“Excellent service, good A/C, clean and spacious.”

Camory Backpackers Hostel
Reviewed April 14, 2014

This was the final place I stayed during my backpacking trip, so I felt like nothing could really surprise me, but I was very much pleasantly surprised by the service and accommodation at Camory Backpackers Hostel. They really seem to care about guests, and are willing to go the extra mile to anticipate needs and help you have a great trip.

A couple examples: I was traveling by myself, and they suggested that I may want to join two girls for a Tuk Tuk to see the Killing Fields and S 21 so we all could pay a little less, and offered to ask them if this was OK the next time they were in the lobby. They weren't pushy, simply wanting us all to have a more affordable experience. I may not have known to ask on my own (they were in a different dorm room), so this really worked out of me.

Also, I'd booked an all-girls dorm, but this was full when I arrived. (It's pretty common for hostels in the area to have this sort of situation.) Instead of putting me in the mixed dorm (which would have been fine for me, and standard at any other hostel), they put me in the other dorm room, which was empty, so my request for a non-mixed dorm could be honored. If you have traveled in SE Asia, you know that this is some NEXT LEVEL customer service.

Dorm rooms themselves are great. Really hot showers (another luxury in Cambodia hostels), super clean (made beds every day, with cute little towel origami), super good A/C, private lights/chargers, curtains for privacy (!!!), and huge lockers with their own locks. Basically backpacker's heaven.

Breakfast is stellar.

Good location- Right on the river, so short walk to the night market and other attractions.

All in all, highly, highly recommended.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
CamoryHostel, General Manager at Camory Backpackers Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2014

Dear Valued Guest,
First of all I want to thanks to Tripadvisor for let us write a thank you letter to our guest. Thanks TA.
My staff and I would like to say thank you so much for your long and lovely review about our place on TripAdvisor page. We want to say that your wonderful reviews which has been shared all our staff with great pride and in providing all our customers with a high standard of service.
Note:
Camory restaurant is pleased to announce to all valued clients that..
To cope up with the hot weather in this season we have now equipped Two more air-cons to ensure your most convenient stay in the rooms & eat meal in the restaurant with Fresh air.
Camory Backpackers Hostel/restaurant is committed to delivering only the best quality and service values in terms of tasty and fast food with affordable price.
Thank you for choosing to stay and to eat at Camory Backpackers Hostel/Restaurant.
We are looking forward to serving you again for your next visit.
Camory Backpackers Hostel/restaurant

Reviewed April 6, 2014

The dorms are clean and have a comfortable amount of space. Each bed has a place to lock valuables. The AC and fans are adequate against the heat, and the staff are super friendly. Breakfast was very good, especially for a hostel.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
CamoryHostel, General Manager at Camory Backpackers Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2014

Dear Valued Customer,
First of all we would like to thanks to Tripadvisor for let us write a thank you letter to our guest. Thanks TA. My staff and I would like to say thank you so much for spent most of valued time to write a lovely review our place on TripAdvisor and we want to say that your wonderful reviews which has been shared with all of our staff with great pride in providing all our customers with a high standard of service.
Thank you for your visit our King of Cambodia and spent your valued time staying and dinning at Camory hostel/restaurant. So this is a little message from our staff including me, Lay Neth to wish you all happiness at this special time of the year and lots of good luck + + + + + Happy Khmer New Year of April 14th in 2014.
Camory Hostel/restaurant

Reviewed March 24, 2014

Great service, location, and value for money. I was impressed with the breakfast that was serves as ala carte ( 4$ value) and was offered free in the room rate. Staff are so friendly and the hostel was super clean with strong wifi and great location on the riverside

• Stayed: March 2014

Dear Sir,
Sir, my staff and I would like to say thank you so much for spent most of valued time to write a lovely review our place on TripAdvisor and we want to say that your wonderful reviews which has been shared with all of our staff with great pride in providing all our customers with a high standard of service.
Thank you for your visit our King of Cambodia and spent your valued time staying and dinning at Camory hostel/restaurant. So this is a little message from our staff including me, Lay Neth to wish you all happiness at this special time of the year and lots of good luck + + + + + Happy Khmer New Year of April 14 in 2014.
Camory Hostel/restaurant

Reviewed March 11, 2014

This is one of the best hostels that I ever stayed in. Very clean, confortable, spacious bed (and there's a courtain in each one that give us more privacy). The breakfast was surprisingy good (eggs benedict with smoked salmon is pure luxury and the coffee is great!). But the best thing about this hostel is the increadible staff. We were assisted by them all the time that we needed. While staying there we had a problem (not with the hotel) and the management went above and beyond to help us (Thank you so much!!!). The location is perfect, just in front of the river and near of the main touristic places as Royal Palace and night market. Just take care with your bags when you are walking around at night.

