“Really like it, but I am passionate about udon!”
Review of Green Bowl

Green Bowl
Ranked #229 of 1,589 Restaurants in Phnom Penh
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed May 19, 2014

I am always looking around for restaurants like this, and must say that this is and will be always in my top 10 food options in Phnom Penh.

The design is somehow "creative", could have be done more, but once it come to their menu, you will not mind about it. It stills give a comfortable feeling.

I wouldn't say it's cheap, prices start from 5 up, but for the quality you have it's right in my opinion.

Been there few times will keep to go there for sure

Only thing, service sometime is a bit too slow.

1  Thank Fredolo67

Reviewed May 18, 2014

I went looking forward to a bowl of lovely cold udon with fresh toppings of sashimi base on others reviews but was disappointed to find no sashimi and no vegetable rolls either, I was told "no more" when I asked about the rolls even though they were on the order sheet.
But I decided to try the udon so ordered a regular size udon with okra and nattaou <which I discovered were the fermented soy beans, when I asked she just said soy beans so be warned> and a little grated radish ans finely chopped spring onions. As there were no healthy options, everything else was tempura, I ordered a fresh spring egg.
It all came quickly and nicely presented. I was expecting to struggle with the quantity based on others comments but I easily consumed my very tasty meal and I am not a big eater. I noted the egg was barely cooked at all, which in was fine with but I most other people I know would not be, it would have been perfect for hot udon as it would have cooked a little more in the broth but for cold it does not of course.
Would I go back? Maybe to try the Imari and rice balls but not for the udon simply because of the lack of choice of healthy toppings.
It was OK value in Cambodia but better elsewhere.

Reviewed April 22, 2014 via mobile

Good interior, nice and relaxing. Out of the wide variety of choice in the menu, I tried the meat udon and tempura of eggplant and cucumber, and the price was around 7$ in total.

The level of broth is not hyper but is at the same level of a similarly priced udon noodle shop in Japan. The noodle itself focuses on a chewey texture, which is also typical for reasonably priced chain noodle restaurants.

Over all it is a udon shop which is at a satisfactory level. May consider comming again.

Reviewed February 23, 2014

The Udon Café Green Bowl lies in the upcoming and very interesting Boeung Keng Kang quarter a little bit south of the main city centre of Phnom Penh. The BKK area is currently one of the quarters, which develop into areas where you have nice restaurants, cafés and shops. The streets are full of 1-2 storey houses, some colonial villas etc. In total, a very nice setting both for strolling around during the day or in the evening.

The Udon Café Green Bowl lies some meters away from the street and most of the tables are inside. The main room is nicely designed (modern) and we liked it from the first moment we entered the room.

Most importantly, the soups are just great. Although I am not an Udon expert, I would say that they are how they should be. Strong soup, very good, thick noodles and fresh ingredients. You can choose from different cold and warm basic soups and add the „toppings“ you like as well as extra tempura or sashimi. I had the Beef Udon with extra seaweed and as an extra shrimp tempura – everything was perfect!

Service is efficient and friendly.

1  Thank Jochen S
Reviewed December 11, 2013

Was looking for my first Japanese food experience in Phnom Penh. Was not expecting much so just picked a restaurant close by. Found Green Bowl. Its set behind what seemed like someone's accommodation. With a light green paint job and windows it has more of a cozy cottage cum tea house feel.The emphasis here is on the Udon noodles served both hot and cold and a variety of Tempura dishes. Rice lovers will not be disappointed. Sashimi selection is limited. The menu is one large printed page divided into box like sections, each having a colour code.
You order by filling in on a order chit that's handed to you. There is a main menu, another for new additions and one for drinks. Make sure you spot all the menus. Portions are good and if you order the Large portion, perhaps two can share if you are not a big eater or super hungry. Food is tasty, authentic enough and well presented. Pricing is reasonable.Service is excellent. Glad we ate here and will definitely be back.

2  Thank PM500