“Calm Oasis in a Bustling City”

Queen Na Guest House
Ranked #23 of 333 Phnom Penh B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 9, 2014

Arrival at Queen Na after an overnight flight from Australia was exactly what I needed, especially when I found out I'd been upgraded to a luxury room (I'm never that person who gets upgraded, haha). After reading the other reviews here, I did have high expectations and they were beyond met. The room was clean, beautifully furnished with just the right amount of furniture, had loads of space and a bathtub! (a luxury in itself in SE Asia). As the guesthouse is nice and small with just 8 rooms, it is very peaceful here and has the feeling of a home rather than a large sterile guesthouse. I was so glad to be down a quiet, leafy street and had the best sleep i'd had in days. I could not believe it was so peaceful right in the centre of Phnom Penh!

The pool is also a real treat after walking around in the heat of Phnom Penh, and it was also very clean and provided a peaceful, relaxing atmosphere. You can have your breakfast poolside, or there is a spacious terrace on the 2nd floor which overlooks the pool.

The location is perfect; you are withing walking distance to many Phnom Penh attractions (Royal Palace is maybe 10-15 minutes walking, same for the riverside - you can also take a tuk tuk quite easily, there were always tuk tuks waiting in the street, or about 50 meters up the road), so it is easy to get to the action if you want, but you are able to come back to this quiet oasis. There are also numerous good restaurants and cafes just a few blocks away, as well as a pharmacy and the independence monument. It is the perfect place to stay.

As a solo female traveler, security is very important to me and I always felt safe and secure at Queen Na. They have 24 hour security, a front gate with a doorbell (which was always promptly answered) and the room had locking drawers and was very secure.

Brian and Na were away at the time, but there was a note left on the desk in my room apologizing that they had not been able to greet me personally, but they would do so when they returned 2 days later, which to me says that they care about being able to make their guests feel at home and when I did meet them they were warm and welcoming, as had been the staff - every time i returned they were always smiling and asking how i was or where i'd been. Another nice touch was the information booklet provided in the room. At most other guesthouses this lists their rules, etc, but this one contained a very helpful map and some information about Cambodia, including the culture and the people.

In conclusion, I have done a fair amount of traveling in Southeast Asia, including about 10 visits to Thailand and this is far and away one of the best places I've stayed in the region. In Bangkok now and already missing this guesthouse. I would definitely recommend and when I return to Phnom Penh I know exactly where to stay!

ps - some of my discoveries in the area for those interested - a great place to eat is the Lotus Blanc restaurant - it is a training restaurant where trainees are putting their new skills to practical use, often coming from underprivileged backgrounds. the service and food is fantastic, and very good value and just about a 5-10 minute walk from Queen Na on street 51 at street 310. try the chicken banana blossom salad and the fish amok curry. Joma bakery at the intersection of the Norodom road and street 294 is a good bet for coffees and if you are in the mood for more western cafe food like soups and sandwiches. For the other fitness freaks out there, there is a gym called 'the place', also on street 51, right across from the Wat Langka. drop in costs $15, and this includes use of the gym, classes (including a very fun Khmer dance class!), steam sauna and a 25 m pool with terrace, also an internet room and lounge. discounts if you are staying around longer. at Wat Langka there are hour long vipassana meditation sessions held on Tuesday and Thursday nights (free of charge). All within easy reach of Queen Na!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
3  Thank abhainnmor
There are newer reviews for Queen Na Guest House

Reviewed February 26, 2014

I stayed in Queen Na for three months and was so satisfied with the service of the staff who looked after me so well. The location was excellent as it was walking distance from lovely cafes, bars, restaurants and supermarkets. The street itself is nicely secluded and peaceful. The breakfasts are great and are made to very high standard. The bedrooms are extremely spacious and bathrooms are clean and practical.

Room Tip: The rooms upstairs towards the end of the corridor are quieter.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed February 17, 2014

I stayed at Queen Na for the whole month of January, sharing room 6 with two girls. Upon arrival, i was extremely surprised, and very pleased, to see that the room was massive - containing 2 queen beds and a single. Despite holding 3 people total, the room still felt spacious and comfortable. Brian had also thoughtfully added an extra wardrobe to the room (2 in total) so storage was not an issue either. All of the upstairs rooms i saw were similarly spacious and impressive.

Every single breakfast i ordered at Queen Na was delicious. English breakfast, toast with fruit, muesli and yogurt - all good. And the coffee: usually i am a tea drinker, but i was quickly converted to the seriously unique and delicious coffee they serve. You must try it!

The service was so friendly and helpful. The staff are always welcoming and happy to have a conversation and practice their great English skills. The doorman was quick to respond and always had a welcoming smile on his face that after a while made me feel like i was coming home. Brian and Na were very generous and helpful - helping us anytime we asked, with travel bookings and suggestions on great places shop, eat or explore. One weekend, I was heading to Chi Phat to go trekking out in a remote area with no phone reception when we realised that there was an issue with the driver coming to pick us up at the end of the trip. Na was so helpful and generous to organise a new return driver for us while we were out of phone range, she arranged a comfortable highlander for a great price. Brian and Na are definitely reliable and trustworthy - they will get you the best deal they can!

Overall, it was a great month and i loved my time at Queen Na. The only thing i would have loved was some cushions upstairs so i could curl up and read a book - the wooden furniture is beautiful to look at, but not super comfortable for long periods of time sitting!

The location is fantastic, walking distance or a short tuk-tuk to hundreds of restaurants and attractions.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Clareabelle91
Reviewed January 29, 2014

I have been volunteering in Phnom Penh for four weeks and living in Queen Na has no doubt enhanced and enriched my experiences. The house locates at the heart of the city next to the independent monument. There are all sorts of Khmer restaurants, Chinese restaurants, Indian food, street BBQ(my favourite), western food, cafes and bars around. All are located within walking distance. You will never worry about where to get food but what food you gonna have. The unique location of the guesthouse also makes it easier for us to get to some of the famous tourist spots such as waterfront, palace, FCC, S21, night market, etc. You will never pay more than $3 to get to those places. if you worry that staying in such place may get noisy at night, but quite on opposite, I have been really enjoying serenity at Queen Na. What's more? The hosts Bryan and Na are absolutely wonderful and helpful to 16 of us. They provided us with geographic, cultural and language support all the time to help us get familiar with the city and the people here. I could not ask more from them. They make us feel like staying home. When I came back from Siem Reap after being away for four days, I really did feel like I was going home. I don't think I need to emphasise how amazing the facilities are in the guesthouse, with a gorgeous swimming pool, spatial dinning area,kitchen, clean bedroom and bathroom, what more could you ask? The local staffs here are very friendly and they are willing to help you whenever you need. Feel free to learn some Khmer from them if you plan to stay a bit longer. I will definitely come back to Queen Na if I am in town again next time.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed January 29, 2014

2 months in Queen Na and I am still very delighted to call it home in Phnom Penh. The hosts Bryan and Na have been lovely, approachable and helpful since Day 1. They provided us with plenty of valuable tips on local events, nearby restaurants, weekend travels, taxi contacts and approximate prices, even tips on crossing the roads and keeping safe generally! The staff are amiable and even go the extra mile to help out. There is a security guard 24/7.

The location is great as it is less than a minute away from many restaurants and cafés that suit different tastes and budgets. There is a gym nearby. The house itself is spacious, charmingly decorated and is always kept clean. There is a pool downstairs and a nice balcony upstairs where you can watch the psychedelic-coloured sunset behind the silhouette of a few tall houses. I have never had any trouble sleeping at night due to noise (just make sure you shut the windows before night-time so the mosquitos don't get in). The breakfast is delicious and made fresh. I would go back to this place anytime if I could!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 27, 2014

My stay in the Queen Na Guesthouse has exceeded all expectations. Bryan, Na, and the local staff are eternally friendly, helpful, and accommodating, all day every day. If there is anything they can do to improve your stay, they will! The guesthouse is a beautiful and peaceful place where you can take a break from the hustle and bustle of Phnom Penh by lying by the gorgeous pool or relaxing peacefully on the open upstairs balcony. At the same time, the guesthouse is also in a prime location, close to the Riverfront, as well as within walking distance from attractions, great local and western cafes and restaurants, supermarkets, gyms, and shops. The rooms are impeccably clean, and the beds are extremely comfortable, with rooms having plenty of storage space especially if you are staying a little longer. Breakfast is delicious, servings are generous, complimentary wifi is always available, security is 24/7 for your peace of mind. All up, the beautiful rooms, the great food, convenient location, and most importantly, unbelievably friendly staff, have all ensured a brilliant stay in Queen Na Guesthouse, Phnom Penh. I'll be sad to leave, but will definitely be staying here hands down next time I'm in town.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 27, 2014

Bryan and Na have been excellent hosts to our group of 12-16 rambunctious, hungry, energetic and sometimes homesick legal interns for 3 months!

Na was amazing at helping us book travel (and negotiate prices!) almost every week, including our constant changes and questions. She always made time to help out straight away with a smile and tonnes of patience to make sure we were being looked after.

Bryan has also made sure that everything is working, comfortable, that our breakfasts are ready to go as we run out the door each day and that there's a tasty array of bakery treats at reception. Plus he's a wealth of knowledge about all things PP - prices, distances, cool places to go.

Without their hospitality and homely environment our stay wouldn't have been as incredible as it has been. The location of the guesthouse is perfect distance to all of Phnom Penh's most popular tourist sites. Finally, Queen Na is safe and peaceful and the pool is great for an afternoon relax! Your entire team have been friendly and accommodating, we'll definitely be back!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business