“Elegant colonial style luxury hotel in central Phnom Peng”

Raffles Hotel Le Royal
Ranked #14 of 265 Hotels in Phnom Penh
Toronto, Canada
“Elegant colonial style luxury hotel in central Phnom Peng”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

This was our second Raffles stay in Cambodia after three nights in Siem Reap. The hotels are very similar in the French colonial style and both centrally located. Very friendly and gracious greeting as we arrived. The rooms are identical (lovely with all of the comforts) - we knew exactly where everything was to be found without exploring the room!
The river and night market are only a $3 tuk tuk ride away.
We were only here overnight - the bed is extremely comfortable and the breakfast buffet was truly amazing though the view is somewhat urban.
As pleasant as this short stay was, if you are planning to splurge only once while you are in Cambodia, we recommend the Raffles in Siem Reap where the sense of history is everywhere.

Room Tip: We had a ground floor room overlooking the garden and pool. Very quiet and peaceful.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
RLR-GM, General Manager at Raffles Hotel Le Royal, responded to this review, March 16, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your staying with us at Raffles Hotel Le Royal and for posting your kind review on Trip Advisor. We are glad to know that your short stay in Phnom Penh was memorable and that you enjoyed our facilities.

We look forward to the next opportunity to welcoming you back to our palatial residence and we thank you as well for recommending our sister hotel in Siem Reap.

Personal Regards,

Richard Schestak

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (355)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Wellington, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

This was my first visit to Cambodia and this hotel came highly rated by my travel agent and was also reasonable value. It's style an architecture was reminiscent of days gone by of the British Raj where journalist sipped their martini's by the pool and talked of duty to King and country. In this case, I believe it's the French empire and architecture that's so prominent here.

Certainly the service is superb, the friendliness and helpfiness of the staff unsurpassed. I found that there were a lot of tourists here, not the coach load type but seemingly wealthy Europeans and Americans.

Absolutely superb architecture and history just oozes out of every nook and cranny in the hotel. A good place to relax and back in the sun by the pool. Unfortunately, I didn't have time to do any of those things because of work pressures but the I looked at the guests by the pool with envy everytime i passed!

The only lapse in detail that I noted was a welcome note in my room addressed to someone else. Perhaps they had my note in their room?

Breakfast was very good with something there for everyone and service was excellent. Oh, the desserts there are also superb and theres a drink with a blend of different flavoured sorbet and topped off with mango and berries! Don't miss this! It's a real culinery delight!

I had mossies in my room and the staff came and sprayed the room but they seemed to return when least expected so when I mentioned this to the house keeper, he told me they like hiding under the bed like the goblins and trolls when I was young and so he returned with a can of spray and we put paid to those monsters uner the bed! Again, great service!

Room Tip: Not sure what a good room is but I stayed in 171 which was on the ground floor and had a balcony (wh...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank RayC888
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your most kind review and praising our colleagues for providing great service within our historic surroundings.

Please accept my apologies for the mix up of welcome cards which occurred due to a change of rooms.

Our entire team looks forward to welcoming you back to Raffles Hotel Le Royal.

Kindest Regards

Rotterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2013

As a tourist traveling from Vietnam through Cambodja I didn't feel comfortable in this hotel. We like luxury - we love eating at good restaurants - we love colonial style hotels but we didn't feel at ease at this hotel and I dont have that very often.

We felt that Us tourists in our tropical cargo 3/4 trousers and t shirts weren't really welcome in the lobby. The lobby was full of business people or wel dressed locals having high tea. There seemed to be a barrage of suited managers at the lobby who jumped on you as you entered the hotel as if they were trying to keeping out the riff raff.

Our room
We had a state room in the main building - huge, beautiful. Stunning bathroom but the plumbing needs a look at. The pipes made load noises while the taps where on at the sink.
No balcony which we would have liked. A fantastic room if I where on a business trip.

The pool
Fantastic - wonderful colonial atmosphere. Free water and fruit. Always attentive pool bar staff.
Loved that there was an adult pool and a shallow pool for the children. Not that there were many. Loved the tranquility of it in the busy city after a morning of site seeing.

Restaurant Le Phnom Deli
Little tea shop with about 3 tables in the courtyard looking over the pool. Wonderful secluded spot to have a sandwich, cake or scone! Loved this place for lunch!

Restaurant Le Royal
At around 40 Dollar for a main course we didn't try this restaurant.

Breakfast at Cafe Monivong
This is the buffet breakfast restaurant - wonderful breakfast - Asian and western. Probably one of the best buffet breakfasts in our whole trip.

Dinner at the Cafe Monivong
With the Restaurant Le Royal being so eye wateringly expensive the only other option for dinner is the Cafe Monivong. This is buffet and a la cart. We are not really fans of buffet food so we went for the a l a cart. It was ok - nothing wow - not really worth the price tag. One of the few places I didn't take a photo of my meal!!

The only outdoor seating is in the corridor around the restaurant. The hotel seems more geared up to business people who are dressed up to eat indoors in the cold airco and the staff seemed to think the tourists were nuts wanting to eat outside and kept offerting us mosquito repellant even though we could find a single bug around.

The Elephant Bar
Wonderfully decorated historical bar - luckily with a Happy Hour! Loved this bar!!

If I ever have to come back to Phnom Penh for business - I wil probably LOVE this hotel.
but as a tourist - not so great.

1 Thank GLJDavies
RLR-GM, General Manager at Raffles Hotel Le Royal, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Many thanks for your kind review on Trip Advisor and for taking the time to share your experiences while staying with us. Firstly, I would like to thank you for highlighting many great aspects of our service throughout the hotel. Please allow me to share with you that I am concerned with your impression relating to the hotel's business feel. In fact, Raffles is a well established hotel in Phnom Penh, described as an "oasis" and a favourite for leisure guests and visitors to Cambodia's capital. My findings concluded, that exactly during your stay, we did have an official delegation with us, hence you correctly observed many formal dressed visitors in our lobby. We regret that you felt uncomfortable during these times but I trust that you experienced a wonderful time away from these activities, while spending a relaxing time at our pools and the Le Phnom Café.

For leisure or business, we would be delighted to welcoming you back hopefully soon to our colonial residence and remain with

Personal Regards,

General Manger
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2013 via mobile

This a beautiful, grand yet charming property, with great, high ceilinged rooms, extremely comfortable beds, and a wonderful atmosphere. Really, everything you could want from a luxury hotel. Once outside of your room however, the solicitousness of the staff is simply overwhelming. No sip from a glass is left unreplenished, plates are removed as you are chewing the last bite, every staff member (and this hotel has an enormous staff) has memorized your name and asks how is everything, when did you arrive, where have you been, where are you from etc etc. Over and over and over. There is no such thing as unobtrusive service here. If you want to feel like the Emperor of Japan, this is the perfect place.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Otto1494
Dear Valued Guest,

Many thanks for your detailed feedback via Trip Advisor. I am pleased that you enjoyed the style of our historic hotel. Whilst I am always glad to know that my colleagues give their very best in caring for our guests and to comply to luxury service standards, I certainly took note of your point relating to "unobtrusive" service. We are grateful for your illustrations and will utilize such carefully during behavioral service training.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Raffles in the hopefully near future.

Weybridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013

The Raffles Hotel Le Royal (or the Le Royal as all the tuk-tuk drivers still know it as), is not only a wonderful hotel it is also played its part in the troubled history of Phnom Penh. It was here that the international journalists were held before being expelled from the country by the Pol Pot regime. As such it is represented by another hotel in the film 'The Killing Fields' as there was no access to Cambodia at the time that film was made.

Whether you choose to stay at the hotel or not it is worth stepping outside the hotel and onto the green opposite as on there is a memorial to the journalists killed covering the troubles.

