“Well positioned & great Value”

The Frangipani Living Arts Hotel & Spa
Ranked #40 of 269 Hotels in Phnom Penh
Sydney, Australia
“Well positioned & great Value”
Reviewed May 18, 2013

I was in Phnom Penh for a week of work and was put up here for 5 nights in total. The Breakfast was the best part of the stay, good strong coffee (Flat White) and fresh papaya and mango followed by a chef cooked omelet.

The rooms are spread over 12 floors and the hotel is still doing some finishing touches. Overall the staff were fantastic, especially the front desk staff. Free water is provided in the rooms and the air con works very well on 38 degree days.

Definitely a good hotel for working in Phnom Penh, I'll be back !

Room Tip: Higher floors are quieter in the morning
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Vietnamese first
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed May 14, 2013

I stayed one night and checked out early. I'm basing this review on the price which is nearly triple what you would normally pay in Cambodia ... so the bar is high.

The staff were polite and trained well. That was the only good thing about this place and the only reason it got 2/5.

They claim this is a higher end hotel but the construction and decor looks cheap and sloppy. The location is terrible! The hotel is built near an open sewer system and they drive the smell out of the rooms with overpowering lemongrass oil. There is nothing to do in the area at night and you have to walk 10 minutes down a dark street to get to any restaurant.

The ceiling in the bathroom was crawling with weird bugs that only disappeared when I put the jar of lemongrass oil in there. I don't know what's in that stuff but it's no wonder I had a headache. They advertised a rooftop pool which is one of the reasons I chose to stay there but it was still under construction. Speaking of construction, I was woken up at 7am by the construction outside my window. They didn't advertise that.

I left that morning and found a place that was twice as good for half the price. I've also been back to Phnom Penh and found other amazing places. You can too. This one is an embarrassment to the city.

Room Tip: Yeah, don't go here! If you do, check the ceiling for bugs and look out the window of your room...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Bangkok
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Normally stay at another hotel in PP, through a mix up in bookings we booked into this hotel based on Tripadvisor reviews. Check-in and the welcome was very nice and pleasant, the staff at check-in were very helpful, couldn't fault their professionalism. The reception area had a nice airy and open feel to it and we were comfortable we had made a good choice.

The room was nothing short of a dog box, this was the "Deluxe" room. Beds were small and uncomfortable. Lighting was just terrible, poor lighting recessed around the ceiling edges and nothing in the centre of the room, the window let in no light as it was faced onto what was a nearly enclosed balcony. The finishes were of very poor standard and quality. Doors fitted poorly, the room door lock was a simply push button lock (no real security) and on the outside hallway the door knob was not fitted correctly. We were not comfortable leaving anything in the room as security was definitely and issue.

The TV was no bigger than maybe a computer monitor and very few channels were tuned in so they were watchable. Hanging space for clothes is limited to two hooks on the wall, there is no closet / wardrobe.

Construction is still going on in this building and we had banging and clanging above our floor going on until after 8 pm at night.

On arrival, we discovered after lifting the toilet seat up that the toilet was soiled. DISGUSTING!!! After calling reception and asking for someone to come and clean the toilet we waited 40 minutes before calling again only to get a rude staff member telling us that they were on their way and we would have to wait. Maybe about 5 or 10 minutes later House Keeping Manager and a staff member arrived and went to the toilet and closed the door and made an attempt to clean the mess. Whilst they did clean the majority off, it certainly was not a quality clean they pulled off.

Obviously we were not impressed beyond the welcome.

We went to breakfast the next morning, the first thing we noticed was the number of flies and bugs crawling all over the tables, glasses and cutlery. We opted for a table with the least number of infectious bugs. The server was no better with serving staff standing around the food watching flies crawl over pork, beef, fruit, cakes, cereal and anything else that was exposed. The food that was protected in serving dishes was limited and mostly out of stock.

It was at that point we decided that we had made a grave error and wanted to leave and find another hotel. We packed and went to check out. We explained why we were leaving early and an aggressive argumentative clerk wanted to make us pay for an extra night for leaving early and then also pay for the "complimentary" airport transfer (not a nice car or van but a small bus for only two people - the charge USD 15, most hotels charging only USD 10); I was not going to pay for an extra night, whilst not happy with the transfer charge I would pay it just to get away from this hotel.

Eventually the General Manager (Kem Phearom) came and he was one of the nicest people I have met. He was very pleasant and helpful and very apologetic about what had happened. He instructed his staff not to charge the extra night. When they pushed for the transfer charge he stepped in again and told them to stop this also. He is a credit to the hotel and should the hotel be completed and I feel that they have improved the quality of their product for his actions and attitude alone I would give the hotel another chance.

