“The food here was outstanding”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Terrazza

Terrazza
Ranked #44 of 1,403 Restaurants in Phnom Penh
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Families with children, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Drinks, Dinner, Late Night, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Delivery, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: The true taste of Italy, natural flavors and textures unique to Cambodia, Terrazza is the combination of this culinary holy trinity of dining excellence. It is your introduction to a food philosophy that meets the demands of the nutritional, cultural and recreational habits of mankind while satisfying the need to put the pleasure back in the need to feed. The key to succeeding in this struggle for gastro-perfection is to transform the freshest and best ingredients and combine them with the relaxed ambience of a space where service is king.
Chicago, Illinois
“The food here was outstanding”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2013

Dinner was amazing and the service was excellent. A wonderful concept with great tasting foodn the staff have wining smiles and are attentive to guests' needs. The pasta we enjoyed were finely flavored and the deserts full of temptation.

1 Thank rosalina m

• Korean first
  • Thai first
“Could be good”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2013

Terrazza could be a very good restaurant, but it's not there yet. The fitout and general vibe of the place is very good, the prices seem reasonable, and the gentlemen behind it should ensure that over time it becomes very successful.

Where it lets itself down, bearing in mind it is still early days, is the ridiculous number of menus (last night I counted six), the menus themselves are just too extensive, and food that is a bit hit and miss.

Last night I had a seafood trio, that included tuna tartare, a sea bass carpaccio, and a salad of lobster/octopus. The quality of ingredients was very good, and had the makings of an excellent dish, but sadly it was drowned in olive oil which overpowered the other flavours. Previously I'd had a pizza which was excellent.

2 Thank Stephen H
Antonio L, Guest Relations Manager at Terrazza, responded to this review, April 26, 2016
Stephen thank you for your input.
I will relate to the chef to watch out with the olive oil.
Brunswick, Maine
“All flash, no substance”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

Walking in, it's a nice environment. Starched napkins, glass and heavy furniture. We were promptly greeted by at least 6 wait staff, all poised and ready at 6:30 on a Friday night. We waited for a while at table (no water or anyone stopping by within a few minutes to ask about a drink) and looked at the enormous menu both in size, number of items and number of menus. I think there were about 4 of them in total. It was completely and totally overwhelming. After more time we had to flag one of the miniskirted girls in matching shoes over to order.

Finally, we ordered a pizza. Great crust, too much cheese and far fewer other ingredients. We went through two pepper grinders to find one that worked. And this was in a place that was not that crowded.

We both left with a feeling of disappointment. Clearly the owner has invested significantly in some things, but left behind the basics. Likely would have been a better business model to start small with at least half the size and then grow from there.

I don't really wish these guys great luck in Phnom Penh. I live here and find them another one of the many Italian restaurants in town, but this one doesn't have the homey feel that shows they would be a good contribution to the community. Never again.

2 Thank Chilidog907
Antonio L, Guest Relations Manager at Terrazza, responded to this review, April 27, 2016
Thank you for the review.
We are sorry we did not meet your expectations.
Betty's Bay, South Africa
“Slash your menu by a half, at least ! Then you might be able to cope”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2013

Coming from the airline and travel / hospitality industry I always see many sides to the coin, so I would strongly recommend that the owners, take some note of my suggestions, for their own good.
This restaurant was the last dinner, whilst in Phnom Penh ,and something we really looked forward to, it was just two blocks from our hotel, perfect for a quick walk,even if it was raining on and off.
Very good concept, with the deli as supplement, great layout, on different levels, good art decor , style and a vibey jazz ? bar up stairs.
However that's where the fun part ends, we found the following :
Place was rather busy, it was a Saturday evening, loads of expats , and other very " celebrity" looking guests , with a superior attitude, streaming in and out.
The menu , oh si si si, terribly impressive, but requires a whole hour or two to read through, too extensive with even more items on offer from the deli , which should remain a different thing altogether.
Less is more as they say.
Loads of staff , young Khmer ladies all very willing and friendly, but their command of the English language, might not be on par, with what is required, and then to confuse the issue you expect them to master a menu , more like a Italian cook book from A to Z .
They spend their evening apologising , clearly the kitchen could not cope, I ventured down the stairs to see what was going on, it looked rather chaotic.
Three tables around us, got up and walked out, halfway through their dinner, after many complaints and requests ( we were seated on the top floor outdoors ) and were not in a hurry , its was thus quiet entertaining to sit , sip on our wine and watch, albeit frustrating on the staff's behalf.
The items are somewhat overpriced, even by P. Penh standards, especially the cold cuts etc from the deli menu.
The two chefs , that are assigned to the wood fired oven on the top floor , terrace / patio did not seem busy at all, their arms folded, waiting for orders.
I would suggest then, that they should perhaps take on some of the tasks, performed by the over-worked kitchen staff downstairs.
Our dinner when it finally came together was just average.I have done much better, and I am not pretending to be Italian.
Enough " chiefs " around , the owner, I think , probably the elderly gentleman, very Latin looking was doing some rounds , but we noticed , only with the guests that he was familiar with.
Another gent, probably the manager, Italian looking too, younger, immaculately dressed who probably was doing damage control,left right and center, and yet another even younger gent , fair , later, when I requested to see him, seemed too busy or disinterested, to respond to my request via the waitress , so I could suggest / discuss the very topic I am bringing to their and the travelers attention right now.
A great place, somewhat pretentious,with loads of attention being paid to the people you familiar with, what happens when all those expat's contracts run out ?? its the tourists like me that will support , or not , your establishment.
Take out at least a half of the items from the menu, keep the favourites, the ones that your kitchen can cope and do well, and you have a winning combination .
Until that is achieved, I would not venture back myself, and when I do find myself in your city again, it might be sooner rather than later, I would expect a huge improvement. GRAZIE and buona fortuna.

• Visited June 2013
3 Thank Jean424
Jean thank you for your suggestions, I will relate them to management and hopefully next time we can provide you with a more pleasing experience.
Siem Reap
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Nice place with authentic Italian charm”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2013

Was really looking forward to this place and was not let down. The wife and I ate like kings. The food was top draw, it took some time to arrive but as explained by the manager it is all freshly prepared. The location is great and there are other places to have a cheeky drink prior to the main deal. I always like ITALIAN run and owned restaurants as they have such passion for the food.

• Visited June 2013