“good location” 4 of 5 bubbles

Kolab Sor Phnom Penh Hotel
Ranchi, India
“good location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2014

Good location, good ambiance, good food, good room décor, helpful staff, value for money, I was there in March and stayed for 7 days. very near to busy PUB area, and night life, one can relax after though day.

Room Tip: avoid 2nd floor room, which are just above kitchen.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Sant Pol de Mar, Spain
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2014

The hotel is conveniently located close to the S21 museum but not so convenient to most attractions and restaurants. It is a taller building with a beautiful and cool lobby with friendly staff. Our room looked good. The air conditioner struggled to cool the room, so we learned to arrive and cool down in the very cool lounge prior to going to our room. The fridge turns off when you leave the room, somewhat missing the value of a fridge- don't count on a nice cool drink under the air conditioner after braving the heat outside. There were other issues too.

I think that with some good management it can be a good hotel, but we will try other hotels when returning.

Room Tip: Double check what you reserved prior to checking in.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2014 via mobile

My girlfriend and I stayed here in May for 3 nights on a recommendation from a friend. The first thing that we noticed was that the location was miles away from the centre which meant every time we wanted to go out we were looking at a $3 tuk-tuk ride.

The hotel room itself was basic but pleasant however a few issues arose fairly quickly. Firstly the wifi didn't work anywhere in the hotel other than the reception area which, although not a must have for many, was a little annoying. Secondly when our room was 'made up' each day the cleaner failed to clear out the bin and didn't top up the toiletries (including toilet paper). Finally the air conditioning in the room was extremely poor. We left it running on the lowest temperature and the highest power setting for an afternoon and when we returned the room seemed only marginally cooler than the 34 degree outside temperature.

You would have thought that the rant finishes there; sadly not. The breakfast was the worst we have had throughout our 3 week trip in Asia and included stale bread and very little fruit. Finally, the staff seemed fairly disinterested most of the time which was a shame.

In addition we booked a bus with kolab sor direct from the hotel to siem reap. We stressed to the hotel that we only had 1.5 days in siem reap so needed the earliest possible arrival time. On their advice, we booked the 7.45 bus, which we were told was a small bus with wifi provided. This was also the most expensive of the travel options they provided is with. Once we had paid, the hotel staff informed us we needed to be in the lobby waiting for the bus at 6.45, ie an hour early. When we enquired why, we were told this was because the bus went round a few hotels in town picking up passengers. Disgruntled that our 6 hour journey had now become 7 hours, we stuck with it. When we got the bus what we in fact found was that this 'small' bus in fact was a pickup van which did indeed spend an hour going round the hotels picking up other passengers. When we saw some were headed to Vietnam (the complete opposite direction to Siem Reap), we wondered what was going on. We were then taken to the bus depot where everyone was moved to 'big' buses ( advertised by the hotel at half the price we paid)and we were told that from the bus depot our journey was 7 hours! We were quite frankly beyond irritated, not to mention that the 'free wifi' worked for about 10 minutes then broke for the rest if the journey. When we stopped for 30 minutes at a roadside cafe where we were constantly pestered by begging children, we were annoyed to the max. All in all we arrived 8.5 hours after we left the hotel. The bus company was giant ibis and we would definitely not recommend!!!

If you're still reading at this point, you've reached the positive bit! kolab Sor has a hidden gem perched on floor 9; the sky bar. This bar offers nearly 360 degree views on Pnomh Penh in a really nice setting. So my advice would be not to stay here, but after visiting the Tuol Sleng museum which is two blocks away, pop up to the sky bar for the sunset and then head back to your central, well air conditioned, friendly hotel and enjoy the rest of your trip!

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2014

Very good hotel with spacious rooms and friendly staff. The location of the hotel is very ideal if you enjoy viewing the city from an elevated angle. I took so many amazing and awesome photos for my Instagram at sunrise and sunset. The hotel is very close to Tuol Sleng S21 Museum, and there are Tuktuk drivers as soon as you step outside the hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms on the higher floors with balcony.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Niagara Falls, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2014

Its a well run facility with tiny rooms in a so so location. Nothing in the immediate walking distance of great interest. Pleasant breakfast and helpful front desk. It is only good value if you get the big discount. The open-air roof top café is nice for a great view in the evening.

Poughkeepsie, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2014

Great staff, great breakfast buffet in the morning,clean rooms with space.We had a balcony.Nice view of the city.About 25 minutes on tuk from airport.Had laundry done while here. Came back pressed and beautiful.We always seen people cleaning in the day in the halls or the rooms.Had a good massage across the street.Within walking distance to Tuol Sleng

Penang Island, Malaysia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2014

The first inpression on the hotel was nice: a very nice lobby with high ceiling, sofas and plants. However, it was quite a big dissapoint when I entered the room. I booked a Cozy double room for 2 nights. The room was VERY BASIC compare to the price I have paid (about USD60 per night). I checked the rate again during my stay and found that the rate could be less than USD30 per night, for a Cozy double room).

Room- Small room with very basic amenities. Bathtub is not available, air-cond was not cold at all (I didn't complaint because I feel dissapointed with the staff too). There is a small balcony, have only 1 chair, light for the balcony is not working so I can't sit there to enjoy the view. By the way, there is nothing remarkable outside, very hot and noisy. Haning seat is not available in the room (like what illutrated in the pictures provided by hotel).

Bar-The sky bar was nice.

Breakfast- Basic, with limited variety.

Service-
i) I arrived Phnom Penh at 7:30am in the morning, I called the hotel to ask if early check in is possible. The answer was- Not posibble, the check- in time is 2pm. Well, I can understand but I really appreaciate that a lot if they allow me to check in early for a rest.

ii) Upon check-in, II asked the staff for an information, it is relating to the bus ticket from PNH to Siem Rep. I wanted to buy a ticket by myself, as I know the address. The hotel staff suggest I do not need to do it myself, as they can offer me the service. From the transport company website, I know the ticket price for walk-in customer is $15, free pick-up provided from hotel to bus station except the trip on 11pm (by transporter). Hotel wanted to charge me $17 per head, but they promise to provide me FREE PICK UP to the bas station, so I think it might be convenient if the hotel can do so. But the fact is, when I re-confirm my bus ticket 4 hours before the trip, I was informed that there is no free pick-up. I was quite unhappy about this.

iii) I asked the tuk tuk service provided by hotel, it was much more higher than what I can get outside the hotel.

Location- Not near to town (pub street, National Musuem & Rayal Palace). Not much eateries nearby. The only place within walking distance is the S21 Musuem (about 400m).

Facilities- No pool, no gym. 2 computers available at the lobby free to use.

wifi- Was ok from room.

Finally I did not stay there 2 nights. I willing to give up my 2nd night stay and breakfast without asking for refund, just because I was not willing to stay at the hotel for any longer.

To be frank, the hotel was quite good if you pay not more than $30 for a night. Since I paid about $60 for a night, I really expect more.

Room Tip: Higher floor should be better
2 Thank datin_tan