“Great location, spacious rooms and friendly stafff”

Golden River Palace Guesthouse
Ranked #153 of 321 Phnom Penh B&B and Inns
“Great location, spacious rooms and friendly stafff”
Reviewed October 17, 2013 via mobile

I stayed for 3 nights, a friend of mine has been here before and she was right: next to a market and close to all touristic attractions, this sure is one of the best guesthouses in Phnom Penh. No bar, no restaurant, so of you want to meet backpackers you neef to go out. Especially the rooms at the back (I stayed in #301) are quiet. No view at all, but I don't need one since I only stayed in my room at night. Room came with a cooler and a tv.

En speciaal voor de Hollanders die dit lezen: prijzen zijn onderhandelbaar. Hij begon bij dertig dollar, maar toen ik zei max 10 te willen betalen was dit ok. Kwam ook deels doordat het guesthouse niet vol zat.

Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Jan-Ynze v

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Phnom Penh
Reviewed October 11, 2013

The manager was very helpful and his English was very good. The staff person that I met was eager to please, but his English was very limited. My room, 201, was very clean. I agree with the other posts about the carpet, but I wore socks for a period of time and they remained clean suggesting that the floor was just stained. While the outside windows and doors were barred, my room had curtains so I just left those closed. The hotel is within walking distance to the riverfront and many attractions. I did hear evening and morning "street" noise as those living around the hotel went about their evenings and morning activities.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Hanoi, Vietnam
Reviewed October 5, 2013

I have booked this place with my boyfriend for 3 nights, but we checked out by first night, even though we arrived very late in night from Laos and have paid through hotels.com up front. First of all the room was very dirty, hair and dust everywhere and spider nets hanging from the ceiling, coffe cups were dirty. We got one towel and no toilet paper. The room was on the same floor as reception so when we opened the door we could see some dirty sink and probably cleaning staffs spot for towels and dirty bed sheets.
The view from window- or rather what could we see between the bars- was wall and some dark corner with garbage and im guessing by the noise- rats- cos i hope that the noise we heard in the night was coming form the garbage outside and not inside of our room...
Together with window there were also doors with bars, all going out to the garbage and even pieces of toilet paper were pushed in between doors and bars and walls... horrible! It was so noisy already vefore 5am we barely could sleep, which actually was the only thing we wanted to do after 17h bus trip from laos...
Our first aim when we woke up was to look for another place around the city, on our way out person standing in reception asked how we like the room and we said we don't like it and we proceed to go out when he said that he can give us different room upstaira. That made me so angry- how can you give such an aweful, dirty and noisy room to someone at first place, knowing that they booked and paid for 3 nights in front and also having another room to offer, which I assume was better and still- offering the worst one when they arrive? This amount of disrespect and bad service was a nail to coffin- within 15min we found a perfect hotel for us just behind the corner.
I do not wish anyone such an unpleasant stay and I cannot understand how this place can have such a high score on tripadvisor - which was the main reason why we chose to stay in it. This is the second 'terrible' review this hotel is getting on tripadvisor, the first one was rudely commented by manager, so to back my review I am posting pictures from the room that proves its poor condition.

Room Tip: not on the ground floor.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Kasibona D, Manager at Golden River Palace Guesthouse, responded to this review, October 6, 2013
Thanks for your review. You did not meet me on that night as you come so late at night time around 12-1am. My new staff provides you that room as other rooms are full. Normally, we clean and collect rubbish at the back of our hotel every morning whenever this room is available. Most of people at the back are uneducated and poor. They throw rubbish whenever they finish it. We have other rooms clean and comfortable available. If all our rooms are so bad as what you have mentioned, our previous customers won't write good reviews. I met you on the following day and I even offered you any room you like as they are available on that day. I appreciate what you have responded me on that day. Only minority customers are selfish. Don't mention about the worst previous reviewer. He is exactly a cheater and he does want to cheat my staff just for little money. He wrote a bad review cuz I called the driver to ask him to pay back. He even has mentioned on the third day that he did love the room and location here so much. He would write a good review on tripadvisor. Everybody could contact him on tripadvisor if it is fact or not. Your review does affect our business. However, I do thank for your time for reviewing our hotel. Bye :)

Travelers are raving about these Phnom Penh hotels

Sydney
Reviewed August 15, 2013

The staff and very friendly and accommodating, especially taking your luggage up the flights of stairs (yes stairs, so if you're staying above the first or second floor - prepare yourself for a leg workout). We received a free upgrade for the first few nights and changed to our original booked room halfway through our stay (not annoying because our luggage was moved for us once we packed). Air con and bedding was good, bathroom was 'open plan' but we didn't have any problems with it. Great location, right near the Riverfront which is pretty central to cafes/restaurants and anywhere you couldn't walk to, a tuk tuk will take you there for a very reasonable price and wait around for you to take you back. We were able to sleep better than what we though we would considering the location. Laundry isn't done on site but staff are happy to take it out for you to have it done. If you don't bring high expectations with you like we did then it's fine!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Praia, Cape Verde
Reviewed July 28, 2013

The staff are awesome. They are incredibly kind and helpful. They treated my son so very kindly. The hotel is in the "Riverside" area of Phnom Penh, so it was very convenient to sight see. However, while the price was reasonable, it wasn't great value. The bathroom could use a shower curtain or stall. We didn't receive any maid service in our three days. We had a big pile of garbage outside our door. Our towels were nasty after the second day.They need to rip out the carpet and put in linoleum floors. If you want a good location and a kind staff, this is your place. If you are a clean freak, avoid!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 19, 2013

After travelling in Vietnam for 4 weeks we had experienced a wide variety of hotels and didn't necessarily have the highest expectations regarding hotels. The golden river palace proved to be the worst hotel experience I have had for a long long time. The price at $30 per room is in no way justified. The staff service was non existent and our room was not cleaned once after 3 nights. We were also undercharged by an employee and later received a phone call demanding $4 or the police would be called despite us insisting this error was not our fault. To top it all off there was no hot water and despite our enquiries (and being assured it would be fixed) nothing transpired. Overall there are far far better options for your money and we were very happy to see the back of the the Golden River Palace.

• Stayed July 2013
Goldenriverpala... G, Manager at Golden River Palace Guesthouse, responded to this review, July 20, 2013
Thanks for your review. Honestly, I have never ever met customers from Europe like you. You called me to book a room with two KING size beds with the price of 30. When you came, I offered you superior deluxe TRIPLE room(45$) with the same price. You were so happy and also knew price. How come you did NOT you know the price for three days? Even a child, he also could calculate it. You have intention to NOT to pay us in full. For cleaning the room, I would like to let you know that you stayed in the room all day. I even knocked the door but you all was still sleeping. How come you said like this? We always asking you: the room is okay? You always say good. You all have to paid 3.5$ per person more but you insisted and paid only 3$. I never EVER seen customers from Europe who betrayed their willingness because of NOT wanting to pay the room. I would like to ask you again: DO YOU KNOW THAT THREE NIGHTS COSTS 90$ SINCE YOU KNEW AND ACCEPTED 30$ PER NIGHTS? I recommend all hotels and other restaurants or even bus and air ticket sellers to be SO careful with you and charge you immediately. Please don't don't agree with them if they request you all pay me you later as these customers will get angry and write a bad review about us. If our room is so bad like this, they WON'T stay here for three night. They will check out immediately after ONE night staying here. They BETRAYED their willingness because of little money.
London
Reviewed July 18, 2013

Pros - good location and friendly staff. Ok price
Cons - room smelt of smoke. Room half tiled and then had a weird iron bar/prison type door. Bathroom and fridge in separate annex room. Carpeted floor. not that clean. Bathroom didn't appear to have been cleaned, there was what looked like a urine stain on toilet seat.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple