“the place to taste some local food”

Phnom Penh's Night Market
Ranked #30 of 131 things to do in Phnom Penh
Reviewed May 11, 2013

Visiting a market in a city is always a good place to get a local feel and visiting the weekend night market in PP is no different. It is located on Sisowath Quay and has stalls for various items, clothing, handicraft, shoes, etc. But the most interesting is the food stalls surrounding the open place that provides the place to eat lesehan style (on a plaid mats to sit on). Recommended for those who have no problem trying and eating food from street vendors.

Reviewed May 11, 2013

For all visitors to Phnom Penh, I would highly recommend a visit to this night market. The night market is only operating during weekend. It is a mixture of stalls selling clothings, shoes, watches, artifacts, etc . In fact, almost everything. The prices are good , but limited selections. There are also many food stalls selling local food. The sea food are very good and at very good prices. There is also live entertainment with singers and comedians. It is also a good place to interact with the locals. The entry is free. The venue is near the river front; so one can take a break from the warm weather by walking to the riverfront for some cool breeze! Lots of motorcycles and "tuk-tuk" to move you around.

1  Thank 313globetrotter
Reviewed April 10, 2013

We went to the night market on our first night in Phnom Penh (note it is apparently only open on weekends). Paid $2 to get there from our hotel (The Plantation). It has plenty of cheap watches, silk scarves, clothes, shoes, DVDs etc. There are also food stalls but we didn't try any so I can't comment. We bought a couple of DVDs and are happy with the quality. Paid $1.25, bought 5 and got one free, so a very good bargain. The DVDs are cheaper here than in Siem Reap. We bought our son a watch and he swam with it on the entire holidays and it is still working, which has been a pleasant surprise. Only paid $3. They have a stage in the centre and the local crowd seemed highly entertained by the singers. All in all a good night out. I've given it a four-star rating mainly because it isn't as large as the other markets so it is easier to get around. It also has wide walkways and is not nearly as tight a squeeze as the other markets. Make sure you bargain!

2  Thank templin_travels
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Went here on my last night with a couple of friends for some bargains....and bargains I did find especially in clothing, however you are all packed in like cattle, you can hardly move which was concerning regarding valuables. Lost my friends completely within 10 minutes in the chaos but the hustle and bustle of it is part of the appeal. Cleanest market i have seen in Cambodia. Worth a least a walk through, just hold tight to your possessions and friends!

Reviewed March 30, 2013

Between the central market and this night market, I like the latter more. Its very small but the vendors are more willing to strike a deal fast and swift. I got amazing good deals from them. I went down by 50% and the negotiation were fast and i had my hands full in a short time. Central market can give you complacent sellers who are not even interested in bargaining.

Go to the night market earlier at about 5-6PM when its still bright and they are just setting up. They would want to close the first deal smoothly so do your shopping early and they are willing to slash the prices for the first customer. Its bad luck if the first customer walks away, it might mean a bad business night will follow!

Do not eat at those stores that sells food and you get to picnic on the mats infront unless yo have an iron stomach. I see them setting up the stores and using filthy water to wash their disposable plate and the food. I cant believe my own eyes. So dont even think about eating !!!!

2  Thank Singapoorean