“Quirky little gem, worth a look.”
Review of Trunkh - CLOSED

Trunkh
More attraction details
Owner description: Cambodia's first concept shop, trunkh. Is a treasure trove of cool, quirky, beautiful and, until now, unsung Khmer eclectica: from rescued carousel animals, upcycled furniture, funky homewares, hand painted shop signs, screen printed sarongs and teatowels, totes, and lovely jewellery, trunkh. Celebrates icons of Khmer street culture with gifts, souvenirs and cool stuff we make and find for travellers and locals of all persuasions and budgets. Prices start at $1. Trunkh. Is open 10-7 everyday except mondays.
Reviewed August 9, 2013

Great little hidden gem. Run by a very friendly Aussie lady. Pop on in for a chat and grab a few gifts for friends (or yourself!)

luckyfishsoup, Owner at Trunkh, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2013

Dear Carlie D,
Thanks so much for popping in to trunkh. and taking time to write a great review. Come on in any time you're back in the neighbourhood - we'd love to catch up!

Marianne & Doug

Reviewed July 29, 2013

This store was a little gem. We discovered it as we walked down to pay homage to "Building", the municipal housing tenement by Vann Molyvann.
It's sells an eclectic mix of new & old, stylish & kitsch, with many items "re-imagined" for new use.
The stock, I would say, is more curated that simply chosen for sale & certainly reflects the playful nature of the owners (one an interior designer from Palm Springs & one an ex-creative director in advertising...I think).
If this shop were in London it would be the place to go for artefacts & homewares & would probably be situated in a very hip part of town like Shoreditch. It was remarkable to find in Phnom Penh.
So if you're in the market to take home an imaginative gift that reflects Cambodia but you're fed up with the usual tourist tat then put this shop on your list.
The charming owners will also give you tips of less obvious sight seeing destinations & send you away with a smile.
If you don't like it, then you simply don't get the concept. Enjoy!

2  Thank TelboyofPeckham
luckyfishsoup, Owner at Trunkh, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2013

Dear TelboyofPeckham,

Our hearts skipped a little beat of joy when we read your review. We do our best to rummage for the good stuff, and create things we love in the hope that others will too. Thankyou for stopping by and taking the time to write such positive paragraphs afterwards. If you were here right now we'd buy you a beer.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

I'm writing this review because I saw that somebody had been really disappointed with their visit to Trunkh. I'm not connected with Trunkh but I have been in there several times. I wear the cute home made badges on my hand bags. I found my favourite scarf there. They have some beautiful, historic pieces that are far out of my price range but I still enjoy being able to go in and wander around. Perhaps the time I spent working in the provinces (where most of the pieces come from) has given me a warped appreciation of these everyday objects, but I really do think it's worth a look for pretty much anyone visiting Cambodia, regardless of how strong or weak your connection to the country is. It is refreshing to shop somewhere that does not sell the cliche, mass produced (and mostly imported) items that are to be found at Russian and Central markets. Thank you so much to the proprietors - the hard work you put in to sourcing your stock does not go unappreciated!

luckyfishsoup, Owner at Trunkh, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2013

Dear K O,
It warmed the cockles of our hearts when we read your wonderful review of trunkh. and so glad you found your favourite scarf at our place. Your appreciation, warped or otherwise, is what keeps us going!

Reviewed May 31, 2013 via mobile

I wholeheartedly support the positive comments made on Trip Advisor which lead me to drop into this business yesterday. After a tropical couple of hours looking over the Royal Palace I was very pleasantly surprised by the wall of cool air as I stepped into Trunkh and equally pleasantly surprised by the eclectic display of wares inside.This place is not just for locals - I had no problem selecting a handful of items that were not displayed at any of the markets I had seen in the preceding week. All will fit comfortably into my luggage without troubling the scales at the next half dozen airports they will have to pass through. Co-Owner Doug took quite some time out of his obviously busy schedule to chat and give some provenance on the gifts I had chosen. A genuine and interesting gentleman. Trunkh would be a welcome find in any city or tourist destination. The contrast with the other tourist oriented businesses I saw in Phnom Penh makes it an absolute treasure house.

luckyfishsoup, Owner at Trunkh, responded to this reviewResponded June 14, 2013

Dear carpentaria,

You're an absolute treasure yourself - thanks for taking the time to visit and review trunkh.
We love to hunt for Cambodia's unusual, silly, and sublime - and as inveterate travellers ourselves we understand it's essential to make and find gifts, fashion, objects and homewares that travel light. We're so glad we found our way into your luggage and hope your gifts were appreciated at the other end!

Anytime you're back in town, please drop in, if only for some cool air and a chat with Doug :)

Reviewed February 28, 2013

an excellent find in a fascinating and growing part of town, this is a great store. among the quirky contemporary design hybrid pieces are beautiful one-off items such as the hand-painted local and provincial shop signs. these amazing examples of naive / folk art should be snapped up before they cease to exist. indeed trunkh is far more than a funky gift and homewares store, it is a veritable gallery and museum of the rapidly changing recent khmer culture and history. visiting the store several times I even noticed that local khmers themselves are being inspired by the store to realize the beauty in their own makeshift environment.

luckyfishsoup, Owner at Trunkh, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2013

Dear gus b,

bravo for taking the time to write such a wonderful review of trunkh. and for being a repeat visitor to the store!

we fall in love with stuff everyday, especially humble, unsung objects that are fast disappearing from modern cambodian life. our khmer customers, browsers and remeniscers are growing in number - they'll often share a childhood story prompted by a sign or object. Many young Cambodians haven't seen some of the old-school things we stock, and are fascinated by their provenance. It makes us very happy to hear the stories and, in our own small way, help share connections across the generations.