“Really bad "Poached boneless beef shortribs"”

InterContinental Phnom Penh
Ranked #28 of 267 Hotels in Phnom Penh
Singapore, Singapore
“Really bad "Poached boneless beef shortribs"”
Reviewed January 2, 2013

We recently went to the Xiang Palace on Friday, 28 December 2012 for dinner and the entire restaurant was empty. This worried us as we suspected that the food standard may have fallen badly. We had the Peking duck which was a little dry, Sweet and Sour pork which was a very small portion for the price paid. The deep-fried Soon Hock was good. However, we were surprised at the very poor quality of the Poached boneless beef shortribs. It cost USD89.00 and the dish was small, the meat was extremely fatty and small in amount. It could not even give a piece to each of the 6 people eating. For USD89.00, we expected something really unusual and spectacular. We therefore give this restaurant a very poor rating for charging such a high price for such a poor quality dish.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank JerryT118
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Phnom Penh, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Dear JerryT118,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your stay with us. Guest satisfaction is important to us and we try our hardest to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding experience at our hotel. We are so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience dining with us and the quality of the food served did not live up to your expectations. Rest assured that your comments will be reviewed by our Food and Beverage team and take actions accordingly.

Joel B
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
CHENNAI,INDIA
Reviewed January 1, 2013

The welcome is warm,check in very quick and the staff very courteous .The rooms are good and spacious .Very well maintained.Though priced a little high,I feel it is good value for money.The food is good but you can get cheaper choices just outside the hotel entrance.

Room Tip: The higher floors would probably keep the road noise away. We were on the 11th floor.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed December 29, 2012

It is nice to see a well built hotel with modern, clean decor in Phnom Penh.

Restaurant: The noodles and fresh squeezed fruit juices at breakfast were a nice touch. However, their dinner buffet was disappointing with next to no food remaining around 7.30 in the evening, so I suggest you go early.

Room: clean rooms and bathroom with cable tv. They pride themselves of their range of pillows offered, but when I called to request a foam pillow, they completely ignored my request and never delivered the pillow.

Wifi: no free wifi, not even in the lobby.

Would have given them 5 stars if they delivered my pillow and offered free wifi.

Room Tip: Request room facing the pool
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank xksb
Suffolk, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 23, 2012

This was my first stay in Cambodia, the first impression of the hotel from getting out the taxi is they are going to look after you, the reception staff were so helpful and I asked to upgrade to the club floor rooms, this is well worth doing.

The club floor is high class, the staff are professional and so helpful, Phalla Kem gave me very helpful advice on the city and where to visit and he also arranged me a taxi and hotel car for a trip to the Killing Fields and S21 prison. I quickly felt at home and relaxed. The hotel car was lovely, brand new, with a driver.

The food and drink, including a very good selection at breakfast was icing on the cake. The rooms were quiet, the air con was excellent and the bed was probably the best I have ever slept in. The rest of the hotel is very classy, I did not eat elsewhere as the club floor had all I needed.

The pool is well worth a visit, some reviews have said it is small, but not as small as I had expected, there is a swim up bar, the decor is very tasteful and the sun beds nice, it was also very quiet.

The river side, shops, places to eat and bars is only a 10 minute taxi ride away, there are tuk tuk motorcycles waiting outside the hotel, I am sure they are decent reliable people but with the chaotic traffic I did not fancy trying it to save a few dollars.

Room Tip: If you are likely to eat and drink in the hotel, pay to upgrade to a club floor room, breakfast, aft...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed December 19, 2012

The 4 days stay at InterCon was a pleasure. Right from the swift check in by efficient front desk to the floor maids. Always a smile or a greeting from the entire staff - great.
The room was large and had a good work space , the bathroom was well laid out and all was very tidy and clean. The rooms had a good cozy feel and you were not disturbed by noice from neigbours or the hall way.
Signed up as Ambassador member and thus I was able to enjoy the club lounge which offered good small bites and treats.
The breakfast at the lobby level was superb and offered all you can reasonably crave for.

All in all a very good experience and once I am back in Phnom Penh I will surely use the hotel again.

Peder Damm

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
phnom penh
Reviewed December 17, 2012

Stopped by the hotel to check out the Xiang Palace Restaurant and im so glad i did!

Some of the best chinese food to be found in phnom penh by far.

I had the duck pancakes and they were heaven! crispy duck skin with tender and juicy duck meat

Also tried some dim sum and sweet and sour pork and both were excellent

I would recommend this restaurant to everyone

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
tokyo
Reviewed December 1, 2012

I was staying there for a whole week to attend a series of seminar and meetings. When you stay more than 3 days in one hotel usually you'll have problem with boring breakfast. I did experience it though. But the hotel's food is good, some are excellent. What I really love is how they cater meals for our events: superb and generous.

Location is not at the city center, yet you can go around easily by tuktuk (yes, I am a tuktuk lover) quite cheap. They love USD and I even forgot what is the local currency since I never used it.
Room is fine, service is great. But internet connection is too expensive.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business