“Fantastic Hotel”
Review of Riverside Suites

Riverside Suites
Ranked #61 of 331 Phnom Penh B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 30, 2012

We had a fantastic experience at this hotel, we stayed in a beautifuly decorated room with wooden buddhas, Cambodian style wall hangings and modern furnishings.
the room had a bed facing the river and a separate chaise lounge and coffee table, we enjoyed sitting out on the spacious balcony enjoying the view of the Mekong river while drinking a glass of wine.
The staff were friendly and very helpful, they spent time informing us on local attractions and where the best markets were.
the hotel is situated right in the middle of the 'tourist strip' on the riverside, so lots of cafes, restaurants and people watching to be had.
thanks for a great stay in PP

Room Tip: dont forget to take a sunset river cuise, the staff can organise this for you
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Riverside Suites

Reviewed July 6, 2012

I have said in previous reviews that it is the staff or people who really make the difference in a hotel/BB. This was sadly true right at the beginning of the two nights here. In fact if I am honest it started before that. I had spent hours trudging through TA trying to find the "right" accommodation - I read all the reviews, check the location, in short I tried and do my homework. This year I decided it wasn't fair just to use the service(0n T/A) without giving back so have made a concerted effort to write reviews on all accommodation this year.
After checking out their website - I wanted to book two rooms and had sent an enquiry off about the balconies, I love to sit at night and have a drink and people watch. So this seemed to be an ideal location. Got the answer back to my question rather promptly so went ahead and made the booking. There wasn't a lot to go by on T/A when I booked this hotel but being "new" how bad could be it? Included in this, I booked an airconditoned car from the airport to the hotel.
I should note at this point 50% of the two rooms and the transfer we immediately debited from my credit card. (This was not the case in any of the other bookings I made this year). Not a biggie but seemd a bit rough paying 50% of the accommodation six weeks ahead of arrival!
Two weeks later I recieved an e-mail from the person who had responded to my query about the rooms asking if there was anything they could assist with. How fantastic I thought - then I re-read the e-mail. He hadn't put two and two together and realised I had in fact already booked.

Arrived after an uneventful flight from Bangkok - had read lots of horror stories about Cambodian immigration, and was feeling quite stressed about going through the formalities. And I have to say it is quite confusing, there seems to be no logic to their processing of your passport. So, that over with, just waited for the luggage and out to arrivals. You guessed it no driver. Searched the arrivals area and eventually realised no-one was picking us up.Thankfully a driver approached us and offered his services.
When we arrived at the Riverside, I asked reception why no-one had collected us - he simply stated that the "taxi" must have been late!! what was so annoying was the service they charge $15 for we got on our own for $9. and that they didn't seem the least bit concerned that we weren't picked up.

One of the rooms had a leak coming from the base of the toilet, and water was running across the floor of the bathroom, when we asked for another room - we were told sorry we are full. They put bath towels around the base of the toilet to soak up the water. This continued for the two nights we were there. As mentioned previously the bathrooms have no doors this was not a problem in one of the rooms but the other allowed a full view of the bathroom from the door.

Not a great start to what was to be a once-in-a-lifetime trip to Cambodia.

What started as a disapointment turned into a stroke of luck - the taxi driver left us his card and said he would tkae us around if we needed to. So called him that night and he colleted us the next day and we did the Killing fields and museum etc.

Breakfast is great from the restaurant across the street on the last morning we were taking the bus to SR at 8.30am, so thought it better to order the early breakfast - it's not flash - just lots of bread.
However, is saying all this the location is awesome, watching the morning and evening aerobics down on the quay was fun.
It was such a shame that their lack of concern about the airport pick put a real damper on the start of our Cambodian trip, However it is fair to say that the staff at the hotel are very nice, just a shame about the apathy when there is an issue to be dealt with.

Room Tip: Lower rooms don't have such a good view of the Quay, but higher rooms means tramping up more sta...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank 925er
Reviewed June 30, 2012

The deluxe suite with balcony is really spacious and is very well appointed. You can see everything is new and of good quality. Basically it is excellent with the following possible qualifications: there is no lift (elevator), for me this is good it makes me do some aerobic exercise and the staff are helpful with the bags; there is no bathroom door, not quite as bad as it sounds because the bathroom is a distance from the other areas; the breakfast has a limited choice, it's OK if you can take a lot of eggs, it would be nice if there were khmer dishes available; the internet was a bit patchy. Avoid using their laundry, it is absudrly expensive and there are good places a few steps away on street 144.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed June 25, 2012

this hotel is wonderful. although at first we have problems finding the location because it is already 2 in the morning. when we got there, the staff is still waiting for us. the hotel room is clean and super BIG. Breakfast is good too. also good location, walking distance to the royal palace and other places of interests. the staffs are really helpful helping us organize the transportation and what to do every day. in a word, best experience ever.

Room Tip: however, the pool is in the sister hotel closely. i did not check it out.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 9, 2012

The hotel website set an expectation of quality and it was fully delivered. The friendly and helpful staff, speaking very good English, soon became like friends, too!

I stayed on both the 1st (G+1) and 4th floors. The lower floor is immediately above the bustle and noise of the riverfront cafes, but double glazing minimised that, so it was never a problem to me. However, don't expect a quiet "sundowner" on the balcony. The 4th floor is a light, good sized garret room – more of a hotel room than a suite, and affords excellent river views from the large balcony.

There is no elevator in the hotel so climbing stairs is a must!

The breakfast choices are good, and are prepared by La Croisette restaurant immediately opposite, at any time of day. Great coffee, too. I chose to eat there rather than in-room on occasion.

If internet access is important for your stay free WiFi should meet your needs, but don't expect blazing high speeds.

Many good dining choices close by.

Room Tip: No elevator, so expect to climb stairs. Lower floors are nearer the noise and bustle of the busy st...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed June 9, 2012

The Riverside is a new hotel and the room was clean and wide. I could relaxe well and enjoy the stay.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed June 7, 2012

This place is a stand out among Cambodia’s emerging boutique hotel scene. The rooms (I stayed in Junior Suite 202) are well appointed and slavishly clean, staff were generally friendly and helpful and the location is slap bang in the middle of everything. I walked everywhere from here, including the Palace, Central Markets and even Toul Sleng which was about 4km away. There is a lively local market 50 metres away on 144 Street where I ate local fruit to my heart’s content.

The best aspect of the hotel for me was the separate living space with couch and flat screen TV. I went to Phnom Penh to get away from it all, so the ability to unwind watching DVDs was just the tonic. The bed was heavenly and balcony was a terrific vantage point to watch the hurly burly of Sisoswath Quay unfurl beneath you. Breakfast at Le Croisette was great. I loved taking my time and reading the selection of local newspapers on offer – great way to know what’s going on around you.

The only negative experience for me, and it was a minor point, was being mauled by mozzies in my room. The cleaners (who do a great job) leave the doors wide open when they work which is an open invitation for mozzies to enter – it is the tropics after all. From then on, I requested that they keep the doors closed which they dutifully did. They even came in every day afterwards with a can of repellent to put the matter beyond doubt. Mark, the manager, also checked up on me at various times to see if I was okay. I was impressed by how they responded to this. It generally sums up Riverside Suites, there is nothing they won’t do to make your stay a memorable one. Mine certainly was and I would definitely stay again if I return to Phnom Penh.

Room Tip: The junior suites face 144 street so a bit quieter.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo