“lacking business ethics, potential fraud of payment risk”

La Rose Boutique Hotel & Spa
Ranked #8 of 269 Hotels in Phnom Penh
Los Angeles, California
“lacking business ethics, potential fraud of payment risk”
Reviewed January 30, 2014

I prepaid a full deposit for 2 nights stay here. Unfortunately the protests in Thailand and risk of airport complete shutdown stopped my trip to Cambodia. I notified the hotel more than a day in advance that I had to cancel my international trip there due to safety and travel concerns.
The warning here is they kept all of my money including tax and service fee and refused all refund despite Being able to resell my room to someone else. I understood there was some hardship to them for giving advance notice but only of a bit more than a day (2 days in the case of my second night) and that I could accept that they take some fee from me. However they said they will keep 100% of my money even though I notified them to cancel so they could resell the room.

The point is this - they kept 100% of my money...this means including taxes and service fees for taxes and services they did not provide.

When I asked them to handle my situation fairly because I did not cancel in some malicious way and that I would settle with them for some fee, they insisted that they keep all of my money.

So in the end, please be careful with your money if you prepay them. In my case they kept the tax and service portion of my money, resold the room and kept my full rate for the room. I believe in the United States it is illegal to keep a customer's money for government fees and at the least it is unethical to keep service fees so usually some partial refund after fees would be granted. In this case I feel they stole my money and after asking them for resolution they rejected my requests and kept it all.

Buyer be warned.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
5 Thank ben s
IT T, Manager at La Rose Boutique Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, February 6, 2014
It's very true that high profile and successful businessman do injustice thing. Being an educated and well ethic entrepreneur and a chairman/ CEO of a well-known company, one must travel the world; however, it doesn't take a genius to understand online hotel bookings procedure and policy that people accepted it before booking. Why one have to hurt a small business like us and take advantage of the review tool to defame us. Of course, we are just a small luxury boutique hotel consisting of 10 rooms, but we serve from heart and with a smile.

Initially, we received your booking via expedia(dot)com, reservation id: 389810566 under the name of *********** on December 23, 13 for a check-in January 15, 2014 and check-out January 17, 2014. Only 1 Double Room for two adults as you mentioned you travel with your business partner from Thailand.

You booked via that booking site and you accepted their term and condition when making a booking. It's a true that it's you and that booking site business, not the hotel. We, the hotel, have a mutual agreement with the online site also and we received this booking from the online booking site, not you.

On the contrary, we received a direct email cancellation from you, not expedia in a very last minute (less than a day) at 18:44 local time, just merely a day prior to your check-in. Since you got trapped in your agreement with the online booking site, you decided to contact us instead. You'd never cancelled via online booking site, which you should had, because we still received your rooming list at 15:57 of your check-in date, January 15, 2014.

We don't charge you and will never, but we charge online site that work with you. All hotels working with online booking engines have a mutual agreement of term & condition and clear policy (our cancellation policy is always there to notice our clients, in your online booking site that you book through, their cancellation is 14 days before arrival, guest will be charged 100%). Neither is it difficult to understand nor is it complicated. We don't have any authority to deal directly with you.

However, as a courtesy and a good gesture, we showed our sympathy and tolerant towards you and decided to reply your email straight away stating that your cancellation is less than a day. As you told us you would comeback so we fought with the top management team to hold your reservation onto your next visit. In return, you don't even appreciate it, and defame us saying that we steal your money, we don't see a well ethic entrepreneur character here.

You might need to understand that room rate we share to all online booking sites in our agreement is all a NET rate which includes government tax, and no extra charge. Usually, online booking sites break it down, so you should talk to your online booking site given the fact that you want a tax claim and any kind of your so-called refund.

You should have learnt that during which your booking was confirmed until December 2013, we rejected a number of bookings from travel agents and other online sites because your booked room is a very last room. When you violate the policy and cancelled less than one day, how on earth you can find a booking just a day to replace your absentee - not easy as you say, this is impossible. Please note that we can't never resell this room already.

Successful businessman understands other businessmen challenging and how thing works, and they won't do just that. They would understand how the Term & Condition and policy works, not run around and accuse others.

Reference to your email, we no longer hold your reservation.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Huntingdon, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 28, 2014

This is a small, centrally located hotel thatwas ideal for us. Our room was very comfortable and spacious with a four poster bed, and a massage couch. The level of personal and attentive service from all the staff was impressive, the wonderful spa treatment, and the extra touches such as fresh fruit and flowers in the room meant we felt very pampered. The food was freshly cooked to order. We would certainly have no hesitation in recommending it.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Ubud, Indonesia
Reviewed January 13, 2014

I very much enjoyed my stay at La Rose. The staff and management are very friendly and helpful. (Sometimes too much so. Seeing them running to get to the door to open it for me always made me feel a bit uncomfortable to be honest) My room was very nice, very clean, very modern. Their breakfasts were excellent.

The hotel is located on a busy uninteresting road, quite a ways away from just about everything. You will need to take a tuk-tuk to get to the riverside and the restaurants there. During daylight this is pretty easy, but at night it can be tough. The hotel does have its own tuk-tuk, unfortunately, the driver, at least when I was there, seemed to speak little English, so did not understand where I needed to go. A member of the desk staff had to come out and translate. No one will know where the hotel is either, so you'll need to have a card to help drivers find the hotel when you return.

There were a few minor issues I had, very minor, but I feel I should bring them up. The first is the music that is played in the hallways. Their windows might be doubled paned, but their doors are not soundproof. I found the new age music drifting into my room all day and evening to be very distracting. Second is the room setup. Maybe the hotel has rooms with more than just beds. I was given a room with my requested king sized bed. Which was great. What I didn't expect was the second bed, a single, in the room as well. Basically one sits on the single bed to brush their teeth because it sits so close to the room's sink. I wondered why a boutique hotel would have smallish rooms that basically can sleep three. (It had the feel of a very very nice guest house/hostel in a way.) I personally, as a single traveler, would have much preferred a small couch over the second small bed, which made the room feel a bit cramped.

All-in-all I enjoyed my stay a La Rose. In the future I will probably stay closer to the river on my next trip to PP though. For me the added cost was not worth it.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Tom S
Newcastle, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 9, 2014

We stayed there for 2 days and it is a genuinely pleasant place to stay, the staff are very friendly and helpful and the hotel itself is in excellent condition. The rooms are small but perfectly acceptable and breakfast was cooked to order which makes a change from the usual poor buffets you get in hotels of this size.

There are no real downsides to the hotel however there is nothing really outstanding where you would warrant giving it an Excellent but I wouldn't hesitate to give it a very good.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 3, 2014

The staff, rooms and breakfast ensure that this hotel stands out from the crowd.

Super friendly and helpful staff ensure the best experience at this hotel. The rooms are clean and tidy, we had an enormous bathroom shower and bath.

The breakfast is very good - both western and Khmer style food - the Khmer Beef Noodle Curry is the best in town [and I had a few!]. We ate xmas dinner here and at $40 per head is pricey for the area - but then most of that was for wine. It was good value for money.

The only negative point is the location - nothing else in this area so you'll be taking a lot of $3 tuk-tuk rides into town and back. The hotel has its own tuk-tuks so getting one is easy. Not all the riders know the way back, so take a card and a map!

The hotel shares a pool with another hotel about 5 mins away by free-tuk-tuk. We went once - very small.

The hotel specialise in Spa, and although I did not have one they looked good - albeit pricey. You can get a free one if you do a review on trip-advisor.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed December 30, 2013

La Rose boutique hotel is a very charming, quiet hotel in the centre of Phnom Penh. The rooms are big and modern. It has an excellent restaurant and the staff is very attentive and kind. We very much enjoyed staying there, a little paradise in the midst of a busy city and would definitely go back on our next visit to Phnom Penh.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Beijing, China
Reviewed December 26, 2013

We have just had a wonderful stay at this hotel. We booked it directly with the hotel and were very pleased with it. From the moment we booked it till the moment we were dropped to the airport, our experiences were very positive and could not have asked for anything more. We communicated with the hotel about airport picked up and all the ground services arrangement for our whole stay in Cambodia. Everything was taken care of as promised and more. The staff were exceptionally helpful. Amazing design, ambiance, elegant stylish room with high ceilings and the lovely decoration. All great standard with perfect service.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family