“Excellent couple of days despite Hillary Clinton visit and secret service everywhere”

Raffles Hotel Le Royal
Ranked #15 of 269 Hotels in Phnom Penh
Ascot, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 17, 2012

We spent two nights in this hotel after a few days in Vietnam. Quality of rooms, service, food, were all excellent. A little bit noisy in room at night as roads are near, busy and noisy. Pool delightful with very attentive service (I was even offered to have my spectacles cleaned for me!). Bars and restaurants are high quality. Service could be overly attentive due to a) unbelievably keen need to be helpful and b) a lack of skill in judging when to back off. We were there during Asean conference with plenty of comings and goings of politicians and security personnel. Overall we were treated very well and did not feel compromised by the security measures.

1 Thank Kevin M
RLR-DOR, Manager at Raffles Hotel Le Royal, responded to this review, July 18, 2012
Dear Kevin M,

Thank you for choosing The Raffles Hotel Le Royal as your residence in Phnom Penh, and thank you for your comments on TripAdvisor. We are delighted to read about your stay with us and how much you enjoyed it.

We have shared your comments about the pool and the service at the pool with all our colleagues. We are especially glad that the higher security measures during the ASEAN Summit did not inconvenience you during your time with us.

We look hope to welcoming you soon again to The Raffles Hotel Le Royal, and we look forward to serving you on your return visit.

With my personal regards,

Director of Rooms

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (359)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
United States
Reviewed July 16, 2012

This hotel truly exudes a romantic era of Asian travel. Grand in scale, beautiful in its colonial architecture and contextual in its aesthetic. Just walking the hallways and public spaces immediately transports you to an era gone by. Rooms and bathrooms are very good in size. Pool area is an oasis in a sometimes frantic city. Breakfast, sitting outside, looking down the corridor with all the ceiling fans slowly moving, was delightful. This all said management has work to do. Beginning with the staff: though Asian in high-end service standards, I found the service at this property to be concurrently obsequious and mechanical. At times, I could almost imagine the staff pulling out a sheet of paper from their pockets ticking a box each time they ask whether your meal was ok. Your personal "butler" escorts you to the room on check-in, and yet when asked whether the hotel can accommodate a late (1:30pm next day) check-out, she mechanically replies that "check-out is 12:00") - so much for accommodating service (the front desk later agreed to my request). I had given my trousers for pressing (free pressing for 2 items), which I received back 2 hours later, but when half-dressed, was disturbed by knocking on the door from the "butler" asking whether I had received my trousers - there might have been more elegant ways of inquiring. When checking out, there literally were 6 people (including the driver and butler) hovering about the car - it was almost annoying - as if all lining up for a tip. In general, too much service where unnecessary, which could have all been re-directed in more discreet but pleasing ways. Plus when requested, service fell short - for example, I had accidentally left my key in the room - I mentioned that to the concierge on my way out, asking that they retrieve it - when I returned, and asked for my room key, it wasn't there - it hadn't been retrieved from the room. The room itself was restrained in aesthetic and comfortable, but they could do so much more from a design perspective given all the colours in this beautiful country. The bathrooms looked almost cheap- square white tile reminiscent of housing subdivisions did little to bring the feeling of the place to the standard of its top pedigree, though the sink and tub were high quality. The Elephant Bar completely lacked appeal, with cheap looking ratan chairs and bad lighting- a renovation and design inspiration are clearly warranted. In general, this property has tremendous potential - but management needs to up their game. I'll give this property 4 stars for its romantic appeal, but honestly, that's being generous.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank Globetrekker63
RLR-DOR, Manager at Raffles Hotel Le Royal, responded to this review, July 23, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review The Raffles Hotel Le Royal after you recent stay with us. We are delighted that you enjoyed our hotel and the historic charm that we have. Furthermore we appreciate your comments about the attentive service of our colleagues from arrival to departure, and I am glad that a late check out was extended to you, as requested.

Currently we are undergoing an extensive renovation of our hotel, and as we are in the final stages of renovating all of our rooms we want to keep the colonial charm that the Raffles Hotel Le Royal is known for. The renovations and improvements to the hotel have gotten great comments from our guests, and we look forward to your next visit to Phnom Penh.

If I may be of any personal assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me direcly.

With best regards,

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed July 14, 2012

We chose Raffles hotel Le Royal based on our Raffles experience in Singapore and the reviews that we have seen. We were not disappointed. Having spent 4 days in Siem Reap - arriving at Phnom Penh was certainly a change of pace. The place really grew on us as we peeled back the layers and connected our experiences from Siem Reap. I strongly recommend at least 2 nights there - we will return to Phnom Penh it has a great atmosphere and Raffles is the place to stay.

Raffles Hotel le Royal sets the benchmark for service and hospitality that was authentic and genuine. My husband and our 2 boys were accompanied by our wonderful guide organised by the hotel. At every turn, the staff were there to ensure we had absolutely everything we wanted or had not even thought of - we truly have never had service like this before.

We found a fascinating city, vibrant, gritty and proud as the political capital of Cambodia. Visiting the Killing Fields of Choeung Ek and the Tuol Sleng Museum is a confronting and profound experience but an essential part of understanding Cambodia. I highly recommend this.

The city offers great restaurants, shopping and when it was time to retreat - Raffles had many places to relax. The pools were lovely, excellent service - try the poolside massage and sip on a cocktail. The breakfast and dinner smorgasbord were amazing - Elephant bar a trip back in time. One thing to be aware of is that there is still smoking permitted in certain bar areas.

