“Is what it is” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #24 of 333 Phnom Penh B&B and Inns
PP
“Is what it is”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2013

Stayed here in October. When I arrived the staff didn't know whether a room was available and the manager appeared unable to speak. After a few minutes of waiting I was given a room key. Half way through my stay the manager shows up at my room and says that he thought that I had left. I stated that I had paid for ten days. He asks me if I paid cash because he has no recollection of the transaction. I note that I paid with credit card (glad I did) and that I have a receipt. He then asks me if he was drunk when I checked in. I say that I cannot answer the question. I did not observe the man drink and I do not have special powers to measure blood alcohol levels. He could have been having a stroke for all I knew. I try not to presume things about people or speak about things for which I do not know the facts, unlike management.
The mattress was foam and it was thick and firm enough to provide good support. The in-room computer was very convenient. The large LCD TV is a nice feature. The wood flooring in the rooms and hallway is unique and a nice visual touch. From time-to-time a foul odor came from the plumbing in the bathroom but it was not overpowering. A couple of the light fixtures did not function. Noise from the pool area was never a problem. Things wind down by 1 or 2am on the weekends. The pool is a nice touch as there are no other hotels in this price range with a pool. The pool was usually empty. Note that the pool is small and not suitable for laps. For the price, the room was decent. I do not fault a hotel that charges $25 a night for minor issues.
I never ate in the bar and cannot comment on food. I did stop by the bar a couple of times. The mixed drinks are the house special. They cost $1, are made with call brands, and are very strong. Draught beer is cheaper elsewhere. Most of the time I entered the hotel through the bar. Frequently the bar had only male customers. If you've seen Mo's on the Simpsons you'll have a feel for the saloon. A sign notes that prostitution is not allowed. More accurately, active solicitation is not allowed, but once you have made your arrangement, feel free to stop by. The British(?) bar manager was polite, coherent, and a nice enough guy.
The location is very good. There are many good restaurants, bars, and tourist sights nearby.
As a single male traveler the vibe of the place wasn't a problem, but this might not be true for everyone.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Michael M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
derbyshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2012 via mobile

I stayed at the Sundance at the end of November which I found through trip advisor and what a find! It's in a good location with clean spacious rooms and friendly staff that are more than happy to help and advise with trips and the price you should be paying for a tuk tuk etc. if are looking for a good quality hotel with great staff on a budget then I would highly recommend!!

Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Chiang Mai, Thailand
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2012

Two cons - near to national Museum (5 min. by foot) and Royal Palace (10 min by foot) and not very high price..... but.... - very noisy, music played almost all night, I slept on the first floor and all guests from higher floors were walking very near to my window therefore I can't open curtains..... Also about staff - I arrived in the evening and barmen who also worked as a manager on the reception - was drunk!.... No eating in hotel, a fridge didn't work, my room have never been to clean 2 days.....
So, it's very short resume: awfully!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Elena_A-Doni
Vienna
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2012

First of all, we were travelling as family, so maybe we had other expections, than you have. I booked here because the owner showed me one room ( the best for sure ) and so we also booked another room and the suite, which should be on the same or better standard. What we got was pretty old room with one of the most disgusting bathtub in the bedroom, muld and really the opposite of clean. ( see pics )
The whole guesthouse is more a bar, with sport-TV, cheap beer and it has this "very old white guy with very very young asian girl ( profession unknown ). Not really good for families or couples but these "special" couples will maybe like it. There is no reception or something like that. Even the better rooms are in my opinion overprices for Phnom Penh with this standard. I recomend places like " Le Leela , one of the frangipani hotels or starwood inn "

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Martin B
Harold U, Owner at Sundance Inn & Saloon, responded to this review, March 3, 2016
Well it's been years since this review but I still thought I would thank you for the motivation to remodel the suites. As you can see from my pictures they are extremely nice now and no bathtubs. The room I showed you wasn't the best, it was actually just average for the then new rooms. If you're traveling in Asia you should get used to older men with younger women I see this at all classes and styles of hotels, bars and restaurants. One reason is Asian women generally look much younger than they are and the other reason is the obvious world over. Though I wish more couples would put so much time and effort in reviewing a room they didn't even stay in. I hope you enjoyed the rest of your holiday and it was better than the 5 minutes you stayed at my hotel.
Bangkok, Thailand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2012

I was a bit dubious when booking, for some reason the name put me off a little, but this is a real find. Right from the start i loved it.
The staff are extremely friendly and helpful, the rooms are spacious and comfortable, the pool is a treat after a hard day tramping the streets of Phnom Penh and the beer is always tasty.
If they have a room available make sure you stay here.

Room Tip: Book early
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2012

Never been to Cambodia and dint know what to expect from the accommodation.

I was greeted by a warm smile on arrival then when shown my room, i thought i must have been upgraded, it had all the mod cons including a flat screen TV, my own PC linked to the internet, fridge, huge bed, safe box and a divine en-suite bathroom.

The bar downstairs served tasty food with a pleasant atmosphere. A travel desk was located on the other side of the hotel, i never used it but was there for booking trips etc. I didn't really stay long enough get a feel for the area but everything seemed to be close, i would highly recommend this place.

The jewel in the crown has to be the small pool at the back of the hotel, it looked so inviting when light up at night.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Wagga Wagga
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2012

Stayed for 2 nights and enjoyed myself. The hotel is great value for money, beer is cold, food great and the staff are both prompt and obliging. Wifi is fast, pool looked inviting though didn't try it. The owner, Harry, does a great job.

I had a smaller room but was quite adequate - safe and TV with lots of channels. This particular room overlooked the street so you will get noise from motos etc from sun-up.

Room Tip: Rooms of the street will be quieter.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business