“VERY disappointing” 1 of 5 bubbles

Add it.
Slek Chak
Ranked #848 of 1,382 Restaurants in Phnom Penh
Cuisines: Asian
Description: great restaurant in phnom penh (found it through lonely planet), one of our best restaurant experiences in SW Asia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“VERY disappointing”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

Despite some pretty poor food and not such friendly service, this is what happened. I ordered something, and then the waitress came back and told me it wasn't available. I then pointed at a couple more dishes on the menu, which she also said were not available. I then pointed at another which the menu clearly stated was $3.75. She said ok, available.

When we got that meal, it was just some VERY hard, chewy meat, about 5 strips, and not special at all, or seemingly like what the menu described.
I had also ordered two waters for a dollar each. She also had come back regarding that to say they were not available, but there was a big water, which the menu showed to be $2.25.
However, there was another separate drinks menu which I hadn't checked, which for that particular brand of big water was $3.50!!

So I get the bill later, and sure enough the big water is $3.50, not $2.25, to my surprise. And also, all of a sudden the beef dish is $5 according to my bill, as opposed to the $3.75 on the menu!
I ask to see the menu, and I show her that it is clearly stated $3.75! She just says, sorry...the price has gone up, and that the price has changed. I say that's not good enough, and she just looks at me with an unfriendly expression.
Now, the water as well, was supposed to be just $2.25 (when actually I had originally ordered two small waters which would've just cost $2). So I look in the menu to point that out to her as well, and all of a sudden, mysteriously, the drinks part of the menu is missing. But she does then bring me the SEPARATE drinks menu, which shows the big water of that specific brand given to me (as a result of them not having what I originally ordered), to be $3.50!

Anyhow, I was very kind about it all. I'm polite and friendly and easy-going. But even though I was sort of duped a bit on the prices (especially with the beef dish. I mean, c'mon!!), she indicated that, bad luck, I'd just have to pay what they were asking....
I calmly just said that I wouldn't go back to them again.

Anyhow, it was an unfriendly vibe there from the get-go....
And I ended paying almost 15 bucks for some rice, five little strips of greasy, tough, taste-less beef, and a simple salad and water. In Cambodia, that ain't a good deal!
I am not stingy, and I never write reviews for anything, but this I thought was pretty poor. So I am writing a review!

You can go to this restaurant. But I won't again!

Visited July 2013

Oulu, Finland
“Great food and reasonable prices”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2013

I really liked this restaurant. Waitress was very friendly and service great. Dishes were big and tasty! The bill suprised us because the amount was so small :)

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Epsom
“This is a brilliant local restaurant and well worth a visit.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2012

I am amazed that no one has yet written about this place. It is actually called Sleuk Chark. There is atmospheric outdoor seating under ceiling fans, or try the upstairs room where you sit at a low table on mats with a backrest. This is the traditional way. Food is traditional Cambodian and it is frequented by locals - which must be a recommendation. I had "sweetly burned quails eggs with frogs legs soup" for my first course - stunning. The whole meal cost me about $10 - and you can walk to it from the quayside if you have the energy.

• Visited November 2012