If not for the General Manager I would rate the hotel as absolutely terrible.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank MG22Bangkok
Phnom Penh
Reviewed April 5, 2013

A sudden impulse as the final surprise of a birthday celebration: an overnight stay in a new hotel situated in an area of Phnom Penh that offers - already now but more to come in years ahead - an interesting, exiting and far more 'local' alternative to BKK1 and Riverfront, still within reach of these areas in a tuk-tuk, if you are not inclined to explore the area around the Russian Market and get full value of the deeper pulse of the Cambodian capital with all its facets.
The hotel is a landmark in itself with 12 storeys of white sticking up in surroundings that will only challenge adventurous, patient individuals and give in return a far better experience of being away from the 'middle of the road' situation where you in the worst cases are being dragged around in herds of 10 - 20 tourists.
Booking a room via the Internet offered very attractive rates. Arrival at the hotel was smooth as far as formalities go combined with an extremely friendly, helpful and hospitable staff, and let's not forget the welcome drink. Interior design and what comes with that aspect added another lift to the whole experience. And the room fully lived up to that: shining clean and interesting in its decor with all 'the trimmings' and a very nice view of the pool down below.
After relaxing most of the afternoon a growing appetite led to the restaurant - a well composed menu and a pre-dinner drink. On the suggestion from the waiter dinner was served by the pool side. A smashing experience, nice and quiet and yet a feeling of being 'part of it all' while enjoying delicious food.
Breakfast the next morning meant a fantastic buffet with delicious Khmer and Western choices.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank HenrikO973
Sandefjord, Norway
Reviewed March 31, 2013

The hotel might not be in the middle of the city center itself, or nearby the riverside. But located in a relatively quiet area of Phnom Penh, this hotel made a good base for my stay in Phnom Penh. A clean hotel with a very friendly and helpful staff, doing whatever they could to make me feel at home. Also providing excellent service helping me planning and book a trip to other parts of the country. The restaurant was a little too expensive compared to other options nearby, and as some already have commented, I did miss closets and storage options for clothes in my room. But other than that, a good stay with a very warm, helpful and service minded staff.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Kjell R S
San Diego, California
Reviewed March 23, 2013

Pls note, this hotel is relatively new and had not reach completion at the time of my stay in Feb/Mar 2013. Originally placed at this hotel due to the group I was traveling with and elected to add on a couple of days stay on my own for convenience sake. Being relatively new, the hotel is lovely and modern looking. There is a bar/restaurant also which was decent the one time I had dinner there. The one open pool (a rarity) that was available, is enclosed by surrounding tall buildings so not much sun but it is still pretty nice to lounge around. The large rooms are meant to be up to US type like standards with plush clean towels, robes, soap/shampoo/hair dryer/toothbrushes/shower cap/tissues/Q tips, coffee/tea, electric teapot, dorm refrigerator, AC. The rooms again, are modern and clean. The first first room we stayed in had a small safe (which technically you could lift and walk away with) to store your documents/money but this was not available in our 2nd room. I did note a few tiny ants scouting around the sink/table in the 2nd room in which we stayed.

I didn't care for the small window openings in the bathrooms which brought up the concern of mosquitoes by my friends. Also, the small vertical window in the bathroom door was a minor inconvenience when you're rooming with someone other than a significant other. I taped paper over that window to allow more privacy with bathroom use.

Generally speaking, the staff was very polite and friendly and English was adequate enough to communicate. Staff was attentive and greeted most everyone and noted especially attentive to the older white male visitors. Also, on the first night we stayed there, I asked for some specific places to eat for dinner but all the information provided to me was that there were some noodle places up and down the street. Maybe there was something lost in translation but any hooo, we managed to find cheap eats on our own down a block on the corner. Turns out there was a nice noodle house practically next door going in the opposite direction. If only the front desk could have been more specific.

I enjoyed the included breakfast buffet which included fresh fruits, noodle soup, omelets cooked to order, and pastries.

Location of the hotel is conveniently within walking distance of the Russian market where you can stock up on souvenirs. Also, One Day Spa and Salon is just around the corner for massages, pedicures, etc. Otherwise, to get to the main tourist sites of the city, you'll probably have to depend on the tuk tuk or some other mode of transportation.

I was excited to read on the hotel's website that it has a rooftop lounge, fitness center, and a 2nd pool so decided to go exploring, only to find out these have not been completed yet. Actually, I finally realized why I kept hearing so much building noises during the day--construction on the upper levels.

I was informed that the standard rate for a double room is $110/night when I extended my stay but that I was receiving a discount for about half that price. Yes, what's been completed thus far on the hotel is very nice but I do not believe it's worth the "standard rate" for Cambodia. I don't know how they can justify this rate especially given that the hotel is still incomplete. I've found and stayed at other lodgings in Phnom Penh for much less than that of the standard rate at Frangipani with just as equally good customer service, more convenient locations, and clean rooms minus all the unnecessary extras. In summary, it's a nice hotel with a lot of western conveniences in Cambodia but probably still not worth the standard room rate as I had been informed on my visit.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank hammygal
Siem Reap
Reviewed March 12, 2013

I can't even express the feeling with what they have been helping us from begin until the end. They have sent their staff to pick us up in Phnom Penh even we have lost the location and all the management team were very warm welcome during we arrived to the hotel together with the welcome drink. We felt as home during our stay with their hospitality and from the friendliness staff.
In term of hotel facilities, I would highly recommended the Franginpani Living Arts Hotel & Spa as the best place to stay with well hospitality.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business