“Great spot in the middle of Cambodian Culture”

Sunway Hotel Phnom Penh
Ranked #35 of 275 Hotels in Phnom Penh
Reviewed March 22, 2013

This is a fantastic property. I was initially a bit worries about staying at a non-branded property that I wasn't familiar with but it is a well managed property for this area.

Location is just fantastic. Your just few bucks away via "tok tok" from central market, city center, Kings palace and many of the cultural attractions.

Room is average in size. Clean.
When requesting a room ask for a view of embassy. It's beautiful. I believe it is a ODD numbered room.

Restaurant on property is good too. Breakfast was enjoyable and is included with your room rate.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank TNLZ

Reviewed March 19, 2013

Four years ago, I visited Angkor Wat, Siem Reap. At that time, I wanted to visit Phnom Penh, because it's the capital of Cambodia, but I was a member of a tour, then I couldn't change the course. This time, other than town walk as usual, I had one interesting purpose. It was a column about "Loyal Dog Hachiko" in Phnom Penh appeared in Asahi dated 27/1/2013. "Loyal Dog Hachiko" is the most famous dog in Japan and its statue is located in Shibuya, Tokyo.
Almost all Japanese know about this dog.
I stayed at this hotel for one night. This hotel is located at north part of Phnom Penh, and between Wat Phnom and Raffles Hotel Le Royal. This means it is calm area. This hotel is 4-star hotel and, of course the room was clean and comfortable. Before I go out for sightseeing, I showed reception ladies a paper in Japanese about "Loyal Dog Hachiko" and explained that opening ceremony was held on 26/12/2012 in front of a book shop at the center of Phnom Penh. And asked if you know about this fact and the name of the book shop. One of them answered
"I don' t know about the dog, but this shop must be Monument book shop on Norodom Blvd.".
I walked Norodom Blvd looking for the shop but I could't find it as far as Victory Monument.
After visiting Silver Pagoda (royal Palace was closed), I came back to Norodom Blvd. again and found the book shop at last. I was deeply moved. In this way, I could attain my object and I was very happy. When I came to the International Airport to go to Bientiane , I found the branch of this shop at the tax free area.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed March 17, 2013

A good introduction to Cambodia.

The staff were pleasant and efficient. The facilities were good and the Spa an excellent way to unwind after a long flight from UK.

The only downsides were that the bar was relatively expensive and there was no pool.

It's in a great location though - close enough to the centre to get in easily and far enough out to be quiet.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 14, 2013

My room in the Sunway had an interesting view across a boulevards to the US Embassy in 1 direction and Wat Phnom in the other. Wat Phnom was about a 10m walk and the Quayside in Phnom Penh (the riverside, bar and restaurant area) was a $2 - $3 tuk tuk ride. Generally about the same price to come back from the Central Markets and downtown generally. Tuk Tuks were always available outside the hotel on the main road.
Great breakfast buffet and service from very attentive staff. Bar area was fine for a nice cold beer.
Part of a package so I really can't comment on value for money and as I didn't use the dining room other than for breakfast, I can't comment on meals.
Big drawback for my wife and I was the lack of a swimming pool or any cool relaxing outside area in the very hot weather.
Room was fine, flat-screen TV with lots of variety (including for me the Australian ABC) and good, quiet air conditioning.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 4, 2013

I was really happy during my stay at this hotel... check-in was fast and smooth and we got upgraded! what a nice surprise! the staff is very friendly and helpfull.. they really know how to keep their guests happy. The free wi-fi in the rooms were faster than i expected and the hotel is located in a good area. We booked our tours from the hotel and we had a great tour guide! He was like a walking Encyclopedia :) Its really worth it to take a day to visit the Killing Fields..not many people know about this...just beware it is not for the faint hearted - it is truly heart breaking what this country and its people went through.
The breakfast was great and our coffee cups were never empty... I would suggest to rather go out to eat for lunch and dinner - the food is quite expensive at the hotel and I think its much better to experience the local food for much cheaper (just dont eat at a vendors outside but ask the hotel to give you recommendations of where you can go to eat). I would definitely stay here again - but I wish they had a pool.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 3, 2013

This hotel is clean and the staff is friendly. It lacks some of the amenities that other hotels in the area might have such as a pool, but it does have a gym and free wifi. It offers a standard buffet breakfast with the room and also has a bar and restaurant for dinner. The beers are very cheap in the bar. The location of the hotel is right next to the #1 hotel in Phnom Penh : The Raffles. The rooms are large and comfortable. This hotel is great for business and travelers looking for a good rate/deal.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed March 3, 2013

What a nice way to to begin our 6 day tour of cambodia, of which 2 nights were spent in Phnom Penh. Arriving at the airport and driving through the city with a shuttle service that picked us up we first expected nothing, but was greeted by friendly staff, an upgrade to the presidential suite, good food and a feeling that we are cared for.
Thank you Sunway hotel for a easy entry into Phnom Penh, if I can quote from another tripadvisor review. We also missed a swimmingpool after a long day in the heat, but with a huge jacuzzi/bath in our bathroom I am not going to complain. Definitely worth staying here.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family