definitely here again soon :-))

Room Tip: Room at $38.00
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 10, 2012 via mobile

I guess it was ok, nothing special and a bit overpriced if you ask me. No way of charging phone or anything because the power points didn't work. Bed was a bit hard and the room had kindof a smell. I ckecked out after one night.....

• Stayed December 2012
victor R, Directeur général at Angkor International Hotel, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Dear customer,

Thank you for your comment on the visit to Angkor International Hotel.
It is regrettable that you did not speak with the reception to involve our service department in minutes that would solve these drawbacks.
We wish you a good continuation of your trip.
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed November 15, 2012

Booked here when I found it for $18 through booking.com, the next morning they said the normal price is $25 but they will offer it for $20 if I want to extend. I declined and moved to nearby Fancy Guesthouse, the manager of which said many people make the same move.

Angkor International has recently installed an elevator and has been remodelled from previous reports on Tripadvisor. The room I received had been remodelled, but is still very tired. It had an old smell until I turned on the A/C (which worked OK). There is barely any space on either side of the bed so it is hard to get to the "insert key for power" thing. The bathroom is very dark, with only two down lights above the sink but no main light and the thin plastic toilet seat would not stay up, so I either had to take a leak sitting down like a woman, or try to be extremely accurate.

The bar fridge (with 1 free water) was constantly buzzing, the TV remote could only change channels 2 metres from the TV so I had to nearly get out of bed every time I wanted to change the channel. Shower over bath had no curtain. If this is indicative of a remodelled hotel, they need to keep on modelling. This room is barely worth $18, and definitely not $25 plus you don't even get breakfast.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
victor R, Propriétaire at Angkor International Hotel, responded to this review, November 18, 2012
Dear Customer,
Sorry for the problems with your room we immediately arranged for our maintenance service.
It is unfortunate that you do not appreciate the service that makes our hotel guests:
* service 24hX24 complaint at the reception (which would immediately resolve problems with your room)
As the customer has in our hotel, a lobby of 120m2, a large outdoor terrace, a dining room interior of breakfast, a bar with coffee professional draf beer, restaurant international cuisine, service day and night security, medical assistance with a French doctor, for prices of rooms with A / C, WiFi, TV, fridge, from 20 to $ 40.
Zagreb, Croatia
Reviewed November 15, 2012 via mobile

This hotel is well located, just 150 meters from riverside. It has fast wifi and nice and clean rooms. But best of it is staff. We forgot our passports at reception and went to Siem reap. We called hotel to check if our passports where left and they send it by bus to SR. Really nice of them.

• Stayed November 2012
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed November 10, 2012

We spent 3 nights in this hotel which offers good quality services in a friendly atmoshpere. The staff was very friendly, and they spoke english pretty well, unlike some other hotels. The french manager was always at disposal for information about the city, and good places to visit. We had 409 room on the 4th floor with a 2 meters long double bed, plus an additionary small bed. The bathroom was pretty clean, with the necessary toiletry, but it was lacking a little bit of brightness. The hotel lobby is spacious, and a bar with pretty much any drinks you want. THe hotel also provided us with fresh fruits, and good american breakfasts. The restaurant with its chef, Belgian makes one of the best chocolate mousse I have ever ate. Considering the quality of the location, services and facilities, this hotel is pretty cheap for what it offers. Me and my girlfriend recommend this hotel to anyone who want to have a pleasant stay in at the center of Phnom Penh.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple