Open today: 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM

from $26.30
from $46.40
from $106.00
11,194 results
All reviews khmer rouge killing fields tuol sleng blood stains former high school barbed wire audio guide pol pot chum mey old school genocide museum cambodian history recent history sad place heart wrenching eye opening sad history
Reviewed December 7, 2014

Just read what the prisoners had to endure and you will understand how what seemed to be a good regime for
The population turned out to be a nightmare .....

Reviewed December 7, 2014

One cannot believe that all this was happening such a short time ago and like what happened in Germany, should never be forgotten---the world can be a very cruel place and if just viewing these places makes us all kinder to the human race then it is worth the trauma of seeing the atrocities that were carried out there.

Reviewed December 7, 2014

I am glad that this museum has been preserved as it was found , it tells the story of torture and death for the world to see .

Reviewed December 7, 2014

This museum is THE historical museum to visit in Phnom Penh and certainly will give you a perspective on the horrors seen during the genocide. However, if you are sensitive to gore, or just don't want to deal with something so heavy, I would recommend skipping this museum. There is nothing held back in the images and exhibits on display. There were a lot of horrors and senseless killing during this war, and that is clearly conveyed in the exhibits.

If you want to learn about the genocide, but don't want something this intense check into the alternatives. Instead, there are educational videos you can watch to get an idea but escape the gore. The Flicks Community Movie house has many of these documentaries, if you want to know more but want a lighter taste. Also, you can stop by Mike's Burger House and talk to the owner himself about his experiences in the killing fields as a child and his decision to return to Cambodia to rebuild the country. There are also tours of the killing fields as an alternative (although I'm sure this is also very heavy.).

Although I am very interested in history, have been to genocide and war memorials, and almost never skip something this historical, I decided not to go to this museum. It may have been because I was there for heavy ministry and saw enough hard things during the week, but this museum was too heavy a visit for me. Keep that in mind when choosing to go; if you are ok with disturbing and here for travel, definitely check it out.

(Note: I did not personally visit this museum but saw many images from it and had friends who visited.)

Reviewed December 7, 2014 via mobile

I have read a lot about the Khmer regime during Polpot's time and was quiet aware of what to expect when I planned my visit but nothing really prepared me when I went to this place. It was heart-wrenching and sad. I was filled with sorrow and loss. Cambodians are gentle, beautiful people and to suffer such cruelties was way to much. I never understood and many of them doesn't understood as well why it happened. Get a tour guide for you to know every bits and pieces of information while inside the museum. I went out completely changed. Go here and be prepared to cry.