“Chicken!”
Review of The Boston restaurant - CLOSED

The Boston restaurant
Cuisines: Cambodian, International
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Friendly family-run restaurant serving traditional Cambodian as well as western food. Great music, fantastic atmosphere, centrally located on popular street 172.Special drinks including Mojito and Rum and Passion fruit, Chat'n Chew, and other cocktails.
Reviewed February 9, 2014

They will do what you need and more, just ask. All the chicken is great and some people rave about steak.

2  Thank critical_travelings

Reviewed December 20, 2013 via mobile

I've read some of the reviews and some are saying that they had a bad experience with the food or the staff, I guess Chat and Chew suffers from some inconsistency across the menu as well as the service. My personal experience was exceptional however. I went after reading a "great beef Wellington review" and had nothing but eyes for that specifically. My friend had a full English which looked fairly average but not bad for $5. I ordered the Beef Wellington.

I ordered it medium rare, which it was, perfect. The pastry was slightly crisp on the outside but nice and heavily moist on the inside (which is just how I like it) it was stuffed with mushrooms and bacon which compliment if beautifully. I opted for the peppercorn sauce out of the choice's, it could have been a bit more "peppery" but I ordered some mustard to help pep it up a bit.

The vegetables were very crunchy, probably had barely a minute in the pan- once again, just how I like them. The mash was a good consistency but could have done with a bit more salt and or creme/ milk. There were also a few new potatoes for good measure. All in all it was incredible for a mere $9.75. The quality and cook of the beef fillet alone deserves 5 stars. Yes the sauce could do with a tweak, as could the mash, but really, I couldn't have expected something this good in the middle of Cambodia for under $10. Maybe the other food isn't that great, but if you fancy a beef Wellington, I'm fully recommending this as a great option.

For the record, the staff were very friendly and smiley throughout our time as well.

Thanks

2  Thank PorkchopJim
Reviewed November 3, 2013

I think this is one of those places where you're looking for an amazing ambiance you can skip. It's on a backpacker street and priced accordingly. The difference is the quality and taste of the food which of the 5-6 dishes I have tried (I've been there more often but stick to favorites.) I recommend their Chicken Cordon Blue $6 or their "Chat n Chew" Pasta with penne $4. It's ridiculous to give a bad rating just to counterbalance the good ones. That assumes people don't read, and I think most people read. So if you're reading this review, please don't expect an immaculate atmosphere and staff worthy of $20 dishes, but do expect reasonably good service, the more than occasional loud expat, but really quality dishes with portion sizes that will leave you more than full and satisfied.

2  Thank crismasters22
Reviewed September 13, 2013

A couple of unconnected friends have recommended this place, so my wife and I decided to give it a try. Being on one of the backpacker streets that have sprung up in the last few years, I wasn't expecting too much. The walls are a collage of paintings and photographs, with Khmer boxing being the main focus of the photos. Not exactly the best choice for a restaurant. The service was friendly, and the prices keen. My wife and I both ordered the beef wellington, but with different cooking specifications and sides. They were both done perfectly to order. The only problem with them is that they were too big. They could easily reduce the portion sizes and they would still be great value at less than $10.

1  Thank RandomGuy23
Reviewed September 11, 2013

This place is overrated and yes, it seems there are an awful lot of "reviews" promoting this place. I tried the signature dish - Beef Wellington - quite average and the vegetables looked old. This place is owned by the same guys who run the Laughing Fatman - also on 172. Nice enough family but really - the food is average at best. The rating of one point is to balance out the many 5 star ratings.