“Lovely stay” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #27 of 333 Phnom Penh B&B and Inns
Singapore, Singapore
“Lovely stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2013

We stayed 3 nights at Villa Borann. Firstly the rooms are large and clean there is a fridge/tea coffee/TV/DVD. Every room has a terrace or balcony, they serve a wide range of drinks on the balcony or by the pool for a really reasonable price. Its in a great location there are plenty of resturants very close by or its a 10-15 minutes walk down to the riverfront/Royal Palace area. The pool is small but perfect for a refreshing dip at the end of the day. The breakfast was good and substantial and the service always comes with a smile. Great price for a great little boutique type hotel.

Room Tip: All rooms look about the same
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2013

This is a relatively new hotel, is very well presented, the rooms are very spacious, very clean and the location is fine.
They just need to focus on the service level, which does need improving, Francois the GM is very attentative, but if he is not around things not so good.
I waited 20 mins to be served for breakfast (only person in the dining area), when i was not given a choice, just presented with fired eggs and bacon, when Francois appeared i asked him why here was no choice, his response wasthats what i asked for, clearly it was not. This waiting around made me late for an important meeting, when checking out they couold not even change a $100 bill, that made me even later, it took around 15 mins to check out and only me there.
I hope they can imptove things in this area as its a very good value hotel, i visit cambodia on business every month and wouold like to return but would need some re-assurance that things had improved

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Chennai (Madras), India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at Villa Borann for a total of three nights in Phnom Penh when we visited Cambodia in August 2013. Overall we had a very good experience. Regarding the room itself - it was very big and spacious, well decorated and had both, a toilet and bathroom (with 2 washbasins :-)). There was a DVD player with some DVDs in the room as well. The one negative about this room was that the AC wasn't as powerful enough to cool the entire room. It took some time for the room to cool down. In addition, villa Borann has a nice swimming pool as well - just what you need for a typical hot summer afternoon in Cambodia! Breakfast was good, eggs-bacon-coffee-fruit. The staff was very courteous and friendly and went out of the way to make us feel comfortable including allowing us a delayed check out. With regard to the location, it is located on street 19, very close to the intersection with suramarit blvd, so it's quite easy to tell a tuk-tuk where you need to go. It's also just a 10min walk to the royal palace and the museum, so quite close to the center of the city. There are a couple of restaurants closeby, with a restaurant called "the vegetarian" located just across the road. All in all, we had a wonderful stay there, and I would definitely recommend this place to anyone who visits Cambodia

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Vinay N
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2013

I stayed here for 7 nights over a two week period. It's a great location near the Royal Palace, Museum and for early morning walks through the parks around Independence Monument to watch people doing exercise routines. My room was spacious, elegant and cleaned meticulously with clean, fresh fluffy towels daily. Poolside lounges and balcony chairs and tables gave me a number of outdoor places to relax, swim, read and write. Breakfast included juice, fruit, bottomless coffee, eggs, bacon, baguettes and jam. There is also a bar serving spirits, wine and cocktails. The staff were friendly and really made me feel well cared for, especially when I came down with a sickness. They organised medical treatment and went out to get me supplies late at night. During my stay, they offered to organise transport, kept my bags secure when i went to Siem Reap and offered caring and reliable service.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Penang Island, Malaysia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013

I stayed in a triple room at Villa Borann with two guests in early June of 2013. We had just one night in Phnom Penh so I wanted to stay somewhere special and unique. I figured I'd stay at Villa Borann, because of its overwhelmingly positive reviews. And I agree with much of what those positive reviewers said: the hotel is very lovely on the exterior, it has a charming pool, a great breakfast, and is in a perfect location, walking distance to the riverfront and the National Museum, etc. But for what I paid for the room, it did not come close to meeting my expectations. Here are my complaints: We were on the third floor of the hotel, in a corner room. The hotel does not have any elevators, which is common in hotels in Southeast Asia, but if a hotel is only navigable by stairs, I feel it is the hotel workers' obligation to help guests get their bags to their rooms. My family had three huge bags, and only one man offered to help, and frankly didn't seem too happy about it. Secondly, the hotel bathroom did not have any handsoap, nor did it have a trash can, or floor towel (which meant when we showered the floor got soaked). Further, the bathroom smelled like sewage our entire stay. The air conditioning did not work for half of the night, so our room smelled like the sewagy bathroom.

I grant that many of those complaints may have been flukes -- air conditioning units can be fixed, etc. But the more serious issue I found was with the service itself. The two owners did not seem to run a tight ship: many of my requests were not heard, or misunderstood. I asked for a tuk tuk transport to the killing fields, and a taxi showed up instead (one of the French owners seems annoyed with me when I clarified my request for the tuk tuk). I requested a taxi to the airport multiple times, but when I was all checked out, they had seemed to forget about it. Finally, the front desk did not even have a city map.

I admit that it is very hard to get an impression of a place after just one night, and that's why I give the Villa an average review. I have high hopes that my family came to the hotel on an 'off' day, and that if we were to come back, the service and amenities would be much better. My stay just left a bad taste in my mouth, because it was a lot of cash and it did not end up feeling like a good value at all.

Room Tip: If you have lots of luggage, request a room on one of the first two floors.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Kat F
Eastbourne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights whilst in Cambodia. After a shaky start due to our room leaking (main room and bathroom), our issue was resolved quickly and professionally by the manager of the boutique hotel.

We were more than happy with our new room - clean, spacious, nice view of the pool. The staff here are great, very friendly and helpful - the place is really relaxing with a chilled vibe and nice pool. Also a great location to explore.

Room Tip: Room at the back of hotel, overlooking pool.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2013

I just had a very nice stay of 7 nights in this hotel; the room was very comfortable; the pool is very nice; the staff and the manager are friendly and the service was perfect during my stay I had never had to ask anything as everything was automatically done.
I definitely recommend this place for people who need a quiet and relaxing stay in Phnom Penh.
This place is also fantastic for families.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business