“Quiet spot at the end of the day”

Raffles Hotel Le Royal
Ranked #15 of 274 Hotels in Phnom Penh
Reviewed July 2, 2007

A beautiful resort with outstanding staff and excellent accomodations. Wonderful selection at breakfast buffet and great location for one doing business at the U.S. Embassy across the street. Even if one is needing to travel a bit from the hotel, the tuk-tuk drivers will cover you immediately for a ride out once you reach the front gate! Nice fruit basket in the room upon arrival and the Elephant Bar was really nice as well. Nice touch with the use of actual keys rather than key cards. Thank you, Royale.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled on business

Reviewed June 25, 2007

Stayed in Raffles recently and loved the whole experience. The hotel and the garden are absolutely stunning and the service is very good. I was especially happy with the buffet dinner (and breakfast) at their restaurant - highly recommended!

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 16, 2007

We stayed here for 2 nights in May 07. We were upgraded to a larger room in the main building on arrival which was nice touch and did go and look at the original room we had booked which was much smaller and darker. Our room had heigh ceilings a big bathroom with roll top bath and big walk in shower, however the furnishings were dated, but still it was a nice room.
The service was very good and happy hour in the elephant bar very popular with great cocktails. Pool and public areas were all very attractive and very clean and typical Raffles colonial style.
It is not ideally situated for walking to the main sights or nightlife however the tuk tuks outside were cheap and easy to get to and from and more desirable than a walk as it was so hot and humid. The concierge booked us a day tour with a private car and guide who was great and we had a very informative and somewhat eye opening day with visits to the Killing Fields and prison S21 both an absolute must to start to understand this country as it is although very harrowing .
Raffles was overall a very nice peaceful place to stay and most likely the best in Phnom Penh.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SusiePops
Reviewed May 29, 2007

Our stay at Raffles Le royal took place on 5th to 7th April as part of a 3 week trip to Cambodia & Vietnam arranged by Audley Travel who recommended Raffles as the best option in Phnom Penh.We arrived at 9pm amidst great excitement as the King of Brunei was staying at Raffles whilst visiting the King of Cambodia.Security was tight & all luggage into the hotel went through a scanner outside.
We checked in & was taken to our room 287 overlooking the pool.
My first impression was how small the room was but I presumed this was correct.The kingsize bed & other furniture were fine but you were quite restricted for space particularly if you have 3 bags of luggage as we did.I thought the room had a rather depressing feel about it & the colonial feel didn't improve that.
The bathroom was more disappointing as it was deffinately in need of refurbishment with re-tiling the most important thing on the list. Although I'm fussy I can also except that some places are far from perfect but I really expected better from Raffles Le Royal.
Breakfast was included in our stay & there was ample choice of food & we enjoyed siiting outside on the veranda to eat it but there is plenty of room inside the air-conditioned restaurant.
The lobby area was heaving with press photographers all waiting hopefully to see the King of Brunei who was leaving that morning.Presumably the hotel isn't always that busy & frantic.
The staff certainly seemed distracted but I'm not sure I could blame them for this IF the Kings visit was the reason.
We spent some time by the pool which I thought was all a bit shabby really .The sunbeds looked faded & worn & the area surrounding it not tended to as I would have expected.Don't expect staff to pamper to your needs there as we felt lucky to even get a towel each.
The hotels position certainly isn't convenient for walking to the sights & you will need transport for this & for eating out but the moto tuk-tuks are great fun & cheap too( just keep you eyes closed as the traffic is manic).
Like another trip advisor member commented on ,the room we had also had a cold damp feel & we couldn't even get our swimwear to dry .The hotel corridors reminded me of barron boarding school or prison corridors (although I hasten to add I've never stayed in either!).
Overall the hotel just lacked any warmth or invitingness & I would not risk staying in another Raffles for that reason.
When I read my itinerary afterwards it said we had a state room which sounds quite grand to me so I don't know if we were put in the wrong room but even if we were I still would have been disappointed with the hotel.Unfortunately I don't know which other hotel to recommend but the area by the river & along Sisowath Quay would be better I think.
If you do go to Phnom Penh don't miss The Royal palace which is a spectacular arrangement of buildings & home to King Sihanouk & also the National Museum which houses over 1,000 treasures .

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled as a couple
4  Thank travelmadIver
Reviewed May 24, 2007

It's a nice hotel in terms of design, but we had more than a few problems while we were there, and I don't feel like we got a great value. First, upon check-in, they couldn't find our reservation, so they asked me to fill out a form for someone else's reservation (with that person's rate and personal information on it), and then ripped that up once they found my reservation upon my going up to the desk. They claimed to upgrade our room, only to watch them grab a welcome note for someone else off the table in the room when we got there - not sure what was going on there.

The room itself was a bit damp - strangely humid given the airconditioning. My clothes literally felt wet as I unpacked them in our next location. Since I was already coming down with a cold, this did not make me feel very good - I'm not sure all the rooms would have this same feel but ours did.

The service in the Elephant Bar - and the happy hour - was nice. That was the best part of our stay.

When we asked the concierge how to get out to tour the area, he was a bit indifferent to our request, like he couldn't be bothered to help us out. We ended up taking a hotel car, $27 for 4 hours, because metered taxis are virtually non-existent in Phnom Penh. The car was fine, if not a little rickety, the driver very nice.

I saw a lot of business people there - not surprising but it doesn't make you feel very comfortable if you are a tourist. Especiallty when you show up in breakfast casually dressed and everyone else is in business attire staring at you. Not to mention, breakfast was not included ($15 per person for a good buffet), nor was Internet ($10 for 3 hours). Felt nickel and dimed most of the time, as some big business hotels will make you feel.

I don't mean to sound so negative, it wasn't terrible, but I had a pit in my stomach upon leaving, feeling like we spent a lot of money for something that wasn't worth it. We tried to book some of the other options (FCC, Amanjaya, Pavilion) but they were all full. My preference would be to stay at one of these hotels down towards the water - better location for the sights anyway.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
4  Thank walkaboutnyc
Reviewed April 10, 2007

The hotel was absolutely beautiful and a joy to come back to each evening. We felt that we could holiday/live/work in any city in the world no matter how frantic/unfamiliar if we had the luxury of this colonial charm to come back to every evening.

The food in the restaurant was quite superb - we had a three course meal for two with wine for $98 that was just sensational. Very expensive in relative terms (compared to restaurants in Phnom Penh) but for us, coming from London, a bargain in absolute terms.

The only complaints that we had were the charge for internet access which was free in other comparable hotels we stayed in during our trip, and just seemed totally unnecessary given the cost of the rooms, and the fact that we booked a double room and were initially given a twin room. Neither of these small annoyances would deter us from going back!

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ChesterEight
Reviewed March 5, 2007

A perfect place to arrive after the long flight from London via Bangkok, it looks stunning from the outside and the inside is just as lovely. Our room was super with high ceilings and every comfort, a lovely big bathroom with large roll top bath, the hotel has a lovely old charm about it.

Service is faultless. We had a wonderful meal in the restaurant, everything was delicious. I highly recommend the Elephant bar for happy hour but get your place early as it fills up fast. Great for a stay in Phnom Penh.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled as a couple