“Good quality, low price” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Le Leela Hotel

Le Leela Hotel
Ranked #161 of 333 Phnom Penh B&B and Inns
“Good quality, low price”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2013

Very beautiful room, big and high and cool, nice the walk-in closet, good the service.
Not too far from central market, neither from riverside (few min by tuk tuk, 20 min by walk). Very useful the swimming pool.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Benedetto S

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Toulouse
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2013

The staff was ok, except for the woman receptionist, she was rather sullen , I asked for a room with a balcony with sun when I checked in, but my balcony was in the shade all day, she then promised me another room with sunny balcony, but not only did I not get the room, my room was not made up that day...!! Breakfast a joke, no restaurant or snacks at this hotel...and. Not much around to go walking for a snack or meal...
Pool inside, small and cold, stuck in between reception, dining area and two different staircases...no privacy, no sunU
Too bad because you can see that an effort has been made in the rooms and bathrooms
I also notice that on the agoda they only have comments made in September 2012...while I was there in January and I don't see my evaluation ....strange????

Room Tip: Ask for a room with balcony in the sun
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Solmoon
Selangor
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2012

This was my 1st visit to Cambodia and my 1st day was a mishap that turned out to be a blessing in disguise. So I don't put high hope on Le Leela Villa as well because of the mixed reviews on Tripadvisor but I really looking forward to stay at this charming colonial house and decided to give it a try. I booked 2 Deluxe rooms-40usd and 1 Premier room-50usd months in advance. But make sure you communicate well through email to confirm your booking. The day we arrived from a long and tiring journey from Siem Reap, we felt relieved and happy to get such a warm welcome from the staffs of Le Leela, they even welcome us with a nice and refreshing lemon & ginger drink. And they were generous enough to upgrade the deluxe rooms to executive rooms that were so lovely and spacious.

My premier room was another story. I have to book the twin room because my young adult son was sharing the room with us. The room is adequate in size with high ceiling that I love, ample size cabinet/mini walk-in wardrobe plus all the basic necessities. But, the washroom is small with just a shower curtain separating the shower area and the toilet, and that makes the floor flooded if you took a long shower. The shower unit and the water heater is too high and being a midget I am, it was a bit difficult to reach. And most I don't like was the strange odor in the room I suspect was coming out from the toilet. Luckily I brought my automatic air freshener (a must travel item) and the problem solved right away. If you're a light sleeper, please bring an earplug because the hotel is situated right beside a busy main road & you can hear noises from as early as 5am to midnight. And sorry, all 10 units are facing the same road, so there is no guarantee you can have a peaceful and quiet stay.

The location is not perfect and to get to the places such as Central Market and Russian Market, please expect to pay around 2-3usd-one way. Most of the tuktuk drivers aren't familiar with Le Leela address, just ask them to bring you to Hopital Callamet/Pet Callamet, they will know the direction, Le Leela is just a few hundred meters ahead from the hospital on the opposite road. There are few restaurants around that area so there should be no problem to get food if you don't want to travel far from the hotel. The rooms came with free breakfast but with two selections only, A-continental breakfast & B-cereal. It took forever for one set to arrive because they caters to it one by one. I suggest they can do much, much better with buffet style breakfast perhaps? Provide more varieties, delicious, fulfilling breakfast and guests should be happier.

All in all, it was a very nice experience staying at Le Leela Villa and how I wish I can stay longer in a much nicer room. But I'm more than happy for my friends who get to stay in the executive rooms, they couldn't be more happier, thanks to Le Leela Villa! I'll definitely stay here again in a heartbeat and recommend it to my friends and family who come to Phnom Penh so they can experience the authentic old charm atmosphere of Le Leela Villa.

Free WiFi - Yes!

Room Tip: Try executive room for more space and bring earplug to get a really good night sleep.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank NJQistina
No Fixed Abode
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2012

A beautiful old colonial style building and what I would describe as a boutique hotel. The rooms were all large and retained an old world charm as did the rest of the property. All the staff were very helpful and the breakfast included was pretty decent too. Sure, the place isn't perfect but it makes up in character what it lacked in perfection! Location-wise, is just north of Wat Phnom area although is an easy half hour walk along Sisowath Quay to Riverside Area a tuk tuk @ $2 or less may be better idea. The drivers outside the hotel were all fairly knowledgeable and we booked a few days with them, all great fun.

Room Tip: pay a little extra and upgrade to one of the better rooms. Well worth it, especially the upstairs ro...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2012

When we arrived we were greeted with an ice cold towel and a ginger/min/lime ice tea which was much needed. We were then offered to be up-graded for free, which we obviously accepted graciously. We were soon to discover that we were the only ones in the hotel, which we didn't mind at all. The lady at the desk (cambodian with short brown hair) was so lovely and friendly, even without the upgrade and welcome drink we felt very comfortable. The hotel itself is an old french colonial style house that has been reverted. They were doing renovations while we were there, and were told they didn't have a kitchen yet, although they offered breakfast, which was - as other reviewers have said - simple, but it is also very nice, with a mean cup of fresh coffee and the choice to add sides at a small price. The pool is very small, but enough for a refreshing dip - and placed right next to the reception area. Whether that is a good or bad thing is personal opinion.
The only problem I had with this hotel was the shower facilities. The bathroom in the suite we had was huge, however the shower itself was not. I'm not a giant, I stand at 5'8", but the shower head only came up to my rib cage. It was in a large bathtub, which was a nice change from other hotels I have been staying in in cambodia, however the water pressure from the shower head is also little more than a heavy trickle, so filling the tub up would be a long test of patience. Also, even though the water is warm, it wouldn't suffice for an entire tub. So showering was an effort for me, as it would be for anyone taller than 4 foot tall.
The location isn't so bad, it takes 20mins to walk to the riverside, and their is also some great side streets with great little restaurants and bars near by.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Jakarta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2012

The staff will greet you with the sincerest smile I have ever seen. The hotel has only 10 rooms and it's on one of the busiest streets in Phnom Penh, across the Calamette Hospital (have the staff write it down in Khmer, in case your tuk2 doesn't know Frang*French* Embassy). In the room, there's wifi connection *not really fast but good enough*, electric water kettle, small fridge, shower with mighty water pressure, clean towels are provided but bring your own bath necessities. The swimming pool is more like a baby pool, good enough for splashing or dipping *a welcome break after you spent a day out and about in the hot dusty Phnom Penh.
There's a gas station in the corner on the left of the hotel within 2minute walking distance with a minimart and ATM that dispenses USD. Further down from the gas station is the Raffles Hotel *in case you want a fancy nightcap* The river is supposedly not too far *if you really like walking*. The Central Market is 5 minute away by tuktuk. This hotel is not suitable for those who want to be close to action *check out the river side lodgings*
I stayed for 4N in the last week of March and missed the very basic breakfast mentioned by another reviewer because I had to leave very early every day.

Room Tip: Light sleepers might want to ask for room in the back or on upper floor.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2012

This beautiful colonial house is only 5 minutes away from the riverside. It has been recently taken over by famous NYC galleriest. So its Photography Gallery/Hotel. With great photography all over the hotel.

We loved our stay. We love the building and the friendly staff and most importantly the shaded pool to cool off after a hot day. We stayed for 5 days and we would go back again.

The lunch and breakfast were great as well. We would go back just to have the beetroot salad.

Room Tip: The 4 main rooms (executive) are the best. Large rooms, with bath and large balcony.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple