“A pleasing experience”

The Frangipani Royal Palace Hotel
Ranked #33 of 281 Hotels in Phnom Penh
Reviewed August 10, 2013

Had a wonderful time at the Frangipani Royal Palace with tremendously helpful staff who were always trying to please. The room was clean and comfortable and overlooked the Museum and another grand set of buildings. The hotel is excellently located in the riverfront or old (central) part of the city. We were close to everything including some magnificent restaurants. Thanks for a great stay

Room Tip: Balcony room looking toward the Royal Palace and on the 4th-7th floor
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ProspectinOZ

Reviewed July 30, 2013

Heading back to this boutique hotel next month. I stayed at the Frangipani Royal Palace Hotel earlier this year and enjoyed it so much I kinda wanted to keep it to myself. But only fair to share. I have been to Phnom Penh lots of times during the past few years and stayed at $25 worries through to a Stalinesque hangover on the river. The Palace is by far the best value hotel in town. Situated on 178 Street, across the road from the Royal Palace/National Museum you are really central - around the corner and a safe walk from terrific restaurants, cafes, bars, and an easy Tut Tuk ride to the Russian and Central Markets, and wats. The room I stayed in last time was a total trip. It featured a glassed in bathroom and a really 'cool' layout - very different from the standard hotel room but uber likeable. OMG. A comfortable bed in Asia. The roof top pool and bar - a pool is something of a rarity in Phnom Penh but what bliss after a day walking around in the heat. It features extensive views of the Tonle Sap and Mekong Rivers and waterfront: an absolute must for a beer or two with snacks at dusk to go with your photos. The breakfast is included in the price and tasty. Service is great, plenty of smiles. The only sore point I have with this property is the slowish and small lifts. But hey...

Room Tip: Pay a little more to get the Palace view. Make sure you visit the rooftop bar at dusk. Hard to fi...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed July 30, 2013

We stayed here after a week touring Cambodia and had stayed at a variety of hotels/ lodges and were looking forward to a night of 4 star luxury. It's not my preferred type of decor with bare concrete floors but was clean and the staff were friendly. The rooms were very disappointing with bare plaster in the bathrooms that were clearly not finished. When I pointed this out to the desk they laughed and said this was the look. As the bath had not been finished the shower leaked straight into the bedroom and paint from the ceiling was smeared liberally over the "chic" bare plaster. To prove that it wasn't finished my daughters bathroom door had wet paint which We then had to clean from her clothes.
I'm not sure if the ladders in the bathroom were the look or for the decorators. It's a shame that my room didn't have wet paint as that may have diffused the incredible smell of drains.
The reaction to my complaint of this smell was to put a scented candle in the room with no effort to eradicate the problem which makes me think this is an ongoing issue.
we were extremely glad to move on after one night.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 30, 2013

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at the Frangipani Royal Hotel.

The room was clean and comfortable. The sheets were oh so soft. The balcony overlooked some fancy pants Wat or Palace or something (I never did figure out what it was). Awesome looking though.

Oh and the staff. Coming from Australia... The hotel would initially appear to be over-staffed. Which is excellent, because there are tons of friendly Cambodian people that are both eager and willing to do your bidding (that sounds awful right). I had them writing out my days destinations on paper in Khmer so I could just show it to the Tuk-Tuk drivers. Which works well.

I even had them help me order a pizza to my room (I used their phone to order the pizza, then handed it to the staff to give the directions). The price is very reasonable for what you get. As I was on a tight-ish budget, I kept on telling myself that I would check-out and move to some dive backpacker place... But I never got round to it. Four days later, I flew out of town.

I will probably stay there, or at one of the other branches the next time I am in town.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Nomad_Nine
Reviewed July 30, 2013

I stayed in this hotel during the first week of June 2013 for seven nights.The staff of this hotel is one reason why I would come back here anytime. Smiles are not rare at the front desk. The sky bar was a real plus and not to mention the 'happy hours' that we manged to catch at times. Kan Ha ( She told me her name means September) is certainly a gem to this hotel in the afternoon shift.
She answered most of my 'touristic ' questions and was never tired of answering my numerous questions. I hope their pool is now opened.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the riverside since they are away from the traffic, and a better view too.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Dan O
Reviewed July 26, 2013

Great location and service. Great views from the roof althought we did not see the royal palace illuminated as it is on the hotel's web page. The breakfast buffet was very good. The bed was very comfortable. The only bad thing was that the bath tub was broken.

• Stayed: July 2013
3  Thank Earlybirdies
Reviewed July 25, 2013

Lovely, helpful staff and very friendly. Neat, clean rooms. Would highly recommend to anyone. Very central point in Phnom Penh for tourist attractions. Overlooks the river and Main Street. - good roof top bar.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends