“Good Hotel for Backpackers - Not Families.”

Sundance Inn & Saloon
Ranked #18 of 339 Phnom Penh B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 30, 2014

A good value hotel that’s well located, has clean and comfortable rooms (one of the best beds and pillows we had in Asia), and a good bar on the street level. The bar (which is also the lobby) is active, draws a good crowd, has great drinks that are reasonably priced, and the western food we ate there was surprisingly really tasty. I think this is a great place for solo or couple travelers. I would not recommend for family travelers as it’s as much of a bar as it is a hotel. And yes, there is a pool, but the way it's situated next to the bar - it was never appealing to us for relaxing or reading. Breakfast is not included. Wifi is good in the room and the lobby. The hotel handled our Vietnam visa and bus ride for us, which was great. We did not have any issues with noise; if that’s a concern of yours. More about our time in Phnom Penh at www.thetaleoftwotings.com

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 7, 2014

I booked into the Sundance for one night and stayed five, never wanted to leave, Harry, Colin, Rory managed a fantastic bar, it's not just the service, what about the locals, had to be the funniest friendliness casual bar I came across in SEA.Food was great, rooms cleaned daily, swimming pool to die for, fantastic hairdresser across the road( wash blow dry straightened $3.00 AUD) If u want to have a great time I recommend Sundance, if u r a musician or u think u can sing JAM sessions Tue night something that shouldn't be missed... It's gold

• Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed April 10, 2014

Gotta give it a 5 because the great positives outweigh the small negatives. Paid $5 more here than my place the previous 2 nights and it was a welcome world of difference. Just popped into write the review because I was contemplating returning to Phnom Penh and thinking I'd love to stay here again.

Good:
Very clean
Great bed - large and comfy.
Smart TV (computer hooked up to TV) a new thing for me. Even having a laptop and iPhone, it was great being able to pull up YouTube on the flatscreen HD.
Bar - has a great atmosphere, reminds me of a US pub. Good food and very reasonably priced drinks - made well at that.
Pool - Small but it was good.
Someone mentioned 'drugs and hookers'... it seems you can smoke your weed freely at the pool and it's definitely 'guest friendly'. These go down as positives in my book.
Staff also very nice and helpful.

Bad:
I also didn't really have hot water. It sometimes got close to warm.
Safe didn't work for me either, but I didn't try until the last night and I was rather drunk anyhow!

Room Tip: The smaller room is adequate.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank Spenser R
Reviewed February 8, 2014

stayed here for 3 nights

The bar downstairs has a large poster on the wall "no prostitutes, no weapons, no drugs" which clearly isn't enforced as everyone was smoking drugs and lots of seedy westerners with khmer prostitutes. Didn't see any weapons to be fair!!!

Our room was very small, there was no hot water for the whole stay, the safe didn't work and the ceiling leaked water. however for the price we paid the it didn't seem that bad. The room was clean, bed was comfy and actually quiet despite the busy bar downstairs. didn't use the pool as there wasn't really anywhere to sit in the sun

good central location

we booked our onward journey through sundancee to Phu Quoc - Vietnam which was actually good, despite the mini van been late (standard in se asia) wit was fairly comfy and included easy passport control checks with assistance at the boarder

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank katycrunchie
Reviewed February 6, 2014

Nice rooms, cheep drinks, good food, safe bicycles for hire, friendly helpful staff. Drinks were so fairly priced and the characters at the bar, both local and travelling were so friendly that I overindulged. Next day to shake off my hangover I hired one of their bikes and cycled along the Meekong riverbank. Bike was perfect but my riding skill a bit wobbly. Loved it though and will hire cycles more often. Good fun hotel. Tough pool table. Pot 4 balls in a row and you should turn pro!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed January 15, 2014

When our Tuk-Tuk driver asked us where we are staying and we answered Sundance Inn, he asked us, "Why did you choos to stay at Sundance? It's very very small."

The building indeed looked small. We were looking for the reception table, and it happened to be at the bar table. We had to walk a very narrow stairs to get to our room so we expected a very modest tiny hostel room.

To our surprise, the room is large, the bed is big, and the bathroom is excellent. I really love the ambiance and since we were staying in four rooms we could see that each room has a unique decoration with the same theme. I am considering many of their decoration ideas for my own bed room. I actually think the room (including the bathroom) is actually 4-stars standard.

So the moral of the story is, don't judge a hotel by its lobby. This is the best value hotel and the most comfortable one during my Cambodia trip.

The service is also great. I need to send some postcards but since it was Sunday, the post office would be closed and I had to catch the plane that night. I was really disappointed thinking that my postcards would go to waste, but someone from the hotel offered to buy me some stamps and send the postcards for me. I can't thank him enough for this.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 13, 2014

The Sundance is located smack-bang in the heart of PP. A great location on the riverfront side of the city, a mere 2 or 3 blocks away. The rooms are situated above a bar, staffed by very friendly and happy locals that serve both good food and cold drinks! There is a pool that can be used by both patrons and guests, and can be a fun hang-out at night as it is joined to the bar. The rooms are modern and clean. The bathrooms are spacious with rain-showers and new amenities. The rooms feature comfy and huge beds, a fridge stocked daily with a couple of bottles of water, an air conditioner, a 32" flatscreen with cable TV, and a PC attached for browsing. St 172 can get quite busy during the night, with plenty of bars close-by. They also arranged airport pick-up by tuk-tuk which was very handy and cheap! I highly recommend for a solo traveler or adventurous couple, and no-doubt I will stay here again when I return with my wife.

Room Tip: Suggest asking for a room on the top floor.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo