“Beautifully decorated and quiet place in Phnom Penh”

The Governors House Boutique Hotel Phnom Penh
Ranked #80 of 274 Hotels in Phnom Penh
Reviewed October 12, 2013

Just spend two nights in The Governor's House Colonial Hotel. Wonderful and refined decoration, full of charming antiques. All rooms are different and nicely decorated. Very friendly staff. Excellent kitchen. Small and peaceful pool much appreciated with the heat. I recommend the boat trip on the Mekong river at sunset organised by the hotel. We will come back for sure.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Charles D
Alain G, Owner at The Governors House Boutique Hotel Phnom Penh, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2013

We are very happy that we made such a good impression on you. It is a great pleasure that you enjoyed your staying with us.

We are looking forward to accommodate you again soon.

Best Regards,

Reviewed October 1, 2013

Yes the hotel is an amazing building with incredible decor and has the potential to be absolutely lovely in every way. However, there were a number of key points that let it down for us!
Firstly, there were renovations going on during our stay - there was no forewarning of this and would have impacted our decision to stay in the first place! When we first arrived, our room (the suite) had an overwhelming smell of paint fumes to the extent we had to vacate!
Secondly, renovation work on the adjacent room to ours began around 7am with drilling and hammering that made it impossible to enjoy a sleep in! We had just had a late night of birthday celebrations so this left us with around 4 hours sleep for the night!
Thirdly, and rather awkwardly our room was littered with what we can only assume were the personal belongings of the owner who obviously uses the suite as his private residence when it's not booked! Very awkward!!
Fourthly, the minibar was not operational in our room, not only was it not cold but it have off a rather pungent mouldy aroma!
And finally, one of the least forgivable issues we had during our stay was a cold shower, extremely extremely disappointing!
And to think we paid top dollar for all this! Will definitely not recommend to anyone based on our experience!

• Stayed: September 2013

We acknowledge your posting on Trip Advisor and rest assured that your feedback is being addressed to the team.
As I was oversea for a family issue I need to check what happened in the hotel during my absence.
We will contact you directly as it relates to your experience at The Governors House and hope that we will have an opportunity to restore your confidence in our hotel.
Best regards,

Hi...

Last night on 2nd September is my birthday and I go Governor's House to have a romantic birthday night with my husband.

The staff there very nice and friendly to me and they put rose flower on my bed and inside the Jaguzzi bath. Wow that wonderful.

Then i start to have fews drink and then my lovely meal.. wow I have to say that I never eat the chocolate cake delicious like this before. Every food I order there is absolute wonderful with swimming pool view .

I really love the room and all design around hotel very beautiful and quality.

Also I meet the owner Mr. Alain ... Wow he very friendly and very nice to us and he give me free 1 bottle of champagne for my birthday. (thank u so much sir for that sweet bottle)

And then I go swim with my husband and have a drink champagne together. I really enjoy my night there. Everything there is just perfect for me...

Thank u Governor's House for your excellent hospitality and I really love my night there

• Stayed: September 2013
4  Thank kattaliya
Reviewed September 3, 2013

What a pleasure to find a truly boutique hotel with an owner who's cares about the guests and the experience he offers rather than just the run of the mill establishments,With friendly staff and fantastic antique furnature the place has a real colonial atmosphere,great food,I eat both Asian and european and a very good selection of wines..i'll be going back soon....Les Bone

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business

We are looking forward to accommodate you again soon.

Best Regard,

Reviewed September 3, 2013

The Belgian owner of this beautiful house in the heart of Phnom Penh has created a colonial style gem. Each room is different but exquisitely decorated and beautiful antiques are in abundance as you walk up the central staircase. The pool area outside is not huge but very pleasant.
The food is excellent; service is somewhat on the slow side and the staff is struggling a bit with foreign languages - both issues are quite common in Cambodia and the owner is working on improving this.

Room Tip: All the rooms are different - best to talk to someone
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 2, 2013

Looking for an exceptional place to stay while travelling
through Phnom Penh, Cambodia..? Seek no further,
give "the Governor's house" a go. The colonial atmosphere
welcoming you when entering (especially in the evening)
is unparallelled. Belgian owner Alain has created a cosy,
very personalised place : the (very) small scale boutique
hotel bursts with authentic antiques, every room has its
own name (Hemingway, of course..), old style opera music
floats through the lofty corridors. Wake up refreshed (yes,
aircon is provided), and enjoy the curated open air breakfast.
Tempted ? Try, you won't regret!
Luc - Belgium.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 2, 2013

We stayed in this hotel over Easter for a few days on our arrival in Phnom Penh and again when we left Cambodia. Both times we enjoyed our stay only somewhat feeling maybe we could've done better.

The building itself is a colonial style villa with nice veranda on the front, inside the rooms go around and up three floors making a high atrium and nice high cool ceiling and reception, lovely wooden floors and many antiques.

There is a nice sized lawn in the front with seating and umbrellas but the law hadn't been cut for awhile and it looked like there was a bit of a serious drainage problem as the grass was thin rank and tall and the ground soggy. Didn't inspire us to linger. Up stairs there is nice veranda and shade of a tree but its a bit unused and could do with nicer seating maybe a few loungers.

We were given the wrong room on arrival but that was no problem as they changed after about half an hour phoning as the "owner" wasn't in. The two at reception couldn't speak more than a word of English between them luckily a very efficient girl from Belgium came to our rescue. The room they tried giving us in the beginning was even smaller than the one we got but apparently it was one "class" up in the twelve room hierarchy for some reason, maybe it was the novelty of the bath in the middle of our small room.

The rooms themselves were disappointingly small for such a nice large supposed "French villa". I doubt this was originally so, so they must've squashed in extra rooms when converting the building to a guest house. Im not sure but it was very cramped in the rooms. The pictures of "beds" in the rooms in its advert are basically the whole room. We had a bath in our room as I said, there was no where else to put it as there was no bath room as such. Cluttered is putting it mildly, there were antiques in our room that were far to big or out of proportion many, the scale to the tiny room was completely out. Everything was but a nose hair away, the dressers and draws all quite honestly simply too large or the room, the room to small or both. Even we were too big for the room (not fat) ! The bath took up half the room.

Luckily we did have a balcony without it I would've gone mad. Small with a chair and table and a rather nice little splash of colour from some bougainvillaea on the corner but just that extra space to brush ones teeth, get dressed or put your shoes on without hitting ones head made a difference. Remember there were two of us in the room so we moved clock wise around the bed to avoid collision.

One other thing that took us by complete surprise, even though the bed itself was comfortable was that the linen had the texture of sacking and felt very scratchy on the skin and face. We felt this might be the norm in Cambodia where the majority make do with very little so we didn't complain.

Not really a hotel to spend any time in as a result though the pool was nice and for South East Asia also quite cool due to it being under a mango tree, little but so worth a pleasant dip on your return from sight seeing. Seating is limited to three couples or three singles, they may be sprayed with a fine mister hung above this is not optional.

The breakfast included was al la carte with a simple menu and was ok if not exactly sumptuous. Especially good were the fresh crispy baguette luckily they've had time to practise this in Cambodia since the French arrived back in 1863. The jams were not nice, homemade I feel and strangely greasy on the tongue, lacking any real flavour, too much gelatine maybe I dont know. Honey might be a better touch or Bonne Maman marmalade. Coffee was good but luke warm and half full of foam it was special order as it was cappuccino. Breakfast service was completely and absolutely charming!

There is not much more one can say about this tiny guest house. Would I stay there again? Probably not it was a bit too claustrophobic for us and besides I doubt we have much of a need to go back to Phnom Penh, Siam Riep would be a preferred destination in Cambodia we enjoyed it a lot more.

Room Tip: Ask for balcony rooms if you must stay
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple