“Absolutely Fantastic”

The Governors House Boutique Hotel Phnom Penh
Ranked #76 of 274 Hotels in Phnom Penh
Reviewed November 13, 2013

What a wonderful place. I regular stay in large business hotels, but having lived in Phnom Penh a few years ago, I really wanted to stay somewhere which embraces the heritage and beauty of the city. This place has both, with a passionate team of people looking after you and a wonderful setting in this wonderfully restored house. The front garden is still work in progress, so don't be put off when you arrive. The room I stayed in was compact but was comfy and clean. The food was nicely presented and very tasty. The bar looked very atmospheric but sadly I arrived too late to actually use it. It is a little out of the main area, so you will need to catch some form of transport to get to ther river, but Phnom Penh is so small, that this isn't really a hassle. I really recommend it as a lovely place to stay. And a great Tuk Tuk driver that you can hire through the hotel.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed November 1, 2013

This was a nice boutique hotel. Stayed 3 nights. Issues hot water/internet.
Pros: Very friendly owner, quiet, good breakfast, good decoration, colonial style.
Cons: Stairs to attic can be challenging, solar system faulty - therefore had cold showers 3 days I stayed, apparently issue not resolved for last 6 months and internet down quite often. Rooms did not have working plugs, and burnt out bulbs in lamp were not replaced, though next day that was rectified promptly. Still under growing pains
Comment: Really comfortable bed, stay on main,first or second floor, attic would mean climbing six floors and gets testing if you do it few times during the day.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jaymalr
Alain G, Owner at The Governors House Boutique Hotel Phnom Penh, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2013

Dear Mister Jay,
We acknowledge your posting on Trip Advisor and rest assured that your feedback is being addressed to the team. It was a great honor to have you as guest, especially the evening where we invited you on our boat for a unforgettable sunset on the Mekong.
Let me rectified some little details on your review: about the solar hot water, it's true that we having a issue with it since 6 days (and not 6 months) ; the thermostat failed and the installer had to order the piece in Malaysia. The system will run perfectly again within a few days. Until then the (hot) water is only 30 degrees. Concerning the internet in Cambodia : we just installed a brand new fiberglass connection of 14Mbps and all new german routers. But when we had on of this rare power cut, we need to reboot the routers. We can guarantee you that now the internet works perfect and smoothly.
For the rest It is a great pleasure for us to see that you enjoyed every aspect of our hospitality, our amenities and facilities.
We are looking forward on acommodating you again soon. And if you mind to climb 6 floors, be aware that The Governors House have only 3 floors.
Best Regards,

Reviewed October 25, 2013

Lovely boutique hotel, will excellent interior design and made all the more amazing but the friendly staff who are always keen to help. It is small and feels a bit like being in someone's home. It is very clean and has a collection of antiques worth looking at.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo

We are very happy that we made such a good impression on you. It is a great pleasure that you enjoyed your staying with us.

We are looking forward to accommodate you again soon.
Best regards.

Reviewed October 23, 2013

First impressions count and if there is one thing this quirky hotel should address, it is the front garden. A bit of landscaping and a mown lawn would make such a difference.
The reception and stairwell are beautiful.....shabby chic colonial style which we loved. The room was ok but the black 70's panelling let it down
Breakfast was one of the best I have had since we've been in SEAsia. The staff could not have been more friendly.
All in all, a little gem that could shine brilliantly with a bit more polish!
Our fab guide sok channak (sok_channak99@yahoo.com) was easy to understand and v informative and can sort out everything for trips to Cambodia. Raymond, our tuc tuc driver was organised by the hotel. He was a lovely young chap, so keen to do a good job and he deserves a recommendation .

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

First of all, let us thank you for reviewing The Governors House Boutique hotel Phnom Penh on Trip Advisor.

It is a great pleasure for us to see that you enjoyed our hospitality, our amenities and facilities.
Concerning the front garden, you must remember that the plans for a new italian open restaurant are undertaken so that our architect displayed the set up of it in the garden, so it was impossible for the gardener to cut the grass during this period. And above this the heavy rains make this delay even look worser. But the morning you left, the gardeners lawned the grass and everything looks wonderful again, so we are really sorry for this first impression of the garden.

It is our goal to make our customers relax in our beautiful environment of the rooms and the hotel.

We are looking forward to accommodating you again soon.

Thank you for choosing The Governors House.

Reviewed October 12, 2013

Just spend two nights in The Governor's House Colonial Hotel. Wonderful and refined decoration, full of charming antiques. All rooms are different and nicely decorated. Very friendly staff. Excellent kitchen. Small and peaceful pool much appreciated with the heat. I recommend the boat trip on the Mekong river at sunset organised by the hotel. We will come back for sure.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Charles D

We are looking forward to accommodate you again soon.

Best Regards,

Reviewed October 1, 2013

Yes the hotel is an amazing building with incredible decor and has the potential to be absolutely lovely in every way. However, there were a number of key points that let it down for us!
Firstly, there were renovations going on during our stay - there was no forewarning of this and would have impacted our decision to stay in the first place! When we first arrived, our room (the suite) had an overwhelming smell of paint fumes to the extent we had to vacate!
Secondly, renovation work on the adjacent room to ours began around 7am with drilling and hammering that made it impossible to enjoy a sleep in! We had just had a late night of birthday celebrations so this left us with around 4 hours sleep for the night!
Thirdly, and rather awkwardly our room was littered with what we can only assume were the personal belongings of the owner who obviously uses the suite as his private residence when it's not booked! Very awkward!!
Fourthly, the minibar was not operational in our room, not only was it not cold but it have off a rather pungent mouldy aroma!
And finally, one of the least forgivable issues we had during our stay was a cold shower, extremely extremely disappointing!
And to think we paid top dollar for all this! Will definitely not recommend to anyone based on our experience!

• Stayed: September 2013

As I was oversea for a family issue I need to check what happened in the hotel during my absence.
We will contact you directly as it relates to your experience at The Governors House and hope that we will have an opportunity to restore your confidence in our hotel.
Best regards,

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Hi...

Last night on 2nd September is my birthday and I go Governor's House to have a romantic birthday night with my husband.

The staff there very nice and friendly to me and they put rose flower on my bed and inside the Jaguzzi bath. Wow that wonderful.

Then i start to have fews drink and then my lovely meal.. wow I have to say that I never eat the chocolate cake delicious like this before. Every food I order there is absolute wonderful with swimming pool view .

I really love the room and all design around hotel very beautiful and quality.

Also I meet the owner Mr. Alain ... Wow he very friendly and very nice to us and he give me free 1 bottle of champagne for my birthday. (thank u so much sir for that sweet bottle)

And then I go swim with my husband and have a drink champagne together. I really enjoy my night there. Everything there is just perfect for me...

Thank u Governor's House for your excellent hospitality and I really love my night there

• Stayed: September 2013