“A dining pleasure from start to finish”

L'Orchidee Restaurant
Ranked #83 of 1,414 Restaurants in Phnom Penh
Cuisines: Asian, Cambodian, European
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Kids, Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Brunch, Lunch, Drinks, Dinner, Late Night, Cash Only, Delivery, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Dear Customers, Please be informed that our kitchen will close at 10:00pm, so our last order will be 9:40pm. The rest of you who have already enjoyed your meal, you can continue staying until late. Thanks, L'Orchidee Restaurant
Glasgow
“A dining pleasure from start to finish”
Reviewed January 14, 2013 via mobile

We ate here just over a week ago and we loved it. From the cold towels to refresh you at the start, the delicious appetiser of pickled vegetables (twice as we'd hungrily devoured the first plate in seconds and were offered thirds!) to our amazing mains and informative and friendly chats with the owners. We were also lucky enough to be introduced to some of the more unusual fruits in Cambodia by the owners who took the time to show us. Overall we had a lovely meal and were so glad we sought this place out in Phnom Penh. Our only disappointment was that we hadn't found it earlier in our stay so we could visit again.

1 Thank JoTGlasgow

• Korean first
Singapore, Singapore
“Middle of the road”
Reviewed January 9, 2013

L'orchidee is very middle of the road. Goodish food, ambiance, drinks and waiters. Nothing to write home about, OK if you are in the area and want a quick bite. Otherwise not worth it.

• Visited December 2012
OrchideeRestaurant, Owner at L'Orchidee Restaurant, responded to this review, January 13, 2013
Dear customer,
Thank you for your comment. We noticed that, somehow, you appreciated our place but with some "reserve".
Know that we take your comment as a invitation to improve and become better... We are always "self-reviewing" our place. And to find the right balance between; the food and drinks we propose; prices we charge; ambiance we offer; service we deliver is a perpetual challenge, but the kind of challenge we like as it prevents us to sit-down for too long and do some self-satisfaction...
And if I may use of some humor to end this... Better not to stay in the middle of the road in Phnom Penh... It is, by far, the most dangerous place to be :-)
We wish you a pleasant stay in Cambodia, and hope to see you again at our place to show you how seriously we try to respond to our customer's reviews.
Best regards.
The team from l'Orchidee Restaurant
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
“Cheap and bad”
Reviewed January 8, 2013

This is a typical place in cambodia with a menu of asian and european dishes. Its miles away from the riverside. The service is awful they got our order wrong 3 times and food was very slow and didnt arrive at the same time and when it did was badly cooked and tasted bad. When we told the staff they didnt know what to do so we ended up paying for it. Not sure why this place is so highly rated? Avoid

• Visited January 2013
OrchideeRestaurant, Owner at L'Orchidee Restaurant, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Dear Customer,

After reading your review, be sure that we feel absolutely sorry for such a bad experience… Seriously.
As you have noticed yourself, we are a small restaurant, in a quiet area, far from the main touristic places - 3 miles from the riverside to be precise. So, to care for each customer entering our place is not just a matter of survival for our business. More important, this is a matter of decency and respect for those taking the time to come and discover our place. As we are far from the main touristic places surely have you noticed that among our customers some are Cambodian. And trust me, when they go to a restaurant they expect the best, otherwise… Pfff… we are in trouble :-)
As the manager of this place, I am at the restaurant every single day, lunch and dinner, and I make sure that every dish leaving the kitchen is well prepared and meet our standards as well as the level of expectation of the customers.
As a small restaurant, our activity is still modest, even if increasing slowly and surely. Actually we have an average of 9 to10 tables a day, most of them in the evening - let's admit it is still few. So, trust me, it gives me enough time to go personally to each table to 1)welcome, 2)assist the staff with the order when foreigners come 3)advice and inform, 4)control and finally, when comes the time to pay 5)make a quick "enquiry" on how things went. From far, what we are getting the most are compliments or very positive judgements… It is like that…
Do not misunderstand me; what I just wrote above do not authorized me to pretend that we are perfect. Actually we are not. But our objective, the main one, the far one, the ultimate one is to reach to a certain form of perfection. It has to be so…
Since we opened we have done few mistakes, but we have corrected them as "errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum" *. Surely we still miss few points, no doubt about it. This is why I personally follow the steps 1 to 4, as described above, to bring improvements. Quite often our customers comment our dishes, or the place, or both. And happily they do so as we ask for it ! We want, and we need to know what customers think before they leave the restaurant. Personally I like that as I believe remarks are part of a dialogue between people; most of those remarks are very useful to us, some even point small things that can be changed, or adapted. All remarks push us to improve. Fortunately enough?! but most of those remarks show us that we are going in the right direction.
So imagine; I am more than surprised to not have noticed myself, nor being informed by you, of such a big problem - because let's be honest, what happened to you that day is a big problem. Isn't it ?? 3 different huge mistakes, at the same time, with the same table, plus a service so bad that the staff, including my wife or myself, were helpless… Whaouh!!!…. I admit, it looks terrible and somehow I am speechless… Like you, if I am confronted to such mess I clearly not accept it, but unlike you, before leaving the place, I find a way to express how much I have been disappointed and unsatisfied. Now, the only one question I have in mind is : "But why he hasn't told us all that while he was here, and what happened to us that we could not see the problem?". Not to persuade you not to write nor comment publicly afterwards - freedom is everything and I believe in freedom - but just to point the mistakes we have done, so it helps us to identify, and correct a.s.a.p. the problem. To finally helps us to improve and become better.