In all, a wonderful hotel steeped in history and with all the comforts and care a traveller will ever need.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Anlouise
Dear Valued Guest,

Our sincere thanks for your review of The Raffles Hotel Le Royal on Trip Advisor. We are delighted to see that you had such a memorable stay with us, and we appreciate your comments about our hotel in the French Colonial tradition.

It is a great motivation for all of us to read about our colleagues and how they all were able to attend to your needs, making sure that all your requests were fulfilled.

We look forward to welcoming you back - soon, we hope - to Phnom Penh and The Raffles Hotel Le Royal.

With my personal regards,

Nice
Reviewed July 10, 2012

From the minute we entered this grand Hotel the service could not have been better.Our trip to Cambodia and Laos was to celebrate our 25th wedding Anniversary and was arranged by Premier travel of cambridge who did an excellent job. They had for us to be upgraded but We did not expect to be treated like celebraties. We even had our own Butler who offered to run my bath, it took me by surprise and politely refused but thinking about it maybe I should have accepted. They brought in a beautiful cake and bottle of wine which enjoyed on the balcony over looking the swimming pool.
Breakfast was delightful and also dinner but of course we had to go to the Elephant Bar for Happy Hour and sample their wonderful cocktails.
For a touch of heaven I would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: I would think all rooms are wonderful.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
, General Manager at Raffles Hotel Le Royal, responded to this review, July 13, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for celebrating your 25th wedding anniversary at Raffles Hotel Le Royal! We are truly delighted to know that your stay with us was memorable and enchanting!

Your kind words relating to our colleagues and facilities have been shared with the entire team. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon to Phnom Penh’s ‘Oasis for the Well Travelled’.

Kindest Regards,

Perth, Australia
Reviewed July 6, 2012

Perhaps I'm swayed by the pineapple, water and cold towel that were just delivered to my poolside lounge, but every part of the service we have received at The Raffles has been first class.

We arrived for our last night in Phnom Penh to celebrate some milestones having stayed in some more affordable accommodation for our first 3 nights. Having already seen everything we wanted to see in Phnom Penh the plan was to relax and unwind for our last day and night of holidays.

This experience could have been very different as having arrived on the tuk with our suitcases (a sight that probably isn't seen to often at the Radfles), we were seated in the lobby for check in. when they came back and told me they didn't have our booking I was sure it would ruin our holiday. As I had booked online without a printer I didn't have a confirmation number or any evidence of the booking. It is a real credit to the hotel the way in which they reacted, showing us a room they had available (a personality suite) and charging the price I remembered from my booking. The butler apologized many times despite it being no fault of the hotel, simply an IT issue.

Since we arrived we have received really first class service with our name being used by a number of staff to greet us. I don't want to spoil all of the extra touches they surprised us with as the surprise element makes it extra special. However, the butler has been amazing, running a bubble bath for us with rose petals and much much more.

As I know these a read by management I must also make special mention of Seng (?) at breakfast who shared with us a lot of his family life etc during a long chat at breakfast. All of the staff seem to take a real pride in their work and employer.

The facilities are great, well laid out gym, steam room and spa. 20m lap pool, with lots of lounges. The elephant bar was great with half price cocktails (4 US) and beers for a 5 hour 'happy hour' on Friday. We had free Internet, the speed a little on the slow side compared to our other hotel. Bathroom has a bath and powerful shower. Breakfast had a good selection.

Overall, this hotel delivers everything you'd expect for the price. But all the extras which I won't spoil for the readers made it the perfect end to our holiday. A real paradise with so much history.

1 Thank DestinationLangkawi
, General Manager at Raffles Hotel Le Royal, responded to this review, July 7, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to illustrate your experiences at Raffles Hotel Le Royal on TripAdvisor. We strongly belief that a hotel is something beyond its location, its décor and its amenities; it is a place where you are cared for so well that you want to come back again.

Your praises towards our colleagues including our pool attendants, butlers and Café Monivong attendants have been shared hotelwide and were very well received by all!

We look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you back to Phnom Penh’s palatial residence in the hopefully near future.

With best wishes,

London
Reviewed July 5, 2012

My fiancé and I stayed at Hotel Le Royal for 3 nights at the beginning of July. The staff made us feel extremely welcome and special from the outset. I would go so far as to say that we were made to feel like minor celebrities !

It was my fiance's 30th birthday during the stay and as a result we were upgraded to a junior suite. On his actual birthday the staff went out of their way to make the day special. He was given a cake, flowers and a small gift plus the obligatory (embarassing) happy birthday sung to him at breakfast.

The rooms were lovely, and a brilliant mix of old and new. The breakfast was out of this World, so much choice!!

No hesitation in recommending this hotel to others

Dear Valued Guest,

Many thanks for your review on Tripadvisor following your stay at Raffles Hotel Le Royal while celebrating the occassion of the 30th birthday. My colleagues and I were delighted when reading your note and evaluating us as an “amazing hotel”.

We look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you back to Raffles Hotel Le Royal in the hopefully near future.

Kindest Regards,

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed July 5, 2012

The history and grandeur of this hotel really stands out and our experience here was excellent: from the breakfast, room service, pool, gym and general quality of service.

Cannot comment too much on the location - the hotel seems close to most things however, with the heat and unfamiliarity of the city, a cab or tuk tuk were the easiest ways to get around.

Room Tip: pay a little extra for a suite - they are worth it
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
, General Manager at Raffles Hotel Le Royal, responded to this review, July 11, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for staying with us at Raffles Hotel Le Royal and for sharing your experiences on Tripadvisor. I am most delighted that you evaluated our breakfast, room service, pool, gym and service quality as excellent. Such comments are of great motivation to all of our colleagues.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Raffles Hotel Le Royal.

Best Regards