“The best French in Phnom Penh”
Review of Pan'am - CLOSED

Pan'am
Cuisines: French, European, Steakhouse, Asian, Fusion, Cambodian
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: .Pan'am offers simple yet refined cuisine in a pleasant and Zen atmosphere. we are pleased to welcome you from Tuesday to Sunday from 11am to 3pm / 6pm to 10pm. Sit, discover, Savour, we hope you enjoy.
Surfers Paradise, Australia
“The best French in Phnom Penh”
Reviewed July 16, 2013

I visited Pan'am for the first time a few days ago and found the restaurant to be the exact opposite of LMLASIE experience. The restaurant is set over four levels, the first being a bar, the second a lounge, the third an elegant dining room and the fourth a rooftop bar and mezzanine overlooking the street. You can very easily see from just walking through the front door, this restaurant is all class. We were greeted by the owner Cedrick, who straight away made us feel comfortable and welcome. After a few drinks on the rooftop, we made our way to the dining room and were given two sets of menus, one consisting of tapas starters, the other a combination of salads, mains and french deserts. Cedrick then sat down with us and explained how each dish was prepared and cooked and gave us his recommendations. He then went through the wine list with us and explained which wines complimented each dish. I ordered the duck as a starter, which was done done three different ways, all of which were exquisite. For the main I had the beef steak with a mushroom sauce and vegetables. The steak was cooked to perfection and could be cut with a spoon. The lemon tart and sorbet , which I had for desert was once again magnificent and could not be faulted. Throughout the entire meal the service level of all the staff and Cedrick himself was second to none. After eating the staff produced a couple of different samples french wines and cocktails which were compliments of Cedrick. We enjoyed the meal that much that we stayed talking and drinking until closing time. I cannot recommend this restaurant highly enough. If you are visiting Phnom Penh and enjoy French cuisine, put Pan'am on your to do list. Next time I am in Cambodia I will go out of my way to come back.

• Visited August 2012

Broadbeach, Australia
“Best French restaurant in Phnom Penh”
Reviewed July 10, 2013 via mobile

As an expat living in pp I fell on this restaurant one night with friends. Immediately we were impressed with the decor that had a very clean nest Parisian feel. It was no surprise that it was owned by ex French guy and his Khmer wife. This place has style and ambience all over it. The food is representative of the setting. It was easily the best French restaurant I have ever eaten in here. And cheap by western standards. My last stint was prawns with sweet chilli. A fairly standard fare but the combination pork lamb and beef done with vegetables was exquisite. The citrus tart with sorbet finished the meal. 5 of us ate for under $100 and the wine was A grade. Will be back again and again

• Visited July 2013
Avignon, France
“tralala”
Reviewed July 2, 2013

I went to Pan'am with a friend who had heard good things about it. I was highly disappointed and will not go there again, by far way over rated and not achieving the results you would expect. First you have to climb 2 floors to arrive in the restaurant , nice decoration and nice furniture but you feel a little tucked away in the attic... when we went (on a Saturday night) there were only 2 other customers and it made the room a little gloomy... The service is unfortunately what it often is in Cambodia, way over the top and overdoing "it". One can accept it from the waiters who always try to please you and are eager to wait on you throughout the whole meal, it can be a little disturbing at first but this is Cambodia and it will take time for them to understand they don't have to be "in you face" all the time. However, the owner/ manager (French) did the same and kept interrupting our conversation to ask if everything was ok, if the meat was cooked enough if we needed more this or that... and we went out with the strange feeling that we had spent more time talking to him or to the waiters than we had actually spent talking to each other. Too intrusive and not at all an upmarket place as the decoration and the prices would like to make us believe. The menu is ok, but most dishes are extremely simple (rolls of smoked salmon with cottage cheese inside?? What you would ask your children to make on a Sunday night when there is nothing else to eat in the fridge...) or an "egg plate" with four different ways of cooking eggs... boiled scrambled etc....?? Not really what you would expect to find in a place that aims at becoming one of the best tables in town. On the whole highly disappointed, the manager is overdoing it and treating his clients as if they were retards by explaining every single dish from the menu (you would do so in a 4 star restaurant when the very names of the dishes are highly specific, but NOT when the names say it all already!!) and very expensive for what you actually get in the plate.... without mentioning the fact that the waiters had no idea about what wines were on the menu, but I guess they just lacked training. I will not go there anymore, sorry.

• Visited June 2013