“The Tetsuya of Phnom Penh”
Review of The Common Tiger - CLOSED

The Common Tiger
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed November 2, 2013

So delighted that Tim had decided to settle in Phnom Penh and amaze us with his creativity, passion and constant top quality delivery of his food. This is the my favorite restaurant in Phnom Penh. The menu is small but always changing so you are always excited about looking at the menu. We always take our visitors here and everyone is always amazed by the value for money. Highly recommend the $40 tasting menu so you don't miss out on anything. I would eat anything this man put in front of me! Wines are very reasonably priced but for those who would prefer a beer they have draft available. Don't write this place off as a special occasion only as lunch without the bottles of wine that we usually would consume is also very fair!

1  Thank Angela C
There are newer reviews for The Common Tiger

Reviewed October 20, 2013

At the suggestion of a friend who lives in Phnom Penh we had dinner at the Common Tiger while we were there. A great suggestion! Although perhaps not an authentic Khmer experience, with the ingredients locally sourced it was an interesting take on Cambodian cuisine. And while some courses were pretty intense flavor-wise (as warned by the Chef), all in all it was a very enjoyable meal. Staff was friendly and helpful (especially those whose English was good) and the enthousiasm of the Chef was great!

1  Thank dutchguy2
Reviewed September 22, 2013

Went to Common Tiger for the tasting menu and was not disappointed. Each of the courses was beautifully executed and tasty. We liked the chef describing each plate as we were served, as I think I would have been unable to properly identify the complex tastes without that help. I note comments from some reviewers about the small size of the dishes; our menu had 5 courses and they were not huge BUT by the end of the meal we were all completely full! Probably not the best choice of restaurant if all you want is a heaped plate but if you are looking for carefully crafted delicious flavours with a chef who clearly enjoys his work, this is the place to go!
One of our party is gluten intolerant and the chef modified the menu easily and without a fuss
We were there mid week and the place was quiet

1  Thank Cathy G
Reviewed September 14, 2013

Still one of the best, if not the best restaurant in Phnom Penh. Service was good and the meal great quality well presented and well prepared.
So why only 4 points instead of 5? Basically because my expectations were very very high this time, but still a great dinner.

Reviewed September 12, 2013

I've been living in Phnom Penh for over 16 years and I've seen it all come and go and I have to say this is one of the finest meals I've had here. Some miscommunications with the waiter meant that I had to wait for about an hour for my meal to be served and I take some responsibility for that. They were all very sweet so it was impossible to get angry. Pleasant place to sit, drink and read and the food was more than worth the wait. The chef, thinking I was just there for drinks, brought me some amazing home baked focaccia bread with delicious spreads including an unbelievable jam made of tomatoes and vanilla; could nearly be dessert. If you're hungry definitely order the focaccia first as the servings are modest but beautifully presented, innovative and truly delicious. Very high on my ever changing local restaurant list!