“Great location for TOURIST SPOTS”

One Up - Banana Hotel
Ranked #1 of 335 Phnom Penh B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 16, 2013

I have booked this hotel in Agoda.com with a very good rates. They arranged an airport pick-up for me which is USD$12 per way (not bad if you want to have a convenient journey to the hotel). After almost 1 hour (due to traffic) I arrived in the hotel.

The hotel is 1-2mins. walk going inside from the main road and there is a construction going on nearby but that's okay...As I arrived in their hotel, there's another guests so, have to wait a little while. But, they did their best to accomodate me as the previous guest I saw have a lot of inquiries.

The room they have given me is right at the back of the reception (level 1). The room is spacious, clean and shower bathroom. The room has big bed, LCD with cable, fridge and complimentary 2 bottled water, coffee and tea. From your room, you cannot hear loud voices, as they keep it quiet.

The next morning, I decided to go to Royal Palace, Silver Pagoda, Independence Monument and Wat Langka...to my surprise, only 5-10 walk to mentioned places. But, On the way to Royal Palace, I ride a motorcycle for only USD$1. What a great location of the hotel. I'm a keen Photographer so, I really like that.

The food can be directly ordered to nearby food bar (Banana Bar) which is around USD$4-10, depending on food you like but there's a lot of coffee shops, and restaus nearby. And, there's a nearby spa that I had a massage for USD$12 for a hour which is really good.

All in all, I had a GOOD stay in this hotel, and I am so recommending this.

Note: The Top Floor (Penthouse) has a very good view...you can see the Indepedence Monument with Light at night which is very nice.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank vinatraveler
Heng S, Owner at One Up - Banana Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2013

Thanks for leaving us this review, its very informative and helpful, we find most guests have a positive experience reaching tourist spots, city highlight and great food+ nightlife. I would like to mention that the lowest available rates are direct from our website, and to check their for deals not available on other websites. We appreciate your recommendation and hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed February 15, 2013

We loved our stay here at One Up Banana. The staff were so friendly and helpful - we were welcomed with a lovely lemon juice.

The room was clean and so comfortable and the internet was very quick. I managed to skype with my family in the UK for 2 hours with uninterrupted video!

Thanks for such a great stay - we will be back!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank ECJones87

Thanks for reviewing One Up, we have excellent internet and multiple routers to make sure signal strength stays strong for all guests, I'm happy you had a positive experience with us and I hope you will visit again!

Reviewed February 13, 2013

Staff was super-friendly, room was clean and comfy, everything worked very well (aircon, wifi, tv, water,...). Location is good, 1-2$ tuk-tuk ride from the center, but with a lot of food options steps away as well. It is also at the end of an alley, so a lot quieter than being on the main road. Only down side is maybe the room we had had a little bit of a strange configuration and only had a tiny window.

3  Thank Foodie_errant

Thanks for reviewing our hotel! Our hotel is great for first time visitors because of our location and dedication to helping our guests, thank you for the feedback.

Reviewed February 1, 2013

We are a couple currently travelling around South East Asia and Australia.

Hotel is located down an alleyway, a good 10-15 minute walk from the palace but a tuk tuk is always around the corner if your feeling a little lazy! Good restaurants and a few bars located nearby suitable for couples and those who enjoy the relaxed vibe.

When we stayed here there was building works next to the hotel, but this was not a problem as we were out exploring during the day and they finished at a reasonable hour.

Our hotel room was situated on top of the roof, at the beginning it had a funny smell so i dont think the room was properly aired before we arrived and unfortunatley the sheets were stained. However the room was spacious, had good wifi connection and nice western style bathroom. Breakfast was really good, would have loved to see some local brekkie options though.

Service was always friendly but you could tell that this hotel is a new operation. Was a little bit difficult to communicate with the staff sometimes, but this is neither there fault as we are in there country and should make the effort to speak more khmer.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Louise657

Thanks so much for reviewing us! The hotel is a new operation and even though service is our top priority there can sometimes be things lost in translation. Our staff are always working on improving their English Language skills and we have worked hard to earn our position on TripAdvisor through a focus on service. We really appreciate your thoughtful review and your understanding and cultural sensitivity, thanks again.

Reviewed January 28, 2013

I spent the month of January 2013 at One Up and have only praise for the staff and setting.

I had the smallest room, which contained a queen sized platform bed, wardrobe, small desk, chair, fridge, sink and cabinets in the main room and a small attached bath. There was a full sized window so the room was bright and cheerful. I have seen the balcony rooms and the rooftops rooms and if you want to splurge go for it, they are bigger and very nice. But my room served the purpose and was great.