Room Tip: the mixed dorm is nicer than the women dorm and all period that I was there was not full.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
CamoryHostel, General Manager at Camory Backpackers Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded March 17, 2014

Hi Lady and Gentleman,
First I must need to say many thanks to Tripadvisor for let me writ a thankful letter to our guest via TA. Thanks!!
Thank you for your value time to write down your value recommendation about our services here on TA. We very much enjoy reading your lovely reviews for to know that you had a wonderful stay and eat food at our hostel/restaurant. We are sincerely sorry for what happened to you and your boyfriend when you were in Phnom Penh one night. We share everything with our customers particularly both in happy and unhappy times. Let me share with you for this bad event. We are always ready to help and do our best to help our guests in whatsoever conditions.
Thank you again for choosing Camory hostel/restaurant as the best place to stay and to eat. Hopefully, you both are really fine over there in your country and we wish you come back to visit Phnom Penh, Cambodia again soon, probably in the near future!!
G. M Lay Neth
at Camory Hostel/restaurant

Reviewed March 2, 2014

The location of the hostel is excellent with nice view of the river from the balcony. The breakfast was delicious and was included in the cost. Although I had booked a bed in 5 bed dorm, they gave me a bed in the 12 bed dorm by explaining that there were only women in the 5-bed dorm. Anyway, it was not a big deal for me and they apologized genuinely. The beds were comfortable and there was a separate reading light for each bed.
I didn't know that the main door closes at midnight. I reach at 12:30 am and had to knock to let myself inside.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
CamoryHostel, General Manager at Camory Backpackers Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded March 9, 2014

Dear valued Guest,
Thank you TripAdvisor for let us write a thankful letter to our guest. Thanks!
It was a pleasure reading your review on TripAdvisor, and we are very glad that you felt pampered in our hostel/restaurant services, and had a most enjoyable time with us here in Phnom Penh.
Hopefully, you will visit us again soon, probably in the near future!!
Have a good holiday in the Kingdom of Wonder!!
Lay Neth, G manager at Camory Hostel/restaurant

Reviewed February 19, 2014 via mobile

Despite its prime location on the riverside and near to many amazing restaurants and attractions, Camory seems to be overlooked by many travelers. While I was there the big dorm was never more than half full.

The bed was comfy, the price was great ($12USD/night), and it came with high speed wifi and complimentary breakfast. The staff were friendly and helpful, and the hostel was clean and in good maintenance.

The room got a bit mosquitoey at night, but a bit of bug spray will prevent bites, and the food service was a bit slow, but otherwise I have nothing but positives for this hostel!

Would definitely recommend.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
CamoryHostel, General Manager at Camory Backpackers Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2014

Dear Valued Customer,
First of all I would like to thanks to TripAdvisor for let us write a thankful letter to our customer. Thanks TA!!
This letter is to express my heartfelt thanks for check-in at our place and giving us the opportunity to serve you meals as well. I was very delighted to hear you were satisfied with our best services.
Our policy is that customer is God whose provide money so we must take good care to every guest. However, we are sincerely sorry as well as for disturbing mosquitoes that night which was due to the uncollected pile-up of wastes in recent weeks by the striking city cleaning workers. But this happened elsewhere in the capital in many other lodgings too.
We hope the insects will be cleared as soon as possible. It is also because Cambodia is a developing country. By the way, we are positive that you can give us the honor to serve you again next time, probably soon in near future. Thank you!!!
Lay Neth G. Manager at Camory Hostel/restaurant

Reviewed February 5, 2014

Despite booking months in advance they had allowed someone to stay longer and so there was no room for us. Another couple who booked a couple of days before were told there was no room for them either.

They told us we could stay next door at the Japanese hotel. We wanted them to uphold their end of the deal $12 per person, per night and free breakfast. We were negotiating when a guy who had been watching from behind the breakfast counter shouted that we didn't understand, that it was the internets fault, that they had to make money and we didn't understand.

Turned out he was the manager. We didn't know because when we arrived 15 minutes earlier he just hid. He didn't come to apologise and he never apologised once later. His wife was more helpful.

It was bad enough that he couldn't empathise or sympathise with our situation, nor understand that he should uphold what was agreed on hostels.com but that he lied and said it was the internets fault when we'd already been told they'd mistakenly let people stay longer despite our booking(s) made it worse.

In the end we negotiated 2 free breakfasts (instead of 4) and $12.50 per person per night.

We were disappointed more than anything because the hostel looks great and we wanted a hostel not a hotel for the social side.

On the positive side, they were very friendly after and their breakfasts were decent. We booked a tuk tuk through them to the killing fields and he was great.

The location is also excellent.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
CamoryHostel, General Manager at Camory Backpackers Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2014

Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you TripAdvisor for let us writ a thankful letter to our guest. Thanks!
‘The customer is always right’ and this is the first time for us received a poor review regarding to our service. We are really thankful if you stop angry with us since we have already found the appropriate solution for you and friend with the delicious breakfast and comfortable room served. Really sorry for what happened to you both.
We are now working to ensure that every service is corrected and the rule must need some changes in order to improve to our service excellence.
Thank you for choosing Camory Backpacker’s Hostel/restaurant. I look forward to serving you again soon, probably in the near future!
Lay Neth G Manager at Camory Hostel/restaurant