“Tourisme and Development”

Mekong Quilts Phnom Penh
Ranked #7 of 86 Shopping in Phnom Penh
More attraction details
Owner description: Mekong Quilts specialises in high quality, hand made quilts and accessories. There are a variety of quilts to choose from featuring different colours and themes, ranging from contemporary to Asian-Inspired design. Mekong Quilts also accepts custom orderes, ensuring unique product to suit any home. International Shipping is available.
Reviewed August 5, 2013

It is always difficult to mix development and tourism. Yet, some NGO can do it quite well. I like the way Mekong Quilts is improving the lifes of women ... and the quality of their products.
I may not be able to buy all their products because of my revenues.
But I like their attitudes towards rural communities and how they can make it looks like a social
Differents products, such as quilts of course, but also baskets, and their very special Bamboo Bicycle... So cute !!!

2  Thank walkowiak j
All reviews
"bought several"
in 3 reviews
in 5 reviews
in 12 reviews

Reviewed April 20, 2013

I had read about Mekong Quilts before our trip to Cambodia and Vietnam but didn't get to visit a shop until our last few days of our trip in Hanoi. Our guide was not too happy to stop to let us browse in the shop telling us that they weren't hand made at all but machine made and were very expensive. After our tour had finished we made our way back to the shop in the Old Quarter from our hotel (with a great deal of difficulty as we didn't have directions and were following the 'map' inside my head!). It was well worth the return trip as we were able to select a beautiful cot-sized quilt for our new grandson. The quilts are beautiful, of very high quality and are hand made. To be helping these women earn a decent living is also very satisfying. The price is so reasonable for such a beautiful piece of work and to know that they are quite unique makes them all the more special. They could definitely become family heirlooms. Since I had only bought a cot-sized quilt I was able to take it home in my carry-on bag. Just wish I had more grandchildren to buy quilts for!! There is an on-line shop - www.mekong-quilts.org Well worth a visit!

4  Thank G0_Eagles
Reviewed February 15, 2013

We had a wonderful time browsing and choosing two quilts in their lovely shop in Phnom Penh.
Meng Keang was very patient! Purchase and organising transport to us in France was quick and easy and a VERY well-wrapped parcel arrived within 5 days! If you are looking for beautiful quilts in gorgeous patterns and colours, at amazingly reasonable prices, you can't go wrong here. And you will be supporting an enterprise which 'generates employment for women' and 'supports community development programmes in remote villages om Cambodia and Vietnam'. If you can't get to that part of the world just go on line and choose and buy there!

1  Thank Jane C
Reviewed February 1, 2013

We purchased two quilts from the Hanoi shop in November 2012. The staff were very friendly and helpful, as we deliberated over colors, size and design! Finally choosing, we asked for one to be sent to Australia, and one to NZ, on different dates. As they seemed to take a very long time to arrive, my e-mail requests to Lan resulted in her tracing both quilts to the respective countries, and they arrived shortly after without incident. Thank you so much for your helpfulness. The quilts are quite frankly stunning!