The rooms are immaculately clean. The rooftop terrace has fantastic views of Wat Langka and the Independence Monument lit up at night.

Location is nice, 1 easy block from St178 with great restaurants, and a short walk from the grocery store, and all sorts of shopping. Away from the touristy, party spots around the river and a bit more upscale. I felt totally safe walking home at 11:00 at night. Anywhere you want to go in town is a short $2 Tuk-Tuk ride away, but I often walked places in the mornings.

Finally, the staff. What can I say? They are helpful, accommodating, genuinely nice. After a month I ended up as a facebook friend and wedding guest because if you hang out here long enough you are family. WL, SS, RA (Thanks!)

If you can get a room, grab it. They are often full.

Room Tip: If you want luxury go for the rooftop or higher balcony rooms. They are all fine clean and quiet as...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank amymeri

Thank you so much, this review is personal and well said. I also greatly appreciate you posting some photos for us! We want our guests to become part of the One Up family and guests like you who take the time to get to know our team, make our community awesome. We cannot thank you enough, we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

Booked the rooftop room well worth the extra few pounds a night as the roof garden lovely as got breakfast and a free bottle of nice wine, a real treat in SE Asia.

Very clean, great location and staff all seem to want to go the extra mile.

Wee bit hard to find initially as sign down the alley quite small and most tuk tuks don't know it but just ask for corner of 288 and 51

4  Thank Rich H

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review, sorry you had some trouble finding us, we are down a quiet alleyway and if any future guest has an issue finding us please call for directions and we can help. Thanks again, come back soon!

Reviewed January 21, 2013

We booked this hotel as we wanted our last 3 nights to be special. We had room 12 the top penthouse with terrace. Let me first highlight the goods:
* great clean room
* nice terrace
* fantastic walk in shower
* nice welcome drink

However the minussus overshadowed this partly:
* extremely slow internet- slowest of our complete trip while being in most expensive hotel
* they forgot to clean our room at the first day: no towels
* they do not know what they sell: in the descripion it said that breakfast and around 100 movies were included. They wanted to charge us for it
* they do not know what they sell 2: in the description it said: every day free fruit in the room. Never received this. When i asked them for it and i showed the booking they guy told us he did not know
* they do not know what they sell 3: description says that upon arrival you will receive usb with 100 movies. However it were only 15 all unknown titles
* continental breakfast is a disgrace. It says: orange juice, fruit, croissant and pastry. In reality it is little fruit, 1 croissant, no pastry and juice in a 200ml carton box. The one you give with your children to school.
* we booked day tour with them. They forgot it. Then when they suddenly and kindly arranged something agter they found out, the newley aranged tour was 25% more expensive.
* maybe something personal: the receptionist kept calling us ' brother an sister'. It made me feel uncomfortable. Again- can be me.

after all we were highly disappointed and will book a cheap backpackers hotel next time

2  Thank Annika T
William L, General Manager at One Up - Banana Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2013

I'd like to start by thanking you for your feedback, I appreciate the time you have taken to communicate these issues to me and I'm very sorry that you did not find your stay with us to be all that you wanted. I’m surprised to hear of internet connectivity issues since our hotel has 3 megabits normally, it goes up to 6 megabits between 6pm and midnight on weekdays, and all day on weekends to make up for increased traffic, ensuring all our guests get internet. Our hotel offers long term stay, and several of our guests require solid internet to stay with us and make a living. I’m unsure as to why you had these issues when our other guests do not, but we would have been happy to attempt resolving it for you, had you mentioned the issue to us. We did not intend to misrepresent our rooms on one of our Online Booking systems, our attention has been drawn to this error and we have already taken the steps to fix it. All our continental breakfasts do come with either a lemon tart or passion tart, which I’m sorry that you were unhappy with. Our hotel does have other breakfast and dining options readily available. It’s upsetting to us that you have had trouble with your tour booking, and although I have no record of the original booking request, a 25% increase in price is unacceptable to us and not the policy of our hotel. All our tours are now going on standard rates which are posted in our lobby; these rates do not change as they are packaged. An increased rate could come about from requesting an additional service or destination. I encourage any future guest who encounters any similar situation to contact our staff or management as we will resolve the issue immediately. We are in Phnom Penh, Cambodia, and besides myself, all the hotel’s staff/management & ownership are Khmer (Cambodians). In Cambodian culture, when people refer to others as sister or brother they mean it as a show of respect. My apologies, our staff did not mean to make you feel uncomfortable, they were just being Cambodian. .