Now, mentioning our menu composed at 85% with South-East Asian (not just khmer) dishes… Well, what to say… We are in Cambodia, and we think this is the food many people expect to find when entering in a local restaurant. We don't make mystery of it, we even advertise about it so no one is surprised when entering our place. And Yes, we propose few european dishes… We think it is a good idea, as those dishes seem to be quite appreciated mainly by Cambodians and long term expats living around, and some days want "something different"…

As an end, as you live in Phnom Penh, may I propose you to feel absolutely free to come back to our restaurant (anonymously or not, at your convenience) so it may change your judgement on our place. And in the meantime may I propose you 2 subjects to think of : 1) Can you make sure that the restaurant you went to is l'Orchidée Restaurant, the restaurant located street 464, close to the Russian Market??, just to be sure that you are not speaking about another place with a close name ?? (just sorry to raise that question but I feel so much like you are not speaking about our place)… And 2) Between us, do you really believe that all restaurants should be located in the same area (Riverside, is the one you mentioned) as it looks that even our location is seen as a default, which, from my own perspective I think is not.

We wish you a nice day and a nice stay in Cambodia
Best regards
The team from l'Orchidée Restaurant

* To make mistakes is human, to persevere is diabolic
Paris
“Great Khmer food at reasonable prices”
Reviewed January 4, 2013

L'Orchidee restaurant is a hidden jewel... Just a few minutes from the russian market, it's easy to find but still in a quiet street. I went two times in two days and really enjoyed the local food, really tasty, very clean and plenty of it! The French owner with his Khmer wife are offering a nice range of Khmer cuisine mixed with a few typical French dishes. The place is refreshing and I certainly highly recommend it to anyone in search of simplicity and taste.

Dear customer,
We want to thank you for this nice review. And we are very pleased with the fact that you appreciate so much our restaurant.
You noticed that our dishes are tasty and clean. We are, indeed, focusing on the quality and freshness of all products used in our dishes as we believe it makes a huge "plus" when arriving in the plate. And this is something we are not going to change or bargain...
Furthermore, I like when you mention about our "simplicity" as it is really what we are looking for... A place, simple in its approach and concept. A place where people come, spend a good time, enjoy nice food and, finally, feel relaxed after their lunch or dinner...
After all, isn't it the most important... :-)
We wish you many new travels, full of nice encounters and discovery...
The team from l'Orchidee Restaurant
Melbourne, Australia
“Great meal”
Reviewed January 4, 2013

We had a great meal at this restaurant. It is out of the main tourist area but worth the $3 tuk tuk ride. It is near the Russian Market and the food is delicious. Had plenty of food for 5 people for $30. Owner is French and gave us great recommendations on what to order and what was enough. Had frogs, tongue, chicken with lemongrass, pork with ginger, and shrimp. Some new foods for us but all fabulous. Highly recommend it!

• Visited January 2013
OrchideeRestaurant, Owner at L'Orchidee Restaurant, responded to this review, January 5, 2013
Dear Customer,

Thank you for your very nice comment.
As a restaurant we are alway pleased to advice our clients about different type of food they should try.
Our objective is clearly to make people discovering new flavors, new meals. And we alway try to find the right balance between our customer's choice and what comes in the plates. So yes, if we think that, maybe, people ordered too much we never hesitate to advice... After all going to a restaurant must be, and must remain, a moment of pure pleasure and a nice "souvenir".
As a end; if your visit to our restaurant gave you a good feeling about Phnom Penh and about Cambodian food; then We are more than happy.

We wish you a very nice stay in Cambodia and we hope to see you again in a near future...
... And between us ; next time even adults will get a small piece of cake ;-) :-)

Best regards