“Definitely coming back!”
Review of Golden Gate Hotel

Golden Gate Hotel
Ranked #104 of 275 Hotels in Phnom Penh
Reviewed January 22, 2012

I booked 16 people into this hotel directly through the hotel. We all were so happy with the stay and we were there for 16 nights.
Yes the bathrooms are tired but they were clean, same with the bedrooms! The aircon worked really well too!
The staff were so lovely and very helpful with everything from getting us phone sim cards, printing off schedules, to booking buses to Siem Reap. We loved the location with plenty of cafes in the street and not far in a tuk tuk to anywhere you needed to go. Also just a 5 minute walk to the Lucky Supermarket which was great. We also felt safe which is important. The laundry was amazing!! We were teaching sport all day so there was nothing better than having clean clothes after sweating all day! So much care and attention was taken with the laundry. We are definitely coming back in 2012!
Thank you Golden Gate for ensuring our Cambodian Experience was awesome. :)

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business

Reviewed January 14, 2012

We stayed here on our last night in Cambodia when our usual hotel was fully booked. The rooms were large and generally clean but the bathroom was tired and the water not hot. It is the only hotel in Cambodia where we have had to pay for the bottled water provided in the room, and as you can buy 12 bottles for $1 in a shop we thought this was a bit stingy. The breakfast was buffet style, included in the price and nothing to get excited about. We booked two rooms and one smelt of cigarette smoke. We were not asked if we wanted non-smoking rooms. Air conditioner was noisy but this is not unusual for Cambodia.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed January 11, 2012

I booked a room for 2 nights through Agoda and the price for a double room was 23 US Dollars which sound ok to me.

On arrival, the price was 28 US Dollars because 5 Dollars went to Agoda which I didn't know. The hotel have 2 buildings, one in front of the other and the room they gave me for that price was in the very old building that looks more like the cheapest hostel in India! The smell of the room was so bad, like it was closed for months! so I immediately requested a new room but they asked for $7 Dollars more for a room in the other building so I ended up paying $35 US Dollars for a room that suppose to cost $23!

When I tried to cancel the second night, they told me I have to contact Agoda which I did, then Agoda told me the hotel didn't want to cancel the second night. When I tried to speak to the manager, apparently he was out.
Stay away from this hotel, the location is not the best. for their prices you get a wonderful room in one of the many hotels and guesthouses in front of the river with a wonderful view.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank jfquintero
Reviewed December 26, 2011

Wasn't the most exciting hotel we stayed in. Wasn't alot nearby except for tuk tuks. Very Chinese in appearance. Breakfast was not great and they only gave us one coupon for the three days we were staying there for. Beds were very comfy and they also did free laundry for guests.

• Stayed: December 2011
Reviewed December 22, 2011

Was recommended this place by a friend and did not regret it. First booked a suite, as it was pretty cheap (USD 45) and got a great, very large room with a balcony. After some nights, I realized that I did not need all that space as I was by myself, so transferred to a standard, smaller room (USD 20), which had everything the larger room had - satelite TV, bathroom with a decent shower, and quick wifi.

The hotel is run by some very friendly cambodians. For some reason, they were always at least 4-5 people cramped in behind the relatively small front desk. This does at times look a bit funny and comical, but if you need any help from the hotel, they are always very ready to assist. They also provide free laundry every day, and both rooms I stayed in were very clean.

Location is also good, in the middle of a street where there are several nice cafes and restaurants, and quite a bit of nightlife on the weekends. At the end of the street is an impressive buddist temple.

Had first deceided to give this hotel four stars, but have now concluded to give it five -- beacuase if you are looking for a cheap but decent hotel with a good location, this is a safe bet.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank bjorn99
Reviewed December 18, 2011

The Hotel is a thinly disguised converted apartment block which is no bad thing as my room had a bedroom and sitting area; presumably a small apartment. It suited me well as I was working here and needed a light airy space with a desk and wi-fi connection, a/c and an ensuite shower room.
Its functional rather than elegant; but at $20 per night inc breakfast; I could not ask for more. It was quiet at night to as it has secondary double glazing to reduce traffic noise. I dont want to be too picky; but the design of the windows appear to make them impossible to clean; so the view outside was murky.
Other than that; the cleanliness was good. The big plus for me is off street car parking; but that's hardly a consideration for holidaymakers. Buffet breakfast was adequate; with decent coffee and corn flakes pus eggs; bacon toast etc.
Whether I'd recommend this hotel for my tour guests is questionable as most would prefer something more upmarket.
For an expat or family wanting decent, no frills, budget accommodation its a sound choice.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed December 16, 2011

The hotel is clean and in a good location, free laundry service is great. I would say the hotel is good except for when we went to check out. We had paid for our room the night before, in cash with the manager present however when we came to check out they denied all knowledge of us already paying for it, as we had no receipt we could not prove this so ended up paying twice. I found the staff at this time to be dishonest and unprofessional. They ruined an otherwise good hotel. I would not recommend this hotel. If you stay, please ask for a receipt.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple