“Super cheap place, great for the money, nice and central”
Review of Golden Gate Hotel

Golden Gate Hotel
Ranked #104 of 267 Hotels in Phnom Penh
Brisbane
“Super cheap place, great for the money, nice and central”
Reviewed October 5, 2013

Just stayed a week at this place, US$120 for a 6 night stay including breakfast and laundry service. The rooms are fairly clean, the bathroom is slightly weirdly laid out in that the shower is right next to the toilet (meaning it gets wet), and the beds are comfortable. All rooms have aircon plus a ceiling fan, a TV and a fridge. Great little place, I'd stay there again if going on my own though if I was going on a romantic trip or something, I might go for something a little more classy with a pool. Otherwise, there's a hotel round the corner that allows you to use their pool for US$5 including a free soft drink and a towel so if you want a pool AND a cheap room, staying here and swimming there is probably your best bet.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Steven V

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed October 1, 2013

I've stayed here several times and it's my "go-to" hotel in Phnom Penh. The standard rooms are nothing to write home about (and some are quite unpleasant, with fake windows and no natural light). The deluxe rooms are good value, though - spacious and clean, with big fridge, cable TV and free laundry service. The internet connection is reasonably reliable, though it doesn't work 100% of the time. I found the staff to be pleasant and helpful.

The location is great, though be aware that Street 278 is full of popular bars and restaurants, so it's not the place to stay if you're looking for a peaceful, quiet retreat. There are dozens of excellent places to eat within 5 minutes' walk of the hotel, and it's also near Lucky supermarket, ANZ bank, U-Care pharmacy and lots of other useful expat/tourist shops and services.

Note that some of the rooms (including the deluxe rooms) smell of stale cigarette smoke, even if you didn't specifically request a smoking room.

The breakfast is very poor, but with a fridge in the room and lots of restaurants nearby there is no need to rely on it.

Room Tip: The deluxe rooms are worth the extra money.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Anonymous T
Perth, Australia
Reviewed September 19, 2013

We've stayed at the Golden Gate a number of times now, and will continue to do because it's great value for money. And also, they do your laundry every day for free!

Seriously, nice staff, great location, good price.

It's not The Raffles. It's very affordable. Don't expect more than what you're paying for.

Good location with a number of bars and restaurants in the same street. Recommend trying the pizza across the road, the pies from the pie shop down the road, the breakfast at Herb Cafe at the end of the street, and the drinks at Liquids bar down the road.

For me, the only negative is the breakfast. It's always cold. Skip it and grab something at Herb Cafe on the corner.

Good proximity to Lucky supermarket (walking distance or $1 tuk tuk), which also has a great liquor store and pharmacy next door.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the road will be prone to street noise, but also have a view. Rooms at the back have a...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
San Francisco, California
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Spending the summer in Phnom Penh working, and I needed to find a place to stay for my remaining 20 days. GG came recommended via tripadvisor. Our group (5 people, booking 3 rooms, and some staying for a full month) went to check it out, first looking at their annex and then looking at the main building. We were much more impressed with the main building, especially when the staff at both places gave us different prices, with the nicer rooms costing less than the equivialent at the annex. So we made reservations to check in on that coming Sunday. Upon check in we were told there were no available standard rooms so they had upgraded us for the night to the deluxe rooms, great! And that as soon as standard rooms were available they would take care of moving us, perfect, makes it easy for us.

Well the next day we returned to the hotel around midday to drop something off only to find out that we had been moved, across the street, into the annex. Instead of having one large bed, we were given two twin beds. Only two of the lightbulbs worked, our room was across from a large, overflowing trashcan, and when I walked into the building they didn't ask for any kind of identification (not even my name) and just gave me whatever key I asked for. My room smelled like urine, the other room smelled like weed. This morning after a very quick shower in the standard bathroom (shower over the toilet) the entire room was flooded, including where my laptop had been placed on the floor. We tried to talk to the front desk at the main hotel and were met with unsympathetic, unapologetic responses and they even blamed us for the fact that we were moved. The best they could offer was to let us know when another room becomes available, and all I want to do it unpack my bag somewhere.

Needless to say we are checking out.

The rooms in the main building are great, especially the deluxe rooms. Very comfortable. And the staff at night are very accommodating and helpful. If you are going to stay here and have a preference for a certain building, make sure to specify that upon checking in or making a reservation. Additionally, they allowed us to make a reservation even though they didn't have any available rooms (granted we were upgraded for free for the night, which was great) but just keep that in mind.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Nicole P

Travelers are raving about these Phnom Penh hotels

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed June 15, 2013

All the other reviewers have said it. The hotel may not have the resort amenities but for those of us who work, the location and the value the staff add are so important. There are many restaurants and shops around, ANZ bank is just around the corner. Wat Lanka is so close you can join in the meditation there. Lucky supermarket is conveniently close as well.

We have stayed in this hotel for months sometimes since 2002 so we know the staff well and the owners have become really friends. The staff, Phalla, in our recent stay had pants shortened for my husband, pictures scanned for me and make photocopies for documents we needed in our meeting. Just love the noodle soup for breakfast.

Room Tip: The one in the picture is where we always stay but there are several choices of rooms at different p...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Kathmandu, Nepal
Reviewed June 8, 2013

Stayed in this hotel upon my arrival (for the first time) in Cambodia for business. It is very good value for money and has most of the basics (e.g. working internet, AC and en-suite bathroom), but everything is pretty basic. But at this price, one can't complain really! It seemed clean and secure enough and although it was fairly quiet inside, I suspect that at times, the noise from outside could be enough to keep some awake.

It is well located in an area popular with tourists and although the hotel has an in-house restaurant, better eating places are available right outside. By European standards, it is all good value (which makes such a pleasant change to most of Africa and the Caribbean!) There is a decent supermarket nearby (Lucky Supermarket), plus plenty of other shops.

For a relatively short stay, this hotel is OK, but is likely to be too limiting for more than about a week.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank markthriscutt
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 8, 2013 via mobile

Unhappy experience at Golden Gate. Booked it based on positive trip advisor reviews, but having stayed in several hotels in Phnom Penh around this price I was very disappointed. The included breakfast is a plus point but quality of the buffet was poor and my choice limited to semi-warm pancakes and eggs with one piece of manufactured ham.

The room was large and very clean, but with zero natural light. More troubling for me was the atrocious bed which was back-breakingly uneven and weak. When I complained the next morning I was told I should have said something earlier, but I did not feel inclined to request a change of rooms upon retiring at midnight.

I was not able to take advantage of the fabled free laundry service as I was only staying one night. They only collect your laundry between 7am and 12 noon.

When the inquired if I would be staying another night at the same rate I was pleased to say 'no thank you'.

Upon checking out I was asked to pay $2 for the water provided in the room. I was not impressed with this and explained to the reception team that I had not been told of this cost in advance. Along with the other issues, as I related them to 'Theary' the net result was one unhappy customer.

I asked to speak to the manager to resolve the issue but was told he was not in the hotel and not available via telephone. I asked who was in charge and was told by Theary 'we all are'. Finally I asked what the reception team could do to prevent me walking away from the hotel as an unhappy customer. The response: 'I have no idea'.

• Stayed May 2013