“great place to meet new friends”

Sundance Inn & Saloon
Ranked #18 of 322 Phnom Penh B&B and Inns
Bangkok, Thailand
“great place to meet new friends”
Reviewed February 6, 2014

Nice rooms, cheep drinks, good food, safe bicycles for hire, friendly helpful staff. Drinks were so fairly priced and the characters at the bar, both local and travelling were so friendly that I overindulged. Next day to shake off my hangover I hired one of their bikes and cycled along the Meekong riverbank. Bike was perfect but my riding skill a bit wobbly. Loved it though and will hire cycles more often. Good fun hotel. Tough pool table. Pot 4 balls in a row and you should turn pro!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Reviewed January 15, 2014

When our Tuk-Tuk driver asked us where we are staying and we answered Sundance Inn, he asked us, "Why did you choos to stay at Sundance? It's very very small."

The building indeed looked small. We were looking for the reception table, and it happened to be at the bar table. We had to walk a very narrow stairs to get to our room so we expected a very modest tiny hostel room.

To our surprise, the room is large, the bed is big, and the bathroom is excellent. I really love the ambiance and since we were staying in four rooms we could see that each room has a unique decoration with the same theme. I am considering many of their decoration ideas for my own bed room. I actually think the room (including the bathroom) is actually 4-stars standard.

So the moral of the story is, don't judge a hotel by its lobby. This is the best value hotel and the most comfortable one during my Cambodia trip.

The service is also great. I need to send some postcards but since it was Sunday, the post office would be closed and I had to catch the plane that night. I was really disappointed thinking that my postcards would go to waste, but someone from the hotel offered to buy me some stamps and send the postcards for me. I can't thank him enough for this.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed January 13, 2014

The Sundance is located smack-bang in the heart of PP. A great location on the riverfront side of the city, a mere 2 or 3 blocks away. The rooms are situated above a bar, staffed by very friendly and happy locals that serve both good food and cold drinks! There is a pool that can be used by both patrons and guests, and can be a fun hang-out at night as it is joined to the bar. The rooms are modern and clean. The bathrooms are spacious with rain-showers and new amenities. The rooms feature comfy and huge beds, a fridge stocked daily with a couple of bottles of water, an air conditioner, a 32" flatscreen with cable TV, and a PC attached for browsing. St 172 can get quite busy during the night, with plenty of bars close-by. They also arranged airport pick-up by tuk-tuk which was very handy and cheap! I highly recommend for a solo traveler or adventurous couple, and no-doubt I will stay here again when I return with my wife.

Room Tip: Suggest asking for a room on the top floor.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Reviewed January 7, 2014 via mobile

Rooms are very nice...newly renovated, hardwood floors excellent bed. Pool is great!...clean and not overcrowded . Staff very friendly , rooms cleaned daily . The Pub on the main floor is popular on this street but has a nice vibe , locals not just hotel guests. Yes there is noise when it's lively but this is Asia!.....the street itself is nice and quiet after midnight.

Stayed January 2014
Reviewed January 6, 2014

Stayed over Christmas 2013 - seedy dive bar for white old men to prey on poor Khmer women. Wifi was awful. Room was awful, noisy and right above woeful karaoke until 12am.

Only saving grace was the Turk who runs the restaurant beside the hotel.

Hated the place beyond words.

• Stayed December 2013
6 Thank VesVes82
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed January 6, 2014

Great location, walking distance to the riverfront and the grand palace. Met the owner Harry, a very nice American man. We booked for 3 nights and he had his tuk tuk driver Pany picked us up from the airport. He also put us up on the top floor away from the noise of the streets. Room is good and most importantly we can get a good hot shower. The saloon bar is comfortable and you can relax in the lounge watching sports on the big screen TV. Would recommend this place to any budget traveller who like a clean, friendly hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms on the higher floors away from street noise.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed January 5, 2014

Location is quite good, where a lot of the backpack areas are (not on the super busy end though). Rooms can be damp but will go away with your AC on for 5min, bed is actually huge, but can be tight for room if you need space to open you massive suitcases and so on. The whole building is really cool, and the bar on the ground floor is a good place to meet people and get drunk. Staff are remarkably friendly, food were ok and the swimming pool area is a good place to chill during day or night and wifi is covered in all places.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo