“Great option for brunch”
Review of The Duck - CLOSED

The Duck
Cuisines: European, Fusion
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed March 29, 2014

We had a very tasty brunch here. We had the eggs benedict with smoked salmon and the eggs with bacon, sourdough bread and roasted tomato. Both dishes were made very well and priced at around $5 each. We thought this was great value for money as you would pay over $10 for the same back home. The flat white coffee here was one of the best we've had in Asia. Service was awesome.

Reviewed March 22, 2014

The place was empty when we arrived at 7 pm on a Saturday, making us a bit nervous. We ordered a bottle of very good tempranillo and were served an amuse bouche of warm potato leek soup served in a shot glass. It was very good. For appetizers my husband and I ordered the sticky ribs and the tomato feta salad. Both were very good but the ribs were more room temp rather than hot however the meat was so tender and pulled right from the bone and was very delicious. Four our mains, we had the duck breast and the lamb chops. Both needed a bit of salt to my taste, and my husband wasn't thrilled about the copious amounts of fat to be found on the duck breasts, but I thought it was delicious. We skipped dessert.

Overall, this place is very good. The service was very attentive at the beginning of the meal, but waned once our mains were served. We kept having to flag them down to pour the wine or water. The food is solid and good, but not mind blowing. You can find a few restaurants like this in practically any town in North America. It was a pleasant respite from 3 weeks of SEAsian food, but once was enough for us.

Reviewed March 6, 2014

We have been living in PP for 2 months and are nearing the end of our assignment here. Tonight we were "tourists" and did a sunset trip on the Mekong River followed by dinner at The Duck after seeing a brief article about it in the NY Times. It was fantastic. The ambience, the interior design, the lighting, the service, and the food were all excellent. When you visit a restaurant and the servers can set the table and remove plates and flatware without you hearing a sound you know the training of the staff is impeccable. My wife had the duck confit and I had the Norwegian salmon. Both were excellent, perfectly prepared and placed on a wonderful bed of greens and vegetables or rocket salad. A nice bottle of wine and a desert (not highly recommended but satisfactory) and the price was more than reasonable. In NY, DC, or LA it would have been 3-4 times the price! We will return once again before returning to the USA.

Highly recommended!

Jim

1  Thank James H
Reviewed February 21, 2014

A booking was not necessary, maybe it will be in the future. The ambience was very comfortable. Service was impeccable, there when required but not hovering which can be an issue in better Asian places. We ate, mushrooms as entree, the duck confit and breast as mains and had the eaton mess and lime tart for desert. All dishes were presented perfectly and tasted great, perhaps my duck breast could have been more tender but not an issue at all. We shared a $24 bottle of red wine , one of the cheapest on the menu. Our bill was $68, expensive for Cambodia but was good value for the venue, service and food. The toilets were very modern and clean.

Reviewed January 22, 2014

My friend David and I dined at the duck cafe tonight. He started with the mussel chowder which was tasty. But lacked some depth and subtlety .it came with arugula and cherry tomato salad which was perfect. For the main course he had the the duck confit accompanied with a big salad. The confit was so tender it melts in your mouth. Unfortunately my duck breast which was tasty, but a bit on the tough side. To finish off the Eaton mess which was a delightful combination of passion fruit , whip cream and meringue. Unfortunately the attention of the server flagged after serving the main course and this detail effects the whole meal. Despite the criticism we both would recommend the duck cafe as a wonderful meal Phnom Penh.