“Really inexpensive flash-packer hotel”
Review of Smiley's Hotel

Smiley's Hotel
Ranked #103 of 334 Phnom Penh B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 16, 2014

The "Smiley" was my home for 7 days while I waited for a Thai visa back in 2011. I felt like a king, having this big double bed, TV and aircon for 10 USD at the time. I was in a third floor, right in the corner, with windows looking everywhere. My bed was made two times per day, the mattress was terrific, and I just spend the days watching cable TV and walking around town while my papers where getting in order. Why to spend your money and time in a filthy hostel/guest-house when you can do it with style? Yes, it is not close to the river, but you know what? This place made my stay in Phnom Phen (not the best city in SEA) completely bearable.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank marksoc

Reviewed February 17, 2014 via mobile

Loved our stay at Smiley's. Staff was friendly and very helpful. Owned by a Cambodian family, so we had to be a bit patient with the language barrier, but what else would you expect? :) They were helpful with arranging tuk tuks to local places and buses to other places in the country.

Room was spotless -- very clean. Simple, but absolutely fantastic for the price. Incredible value.

Only downside is that it's a bit removed from the central river hub with the night market, restaurants and bars (hence the 4/5 stars). But, we didn't mind our short, cheap tuk tuk rides at all.

Highly recommend this gem!

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 28, 2014

The Smiley Hotel is very nice - in the middle of Phnom Penh. Yes, it is not near the river - but i liked it for beeing a bit "next to the main drag" where it is a bit more quiet - but still has a lot of options for Restaurants around.
The Staff is really friendly and helpful and their english very good.
I would always go back to the Smiley Hotel when I am back in Phnom Penh! Very clean! Very nice rooms and balconies. Very good bed/matress. Hot shower was working perfectly.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 28, 2013

We had to stay here as we had a problem late at night in a hostel over the road (Narins) so little choice.

We looked at a double room with a/c and it looked great, big sized room, fridge, television, ensuite bathroom and a balcony looking over the road infront. I think we paid about $20 a night for the both of us which wasn't too bad and the guy at the desk seemed helpful enough.
They arranged our vietnam visa for us but didn't really know much about it, though it was ready when they said it would be.

They dyed our clothes green and a rust colour, including 5 out of the 6 t-shirts I had (3 months travelling). When I asked them about it I was told it was my fault, and it was only our clothes in the wash, before the girl went back to facebook on her computer. I told her it was a member of staff who took them and put them all in a basket, and had to find someone else who would 'help'. They rewashed it, but the stains remained. I spoke to the manager who just kept telling me how fine it all was, no refund was offered, so i asked for one and got my $2 back, not before being told it was my own fault again by the manager.

We also hired bikes, and left them chained up outside. Despite them being locked and safe, this didn't stop the manager chaining their own stools to them, so that we were unable to use them. When we realised and needed to use the biked in the evening we were laughed at by staff outside, who offered no help. We spoke to the guy at reception who told us it was his manager who had done it, but he had no key. I told him we had to return them in the morning and if they hadn't taken the chain off by then I would have to smash the stool. In the morning they still hadn't taken it off, so we had to hunt the manager down and unlock it.

No apology was offered at any time.

Stay at Pra-tna, excellent hostel run by a friendly group, much closer to the waterfront, and less than half the price.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Eduardo O
Reviewed August 30, 2013

My wife and I always stay here when visiting Phnom Penh. The rooms are nice and clean (all include cable TV, fridge, hot shower and free wi-fi) and the staff are friendly and helpful.
The only down side is it's a bit far away from the usual "touristy" destinations (with the exception of Orussey Market, which is less than ten minutes walk). However, a $5 (or less) tuk-tuk ride will get you pretty much anywhere you want to go.
They have a kitchen and offer room service (note: the Asian dishes are quite good, the western dishes not so much.)
What can I say? We love this place!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Geordles
Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

if you are looking for a clean, cheap hotel/ guesthouse, this is a good bet. for $15, you get a decent sized, clean room with a/c and a balcony. if you want more space, its $20. you can also get a $10 room with fan for those on a budget.

rooms is surprisingly clean and bed is really comfy for the rates. staff are really friendly and security is excellent. if you hire a bike, they will lock it up for additional security during the night.

food stores, minimarts, pharmacy are within walking distance and orussei market is close by. but it is a little further away from the riverside ($2-$3 tuk tuk ride away).

overall, quite a pleasant stay and totally worth the money.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank KillerAngel78
Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

I can't even begin to explain the amount of hassle this hotel ended up giving us for such a short period time.

This was my boyfriends and my first time to Phnom Penh and arrived at the hotel late at night. The room was nice, large and with a balcony, which for $20 between two of us was ok, although more than what we wanted to pay, we paid the extra for air con.

That was the only good night we had here, after that it was problem after problem.

The staff are rude and unfriendly and unhelpful. We needed laundry doing after weeks of travelling in Thailand and India and paid $4.50 for what we had. We were told by the girl on reception to put it in the basket she gave to us, paid her, and were told it would be ready by the next day. At the same time we organised our Vietnamese visa as the guidebooks recommend you do it with your guesthouse. We were told by her that we had to give her the exact date of when we would be arriving into Vietnam as we would not be Able to use our visa before or after the date we have her. We paid her upfront and left. When we received our washing the next day there were green stains on everything. We tried to wash the stains out ourselves to no avail and realised that the stains were actually caused by dye off of something else. We took the washing to reception and showed the girl our clothes. She looked at them and was as shocked as us at the stains on everything. She spoke to another girl who seemed to work there (but was sat on Facebook on her computer). An argument ensued between them in Khmer as the girl on Facebook looked at us and rolled her eyes. The girl with our clothes then said that this girl had washed them and that it was 'our fault' as no one else's washing had these stains. We had to argue with the girls until they agreed to rewash it all.

The next day our washing cane back with the same stains. We asked to speak to the manager and was told the manager was not available and again after much spoken between the staff in khmer were told it was our fault and were shouted at.

While staying here we had re yes bikes from a local company and had locked them up the 'parking area' outside. After putting our laundry in our room we went down to get out bikes that we had locked up to go to dinner in the main area which was very far away. We found our bikes locked with a second lock to a large bar stool next to a bunch of hotel staff sat round eating. When we asked them who the second lock belonged to we were told 'maybe our boss'. One guy laughed at us and said "ha ha ha maybe now you have to get tuk tuk eh?" Then they continued with their conversation. I went inside to get the manager to be told the manager was not available. I explained about the bikes and a gentlemen who worked the nights huffed and got a cup of keys and bought them out to the bikes. We stood there as he tried what felt like a million keys to find that none if them worked and were told "you have to
Wait, I don't know who has the key" We explained that we needed our bikes to go to dinner and were met by shrugs from the night staff and laughs from the staff eating. Infuriated we asked where the manager was and when they would be in and told them if the chain wasn't removed by the time we had to take the bikes back to the rental shop the following morning, we would be breaking the lock ourselves and their stool.

The following morning we obviously checked out at the first opportunity to go elsewhere. We asked for the manager. The manager was there. We told her about our clothes and showed them to her. She spoke in Khmer to the staff and again after some arguing between themselves she said "the girl says this is your fault". We couldn't believe it. When we asked how it was possibly our fault, she pointed and said you must have had something in the washing that did this so it's your fault. We told her she was unbelievable and td her to give us our money back. My boyfriend handed her his dyed tshirts and told her to throw them out as they were ruined and she laughed. She said thr girl will pag as its her fault
And gestured for the staff member to pay. Again they argued and She then have him $4. We said it cost us $4.50 and you should be giving us at leafy that got our ruined clothes. She laughed again and said "no no this is fine". I told her it wasn't and she gave us another fifty cents.

We then told her to
Unlock our bikes or we would remove the lock. Again she laughed and said "it's fine, it's fine" and took a few set of keys out to try. As she did this we explained to her that because the bikes had been locked up the previous night, we had to walk for 40 minutes to go to dinner. She simply replied "why didn't you must get tuk tuk?"

After we left we also found out that we could, infact, enter Vietnam early but not late.

I would never recommend staying here to anyone. We me we once received an apology for either our laundry or the bikes, and were constantly treated like crap. Awful hotel run by an awful woman with staff that have been trained in an utterly incompetent manor.

• Stayed: August 2013