“New visit, new great experience”
Review of The Common Tiger - CLOSED

The Common Tiger
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed September 14, 2013

Still one of the best, if not the best restaurant in Phnom Penh. Service was good and the meal great quality well presented and well prepared.
So why only 4 points instead of 5? Basically because my expectations were very very high this time, but still a great dinner.

Reviewed September 12, 2013

I've been living in Phnom Penh for over 16 years and I've seen it all come and go and I have to say this is one of the finest meals I've had here. Some miscommunications with the waiter meant that I had to wait for about an hour for my meal to be served and I take some responsibility for that. They were all very sweet so it was impossible to get angry. Pleasant place to sit, drink and read and the food was more than worth the wait. The chef, thinking I was just there for drinks, brought me some amazing home baked focaccia bread with delicious spreads including an unbelievable jam made of tomatoes and vanilla; could nearly be dessert. If you're hungry definitely order the focaccia first as the servings are modest but beautifully presented, innovative and truly delicious. Very high on my ever changing local restaurant list!

Reviewed September 9, 2013

We read about this restaurant in a local paper and saw the chef was South African and booked a table for 2 on a Sat night. We were not expecting something of this caliber! Its very modern food decorated beautifully on the plate, the charming Chef Tim hand delivers his food and tells you a little about the dish as he does. The restaurant does lack a bit of atmosphere but the food really makes up for it. We were very impressed and this was by far the best restaurant in town. Something that we would find in Cape town Well done Tim.

Reviewed August 30, 2013

Yes, they've made an effort, trying to copy some hip Brooklyn style mixed furniture setting. Nice to look at, not nice and interesting enough to want to come back. Previous reviewers used the word pretencious, I tend to agree. Staff seemed to push us to order a bread basket, which you'd expect to be complementary at the prices they have. Compared to many other restaurants in town, the value you get for (significantly more) money was a bit disappointing.

No doubt that the kitchen team is putting a lot of hard work into a more creative approach, it just didn't fully tie it in for me yet, sorry.

1  Thank Peter M
Reviewed August 30, 2013

Having read several glowing reviews about "The Common Tiger" and having heard mixed reviews from actual diners I wasn't quite sure what to expect.
I went with a friend and felt the whole experience was a mixed bag.
Firstly the good; the food was very different from the usual Phnom Penh fare. The chef was clearly passionate about his craft which was good to see. Individually I enjoyed the bread with a couple of different dips and the sticky ribs were fantastic.
On the flipside the staff were pretty much clueless and couldn't explain any of the dishes which is critical when one is serving this sort of food. Several times they had to bring out the chef from the kitchen to explain things. The bruschetta was average, while the various panna cottas with the main dishes mostly didn't work. We were very disappointed with the desserts with a very average mango and sticky rice being not a patch on anything you'd have at a street stall in Bangkok and the coffee panna cotta being inedible.
The bill for two with no wine came to around $50 for lunch which is probably high end in this town but just didn't feel like great value for money.

Timothy B, Owner at The Common Tiger, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2013

Dear Horatio

Thank you for your feedback with regards your experience at our restaurant. I am glad to hear we at least partially met your expectations. We have not had the mango and sticky rice on for about a month which means you came within our first two months of opening. It is true that we had a few teething issues but I am happy to report that the points you mentioned are one that we recognized ourselves and have been working hard on improving.

We look forward to hopefully seeing you again for another meal with us to see how we have grown and how we are looking to polish what it is we have to offer.

Best regards
Timothy

To bear in mind to diners frightened off by the thought of $50 for a lunch, Horatio and his friend each ate a three course meal and while they didn't have wine they did add other drinks onto the bill which brings it to about $25 per person