“Moving”

and up
Killing Fields and Prison S21 Tour
Ranked #13 of 135 Tours in Phnom Penh
More attraction details
Owner description: Welcome to the Mad Monkey Hostels Tours. During the day visit the Mad Monkey and jump on one of our Tuk Tuk tours out to the killing fields and S21, pay a fair price for your tour to the Tuk Tuk driver for a half day tour of both facilities. Then join us for dinner and then at night time do something positive. Then in the evening do something positive by attending our crawl for School event. The Crawl for School is a weekly pub crawl designed for young tourists and backpackers. Wrist bands cost $5 and provide you half priced drinks all night, 100% of your $5 wristband is used to fund education projects for poor kids in Cambodia. The event starts at the Mad Monkey rooftop bar in Phnom Penh every Thursday night, then hits Top Banana and Love Bar. It is great night out and a great way to donate to kids education in Cambodia. Tuk Tuk tour of the killing fields $12 - $15 (Depending on number of people) Eat at The Mad Monkey restaurant wide menu with prices starting between $4 and $10 per plate. Cocktails at our rooftop bar! Join the party and buy a wrist band from $5 per person.
Reviewed December 12, 2013

A very moving experience. It's a part of Cambodia's darkest time that needs be known to the world. This was an eye opener for me and quite an experience. I would recommend you get a guide once there ($6 US), we had an older gentleman who was very insightful and knowledgable, he grew up as a child during Pol Pots regime. It must be noted this might not be for all, it's very confronting.

All reviews
in 8 reviews
"visit cambodia"
in 11 reviews

Reviewed November 22, 2013

At first glance, S21 could be an ordinary school, and it's not until you start exploring the S21 buildings that you realise what took place. Our local guide was incredibly respectful towards those who were incarcerated in the prison, and gave us information to describe what took place, how prisoners were tortured and also some interesting and inspiring survival stories. I was very disappointed that some visitors did not show the same respect during their visit, some speaking very loudly and even laughing! Therefore, the one thing I think I would suggest for this site is to try to control the noise levels to a more appropriate level, as the noise was exceptionally disrespectful and really distracting. It was absolutely inspiring to meet survivors from the prison on the site, but I cannot begin to imagine how they feel after going through such an ordeal.

Reviewed November 12, 2013 via mobile

I went to s21 prior from going to the killing fields.. I had an awesome local guide which explained everything in perfect English.. Get a local guide!!

These buildings are haunting.. The number of people tortured and killed in these very rooms makes it a chilling experience. There are original photos of what the liberators found when they first got there which was posted in each room.. You can just put yourself in the photographers shoes.. Your in that original room and can picture the tortured dead body just in front of you.

Haunting , chilling, another must see to learn the evils of humanity.

Side note: we were lucky to find the last two survivors of this prison camps there. They earn a living selling their own book. There are no social services in Cambodia and that is their primary source of income. It is $10us so it's not a big deal to westerners. Buy both books if you can. Those books are my souvenirs from Cambodia.

Go.. Just go here.

Reviewed November 11, 2013 via mobile

Worth a visit so much happened there which never knew about. We used a lovely local guide. Spend time to reflect under the frangipani trees.

See more reviews
Reviewed November 9, 2013

To us, anyone visiting Phnom Penh this tour is a must. A visit to S21 and the killing fields to find out the history and hear of what their people went through and learn of what happened in their country and not that long ago either is enough to bring a tear to ones eyes, as it is so moving. As disturbing as it is I'm thankful I went along with my husband even though he didn't really want me to go. It has given us greater understanding about Cambodia and hopefully we shall all learn something from past history as NO-ONE should have had to go through what they have endured. It definitely makes you think about your own life and how grateful you should be for it.
It certainly makes you put things into perspective
Now we are back home we will definitely sit down and read the survivors book from S21. A tour that is very moving