The hotel is in the embassy area of the city, about a ten minute tuk-tuk ride from the waterfront and royal palace. Wat Phnom is a ten minute walk from the hotel. Tuk-tuks are available from outside the hotel and should cost $3-4 to get to the waterfront, however this needs to be negotiated in advance.

The Raffles hotel is a wonderful colonial building built around a shady courtyard in which there are two large swimming pools, one shallow one for children and a deeper one for adults and lap-swimming.

My party consisted of my wife and two teenage children. We stayed in interconnecting pool facing rooms, The rooms have high ceilings, are not large by American hotel standards, but are a perfectly decent size. The beds were very comfortable. The bathrooms included a separate tub, sufficient to have a proper bath. The showers had both a rain head and a conventional one. There is free wifi both in rooms and around the hotel. There is both air-conditioning and ceiling fans. If you are looking for a bright and airy room then the pool-facing ones are not that. They are not gloomy, but neither are they bright. Being on the ground floor and by the pool (with a small balcony), there is not total privacy if the net curtains are fully pulled back.

Breakfast is eaten in one of the long colonnades - bright but shaded. It is a typical buffet served in Asian hotel a mix of Western and Asian foods.

On checking-in I was told that my rate didn't include breakfast, however when I showed that my booking clearly stated that breakfast was included this issue was resolved immediately.

There is good attention around the pool with cold towels and water being brought at an appropriate frequency. Food and beverages are also available around the pool though these are charged at around four to five times the price you would pay in Phnom Penh.

The hotel will arrange for pick up from the airport. The charge is $33, which is not an inconsiderable amount given the short distance to the hotel from the airport.

The concierge organised a trip to The Killing Fields and S-21 for my party, This was well-organised and the quality of the guide was very good. However there are several alternative ways of arranging these trips online and before you travel.

The concierge was also able to book restaurants across a range of prices and cuisines.

The service in the hotel was excellent and from the moment of arrival the staff addressed me by name which was impressive.

I would certainly recommend a stay at this wonderful, historical hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Sayer
RLR-GM, General Manager at Raffles Hotel Le Royal, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your lovely review on Trip Advisor. We are delighted that your stay was memorable and our charming colleagues looked well after you in style.

I look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to Phnom Penh's palatial residence.

Devon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013

Given that that is the top hotel in Phom Penh one would expect it to be good. We decided to splash out at the end of a tour. Good decision. Staying here in colonial elegance is one of those experiences that you remember. I cannot think of anything of which to be critical. It was very good all the way from the young man who checked us in (and advised that my e mail requestshad ben met) to the door staff who bade us farewell.

Room Tip: Ask for a poo view room.
Dear Valued Guest,

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay in our colonial residence. Thank you for your compliments with regards to our colleagues at the Front Desk and our Doormen.

We all look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to Raffles Hotel Le Royal.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2013

We enjoyed it so much we changed our holiday so we could stay an extra 2 nights at the end of our break; service was excellent,bed very comfortable, shower brilliant, breakfast quality not quantity. Only comment of negative would be that food and drink prices compared to outside the hotel are expensive but it's just so good; you feel like you are in a cocoon of loveliness why leave; we did leave and go for adventures, drinks and food but it was just so nice to be back, in the cocoon! at the end of a sight seeing day or the hussle bustle after a meal out for the last drink or two of the evening.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
RLR-GM, General Manager at Raffles Hotel Le Royal, responded to this review, March 2, 2013
Dear Valued Guests,

I would like to sincerely thank you for staying with us at Raffles Le Royal and for taking the time to share your experience on Trip Advisor.

We were all delighted that you extended your stay another 2 nights. Raffles Hotel Le Royal is indeed an "Oasis" within the capital city and we shall continously make all possible efforts to further preserve the uniqueness of our colonial residence in the future.

Looking forward to welcoming you back in the future!

Kind Regards,